SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Daylily or Lily.... How do I choose?

joannemb
14 years ago

I had decided on placing Lilies in the narrow bed behind my boxwoods along my front porch (about 20 ft. long.) Thought I'd do both Asiatic (Bright Diamond) and Oriental (Casa Blanca) so that I get blooms throughout the summer.

Now I'm reading about how easy daylilies are. I had originally shyed away from them because I thought "They only bloom for a day--I'll be deadheading all summer and how long could they really last?" Now I'm reading they bloom all summer... true? Are they easier to grow than Lilies? I plan on putting them in a place that gets East morning sun and shade in the afternoon. I'm clearly a newbie (if you've been reading my posts on the forum, it's pretty clear) ;) so I'd like something that I can't mess up too badly.

Also, I have a question about the foliage on both plants. I'm not a fan of the spikey foliage that some lilies seem to have... the stem with leaves coming out horizontally all the way down the plant. Are ALL varieties of lilies like this? It's hard to tell from online pictures because so many just feature the actual flower. Daylilies seem to have more of a daffodil or iris type leaf right?

Thanks for you help! :)

Joanne

Comments (7)