SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amisoup

RAIN and butternut squash

Amisoup
11 years ago

Hi all! I'm in the Jacksonville / St Augustine area. I just created a login here at GW, so get ready to see my name a lot! I have a ton of questions! The one I'm dying to address now:

I have two Butternut plants growing on a 6' tall teepee trellis. They are in a raised 4x4x3' bed filled with Mel's mix. They have been excellent and growing like, well, weeds. With all this insane rain, I've had to hand pollinate and hope things weren't too wet at the time. Right now I have two growing squash. The rain is wreaking havoc on the leaves - many are turning colors and I can only suspect mold. Is there anything that I can put on them during dry weather that will help keep the mold at bay?

AND - the other night, I noticed this weird white SQUISHY stuff that seemed to come out of one of the squash. There's no hole, and there's no soft area so I don't know where it is coming from! There's about 1/2 a cup of these small crystal - like clear/white squishy things. I don't think there's any way it can be an egg as it's clear, and there's nothing wrong with the squash. I wiped it away to check the squash, but I might go back out tonight to snap a picture. Have you guys heard or seen this?

Thank you thank you, I'm so glad there's a world of master gardeners that love to help!

Amy

Comments (20)