SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Post your garden helpers - Pets in the garden

newyorkrita
15 years ago

Some pictures of peoples pets in the garden have snuck in here or there in posts. I thought it would be interesting to have a post showing your pet and garden helper. Here is mine, my cat named Bumble Bee enjoying the terrrace garden earlier this year. Add yours.

{{gwi:681373}}

Comments (36)

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

What a pretty cat. I have two black cats,but could only find a picture of one of them. I lost a bunch of my picture I had when my computer crashed back in June,and this picture is not a very good one.This one is the older one that came to my house about 8 years ago,skinny and starving,and I fed her and she stayed.She left for a couple months then came back with 5 kittens and I fed them and next day they were all gone.Later she came back again with 3 kittens and they all stayed,and later I took them to the vet and had them"fixed" so n o more kittens.One kitten got hit by a car and died,and one disappeared,and I still have one of them,plus this moma cat.I named her Blackie
    {{gwi:952729}}

Jean

• tepelus
    15 years ago

Here's one of my dog Poppy, sitting amongst my daylilies.

• Related Discussions

What garden/gardener inspires your design in your garden?

Q

Comments (16)
    So many interesting websites, to get inspired by, these days. I loved the Oudolf site as well. I wish I had room to put in a truly huge mass planting, and still be the plant collector I find myself to be. Maybe some day I`ll be able to do that. In the meantime, it is wonderful to live vicariously through others and their gardens. I agree, Gottagarden`s gardens are inspiring. The red garden she posted in 06 has always been a favourite of mine. I wish I had the space. Hmmm, I say that a lot. :) I just bought hot Papaya Echinacea and love it. I`m sure she`d approve. :) Gottagarden`s picasa site Yeona Here is a link that might be useful: Gottagarden`s red garden
    ...See More

I like to see your rose garden with pets.

Q

Comments (56)
    I love seeing all of these adorable babies! I wish that my digital camera was working. My kitty Chester could be a twin of Kate's Bligh and he's 20lbs too. The garden is his favorite place to hang out. I am working on getting him used to dogs, but so far he chases every dog except the old yellow lab next door, and they are great friends, so I know it's possible. I didn't believe that he chased dogs until I saw it myself! Diana
    ...See More

Los Altos Area: I'll be your garden helper if you be my mentor!

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you so much for the guidance/leads! I think I'm going to miss out on the seed exchange, but I will most definitely look into the Master Gardener programs locally. Toffee-el...I'd love to connect with you! Let me see if I can figure out a way to send you a private message...
    ...See More

blooms, garden helpers, garden views. part I

Q

Comments (10)
    Lovely views!! And beautiful daylilies. Yes, they open new ones every day now, so exciting. I like Raspberry Fantasy, Beautiful Edgings and South Seas the most. My Strutter's Ball was doing great until I divided it this year. What an adventure for your little Babe.. Poor thing. I hope he'll now be afraid of that or any other big trees! His twin brother Max here climbed.. me the other day. I sure was scared it happened so quickly! Thankfully the scratches on the chest, neck and head were minor, but I was in a kind of shock for hours.
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    15 years ago

Here are my "helpers". Mojo (left) and Chessa (right).
    They do a great job keeping the squirrels and bunnies out of my gardens. And Mojo has his territory "marked" well, so the deer don't bother us either! LOL

Linda

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

This is a neat thread...I couldn't find a photo of Angel (Cocker Spaniel) and Lilly (rescued from shelter) in the garden, but here they are last winter, snuggled in their favorite chair.

And here's MJ (my son's GS) who now thinks she belongs to me since she stays with me most of the time. :)

Angel and MJ love to chase the squirrels out of my garden, and Lilly prowls the area for any other varmints that might be threatening my dl's. LOL
    Jan

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Roxy - you want me to get out of where???

Qira looking over HER yard

• bigack
    15 years ago

Here's my two helpers, Allie and Maggie, see how they're chasing critters out of my gardens, lol! They're sisters, 9 yrs old.

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

Here is my precious baby Gizmo sunning on a stepping stone. I really like this thread.

Dot

{{gwi:704893}}

helping unpack daylilies

• njmomma
    15 years ago

OMG - I can't choose the cutest! They are all so cute! I wish I wasn't allergic to pets now because I grew up with cats and a dog and I loved having them around.

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I have too many helpers:
    Pandora/Pandy I found in a parking lot when she was a kitten, almost dead
    {{gwi:952745}}

Holly & Abbot

Miss Spitty- named because she hisses so much. Don't DARE call her a cat, she loathes the beasties. She allows me to live there because I feed her, she'd get rid of the other critters but they just won't go away.

Roady/Roadkill - named so because he almost was. I stopped my car in the middle of a busy 4 lane road during early morning traffic, barely grabbed him by the tail before he could run off.
    {{gwi:439413}}

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

This is such fun...love seeing everyone's garden pals and the stories behind them are great too.
    Thanks Rita for starting this thread. It's something fun to do on a stormy, rainy day. :)
    Jan

• mareas
    15 years ago

This IS a fun thread! Here is Bumble Bee's long lost relative Velverina, working in the daylilies on the opposite side of the country...

{{gwi:952751}}

Velvie came to me with her eyes still shut & needing a bottle at maybe 3 weeks of age 14 years ago, having been found under a blackberry bush by uninformed but well meaning people who turned out to be allergic to cats.
    Marea

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

I don't have any pics of our dogs in the gardens. If I did you would likely be witnessing the end of the gardens. I did catch our gray kitten lounging in the lap of our garden fairy statue. She does this quite frequently.

Linda

• phaltyme21
    15 years ago

These are my "helper"/ The black one is Cosmo and the
    calico is Foxy. They like to play among the daylilies and
    don't mess up the plants.

They are 13 year old siblings---Cosmo was the runt of the
    litter but considers himself the boss around the house. Foxy is a sweet little cat and full of mischief.

I wish I could pet everybody's cat or dog.

Kay-phal

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

I love this thread with all the pets.Some very pretty kitties and pups here.,ok,ain't some other folks got some to post, too?I was going to try and get a good picture of my 2 babies today,but got busy and forgot all about it.And right now,I have a super duper headache and dont want to mess with it right now.

Jean

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

My best garden buddy was Spitz. He had the same personality as Miss Spitty. I will always miss him. But now I have The Sams.

Sam the Cat. No, he's not dead.

Sam the Dog helping out in the garden last May. There's nothing wrong with the name Sam, you know.

Last night Sam the Dog chased the evil Raccoon away from the pond and up into the avocado tree. Good Dog Sam!

Sam, Sam, Sam and Sam (just kidding) Nugget, Quasimodo, Audrey Hepburn and the chicken formerly known as Blanche helping by STAYING OUT OF THE VEGETABLE GARDEN!!!

More photos please!

Renee

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

hahaha Love Sam the cat,He looks so sweet sleeping so hard there,so relaxed,not a care in the world.I love that flower garden too,Its beautiful.

Jean,, Like those chickens, too.

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Renee your kitty Sam favors my kitty Lilly. :) I love the chickens too....and your flower garden is gorgeous.
    Everyones "garden helpers" are so sweet. Pets do so much for us, don't they?
    Jan

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

LOVE all the pets as much as the flowers maybe more because they are with us all year. Love the chickens also, I had chickens a long time ago, I love fresh eggs. Sam the cat sleeps like my Gizmo, lately he has taken to sleeping right in front of the fan, not that I blame him either, its still very hot here.

Dot

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago

Gracie is quite the gardener. She eats any srtay hummingbirds.

• happyjacq_bris
    15 years ago

Hello all. I love this thread. Not only do you people have beautiful gardens but ever such cute and wonderful looking garden helpers. These are mine.
    Zippy....Miniature Poodle

Lily...daughter of Zippy

And last but not least....Ditten (daughter was young then and couldn't quite say kitten)

• njmomma
    15 years ago

Renee - your pets are gorgeous! Love that blooming iris with Sam the dog. What beautiful chickens. Are they chickens? They look too beautiful to be chickens. My dad said he had a chicken for a pet in Brooklyn when he was little. (a chicken in the city?)

edward - Gracie looks very regal! (but almost too fat to be able to be catching birds - LOL)

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago

Gracie is anything but fat. That is all hair. She lurks in the Monarda and when a hummingbird comes along she leaps up in the air.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Oh my, Edward, I hope you are only kidding that your cat
    kills hummingbirds???? That would be terrible.

Sweet looking pets everyone! I am partial to those German Shepherds, what beautiful dogs!

It's fun to see everyone's helpers andespecially those pix taken in all of your beautiful gardens.

Linda

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago

Hi Linda, she has gotten a couple but usually they get away. We have gotten used to the idea that cats eat birds and mice and ocassional squirrels. Earl, who I do not have a picture of, is our big game hunter. He has gotten a squirrel. Arnold is to fat to catch anything but he can usually catch Earl after he has.

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Hee hee hee. I like Arnold. What a great name.

Natanya, I'm glad you like the irises. Can't wait to see yours.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. The garden will be much prettier with daylilies in it next year!

I LOVE the chickens. Aren't they gorgeous? Chicken breeders remind me of daylily hybridizers: making the world more beautiful with their art and science.
    I got the chickens this year on March 26 and we just got our first eggs.

The story of the Sams:
    Sam the Cat is 13, adopted from the pound as an adult, already named. He has 28 toes. DH says "he sleeps the peaceful sleep of the true psychopath."
    Sam the Dog inherited last March at 3 years old. She's a genius. She has NEVER STEPPED FOOT INTO ONE OF THE GARDEN BEDS!!!
    Renee

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marea- Wow, our cats sure do look like long lost twins. I was surprised at the uncanny resemblence. Of course I think Velverina is just a stunning cat.

Like all the other kities too, especially the other tortie, Foxy.

Love the chickens, they sure are handsome.

Love all the dog pictures too. Was quite taken with the two sisters Allie and Maggie. Everyone else was really handsome too.

• ladypat1
    15 years ago

I love this thread! Noitce how you see more people's personalities thru their pets? And the photos all look like they should be framed! AND we see more of people's yards. More! More! More!

Pat

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

More like plant killer than a helper! I can only imagine what my yard would like like without him...yet, I can't imagine my life with out him! He's my partner in crime! This is Jasper. I adopted him from the Humane Society at the age of 1.5 & he will be 5 in Dec. He is a mix of White German Shepherd & Pointer. I've gotten really good at throwing the frisbee so he doesn't end up in my garden. The neighborhood kids is another story. He is really good at keeping ALL varmints out & 90% of the time misses every plant on his way to them. My most ironic story is before I got him I never had an issue with rabbits. One fall he caught 1 & killed it. Horrifying listening to that squeal & bones crunching. I couldn't get it away from him & like an idiot called him in the house. He comes in WITH the dead rabbit & plops up on my bed! EEEWWWW! I got him locked up & had to deal with the warm & very flippy floppy rabbit. Ever since, the rabbits have taken revenge on my yard! He WAS trained to stay out of everything that was mulched & that got kaboshed when I realized he needed some shade in the heat of summer. I redesigned a corner of my yard to lead a path under the Japanese Maple to give him some shade. Just recently he has acquired a secret admirer that lives on the other side of that fence...a female Yorkie name Nala that tries to escape to be by him.

="{{gwi:952765}}"

="

"

PS: What size should these pics be so they don't appear so big?

• phaltyme21
    15 years ago

This is not my pet but I simply can't resist it.

Meet Cluckles - my daughter's pet. He stays with her in the large daylily garden and gobbles up the baddies she finds, including slugs. He is a friendly fellow.

Kay-phal

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Oh what cuties you all have!!! Jasper looks like he wants to PLAY!!

Kay, what a BEAUTIFUL rooster! Raised two hens on a town lot (neighbors were cool with it) - and they were hand raised, so you could pick them up and they loved to be pet. Soft little ladies!! I am sure he is really popular with the ladies!!

• juliet11
    15 years ago

I really enjoyed meeting everyone's pets - they're all adorable! Here are mine:

Chester (3 years old - I found him when he was about 4 months old a few blocks from my house. He has extra toes and he loves to fetch.)

Ginny (2 years old - adopted her from the SPCA - she was a feral kitten. She really likes us, but hides from strangers.)

Juliet

• laurelin
    15 years ago

It's been fun to see your garden "helpers"! Mine don't go outside, but they supervise from the windows and prune the houseplants:

This is Molly, the baby of the family, a.k.a. the pesky little sister cat. She's 2, and she specializes in bird watching.

This is Sophia, the old maid. She's almost 12, and detests Molly. She loves to be on my shoulders, and makes a great scarf.

This is B.C. (Bad Cat), our little old man cat - 13 and holding on. He was very ill recently, and we thought he wouldn't make it, but he used up another of his lives and is back from the brink. He doesn't like being outside - he's a bit agoraphobic, and cries like a baby if he goes out on the porch and the door closes behind him.

We've also got a menagerie of other critters. My DH is afraid we'll become a petting zoo/aquarium.

Laurel

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

This is a fun thread. Everyone has cute sweet babies.

This is my friends frog he's a bit confused as to what he is LOL Birdfrog?

Bo the biggest baby in town, he maybe big but he's a softy.

Lacy the ham she loves her picture taken. She loves being outside chasing squirrels.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

What a wonderful thread! All of your helpers are so adorable! I would love to snuggle them all as well!

The area around my gardens is wooded, so mine are not only my helpers but protectors as well. If they bark and chase off after something, it was probably a deer. If they stand at my feet and growl and bark, it's probably time to go inside......

Bonnie and Lexy getting a little spring sunshine on the deck while I pruned my roses.

Ginger in my fairy garden. She and her sister Mocha are called the "Thunder Twins" as they come running out of the woods and you can hear them and feel the ground vibrate before you see them.

Mocha--the second "Thunder Twin"

My baby Hunter, who likes to hang out by the back door in case there are any handouts comming.... he also is partial to sleeping with his nose in my wooly thyme!

And I couldn't resist posting this one of Bonnie helping make sure the pond was dug to the "proper" depth.

Sometimes they are hard on the garden, but I would never be without any of them!

Julie

• hemerocallia
    15 years ago

Here the Hemerocallia helpers

• excuria
    15 years ago

This is Yardie. He helps keep rabbits and voles away!

{{gwi:952787}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting