SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Ordered from Land of the Giants Hosta Farm

in ny zone5
10 years ago

I just did my first order this year. Since others have described what they are buying this year from nurseries, here is mine.

I just ordered 8 hostas from Land of the Giants, but that is all my garden can handle. I thought there would be no more space on my 0.45 acres, but I found new hosta real estate. Last fall two trees were removed with stumps ground out. Then I added a long bed in front of the back fence, dug gravel into below the fence against voles, there is some space. In the front I need to offset the effect of neighbor's large Arborvitae, medium to large hostas would do this nicely. Then there I have some poorly performing perennials, location gets only morning sun, there is another nice space.

So I decided to give Land of the Giants another order, do this yearly since 2009 when I realized my then 35 different cultivars were not enough, have now 210, duplicates and seedlings not counting.

In spite of my small property I like larger plants because you can see what cultivars they are from 20 ft, smaller plants are like a blurr to me until I come closer. With larger plants I can see my whole landscape. I usually got divisions of mature plants from LotG, often several eyes each. So with those plants I do not have to wait for too many years as with 2 year old tissue culture plants as I had received from other sites. For me size, quality and maturity of plants is important, LotG provided that for me. They have a great catalog. Some of those I ordered I saw in a Hosta Journal, liked the story and pictures there.

So I ordered :
'Hollywood Lights', will be in front of the house where I removed a Blue Spruce 'Hoopsie' last fall, gave it to a neighbor.
'Choo Choo Train' will be in the area of a ground-out tree stump.
'Gentle Giant', is another large blue one, love those.
'Alex Summers', a nicely variegated one, famous name.
'Elatior', a classic.
'Golden Sculpture', a beautiful gold.
'Frosted Jade', another classic, will replace a smaller Francee.
'Final Summation', I can never have enough S&S kids.

Last year I ordered and received h. 'Millenium' from Land of the Giants. I placed it in front of rhododendrons, am really interested how that will come up this year after it was already big when I got it, see this picture.
Bernd

Comments (23)