SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Olallie Daylilies that really are Late Bloomers!

newyorkrita
14 years ago

Last year about in August I had a post called "Olallie Daylilies are they really late Bloomers?" or close to that. It was when I was looking to expend my season and get things that DEFFINATELY started up in August and bloomed during August or later.

I had gone thru the late blooming section and just thought that anything they listed as starting in August would start too early for my needs. I choose ones that they said bloom in September. My thinking was that they were not going to start in September here but by going as late as I could with those Vermont bloom times, I would get August FFO.

It has worked exactly as I thought it would. I had some FFO and I have others of the Olalies still to start blooming. Hurray for daylilies that start in August.

I have

YELLOW SIGHTS

FALL PINK MELLON

RR RED

RIGHT REGAL

BRIDAL LILAC

OLALLIE MACK

TYPE ALPHA

BUTTERSCOTCH HARVEST

DIMPLED CHEEKS

I intend to try some that say late August and see how that translates in bloom time here. Meanwhile I know I will add more of ones listed as September blooming as it has turned out very well.

Comments (22)

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

Who or what is Olalies? I must have missed some posts as I don't see it on my list of ones to check.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are a daylily farm in Vermont that grows mostly its own hybridized daylilies. Many are not AHS registered and they can be told by the VT prefix or suffix. The only reason for not buying VT ones is if your interested in showing your daylilies. Only AHS registered can be shown. Not a concern of mine as I could care less about daylily shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olallie Daylily Gardens

• Related Discussions

More Late Bloomers

Q

Comments (25)
    My freebie from Song Sparrow is in bloom today (Cinnamon Pleasure). Unfortunatly we had such terrible rain overnight and early this morning that all the daylilies that opened today were beaten so badly that the petals are just about disentigrated. So I can't tell anything about if it might glow or not. The flower shape is pretty ordinary. Anyway, it has more bloom buds on the scape so hopefully I will get a better look next time.
    ...See More

Olallie Daylily Bed - pics

Q

Comments (18)
    I have been thinking about it today as the Olallie order arrived and I have decided to expand Olallieland. I can't expand it too much as there are things planted all around it. But on the top part of Olallieland is a really big and overgrown Lavender that really looks very weedy looking. If I take that out and chuck it, I can nicely get two more in along the top over by the wall. Then I can put one in front staggered like you do when planing multiple rows of daylilies. You can just see part of that lavender in the first two top pictures off to the left. The really late ones I ordered, the ones they say bloom in September, are going in Olallieland. Will just go along with my others there. The 4 I bought that they said bloom late August in VT, I planted as part of the second row in the new daylily row I now have in the front side yard. They are the only things in the second row but it looks good to me.
    ...See More

easier way to find late bloomers

Q

Comments (12)
    Try Woodside nursery, you can click on late and it will show you 20 pages of late bloomers, they send very nice plants, great people to deal with. Nice selection and this is Darryl App's last season selling DL's from woodside, so you can only order untill the end of July, I think. One of my favorite late bloomers is El Desperado. I believe the popular Primal Scream is a late bloomer too. Don't have it, but its gorgeous. Waiting for the price to come down on that one. I find Ollalie to be a bit expensive, and they mostly have older varieties, but everyone has different taste. Hope this helps! Happy Hem hunting! -Jessica
    ...See More

Hurray for the Late-bloomers! (photos)

Q

Comments (12)
    Celeste, all of these are so beautiful. How lucky you are to have so many lovely late bloomers. I'll bet you are not suffering with high temps right now like we are. It will be close to 100 degrees for the next few days. That's one reason I think late bloomers might not do so well here, they would be burned out now. However, Beautiful Edgings is still going, and I have found several new scapes on Leebea Orange Crush, and if we get a cooldown by this weekend, all the DLs just might start in again, will wait and see. Avedon
    ...See More
  • mizellie
    14 years ago

I remember that thread! Hurray for late bloomers...Ellie
    PS..Where are the pictures?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some pictures were on my FFO thread, some of them haven't opened yet.

Its just that last year I had thought this out in order to get August bloom. I had no PROOF that it was going to work, but in my mind I was sure it was going to work. This year the proof is in the pudding as my Olallie Daylilies start to bloom now in August.

I have been looking over at the Olallie Website for afew days trying to figgure out my finial choices. I like to think about various choices if I have time before I have to buy. But I have decided so I just submitted my order.

I bought more of their listed as blooming in September ones and some listed as blooming late August. Stuck to late August only, not going to mid or early August.

So from the September bloomers I got-
    VT CREAMY YELLOW
    VT GOOD AND GOLD
    VT SHOCKER
    VT THE LAST MELON
    VT WISHING STAR

From the August bloomers I got-
    LATE GREEN THROAT
    VT GALA
    VT MAROON BRANCH
    OLALLIE KEITH

I stuck to ones that had decent budcounts listed as there are ones with 6-8 buds listed. I think some of the ones I bought last year were low budcounts. But I figgured I would just be safe and pick higher budcounds for now.

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link Rita. Whether its registered or not is not a concern of mine but color,form,bud count and increasing are. I just am aiming for a later season of bloom as we are winding down and only a few have started their blooms. Others which started in early/mid July are ending within in the next week or so.

How are the Westbournes for late season?

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julia- I hate to admit it but I never even notice when I buy a Westbourne if its listed as Mid or late or whatever. I did notice that W. MOMS CINNAMON ROLLS is blooming late and I planted that last year (didn't bloom last year). Also W. TERESA MY BEST FRIEND blooming late and planted here last fall.

More late bloom has been a big deal to me since the end of last bloom season here last year when I just about went bonkers when the daylily blooms ended. Thats when I knew I had to get serious about adding more late bloom. I had added last spring 6 Dale Thomas late bloomers but they bloomed midseason that first year. All blooming late and VL this year.

To have alot of late bloom, its my opinion one has to get out of their comfort zone and expand their horizon. The Olallie daylilies are plain janes by todays standards. If they bloomed on July 4th (start of peak) for me here, none would be in my garden. Its simply true that a daylily starting bloom July 4th that would be tossed for being to plain is cherished when it starts blooming August 4th or later.

• njmomma
    14 years ago

Thanks for this post. I caved and ordered from Maryott's but I'll save up next year to order from Olallie some late late ones.
    I think I need a bigger property. ;)

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I'm getting to your way of thinking Rita, I'm really missing my blooms. I need more late daylilies!

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

I want to do what you suggested and group my late bloomers close together since it makes a nice show rather thna having one here and two there.
    kay

• njmomma
    14 years ago

yup, I'm about to go bonkers myself with all of mine almost done. Sure, Jen Melon and Final Touch are blooming, but really, it's mostly green! Wah! :(

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

well, RITA, Wheres our pictures of these late bloomers??? I look forward to your beautiful pictures every day, but,haven't found any YET today.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will post some pictures in the morning. I was very busy today working in the garden and still have lots more to do but I did make some time to take pictures :-))

• lynxe
    14 years ago

"The Olallie daylilies are plain janes by todays standards. If they bloomed on July 4th (start of peak) for me here, none would be in my garden. Its simply true that a daylily starting bloom July 4th that would be tossed for being to plain is cherished when it starts blooming August 4th or later."

Undoubtedly true, but IMO you can have your cake and eat it, too. I have a couple of Olallie catalogs somewhere, and I once had plans to order from them. I'm sure the daylilies are very nice, and they do serve quite a valuable function in the garden. But I didn't order mainly because too many were not registered.

Catalog and database searches and requests for suggestions should give you more names of lates and very lates than you have room for in the garden. :) For example, juliany plans to contact Curt H. for late intros of his. He has a fair number....just quickly skimming I see AFTERGLOW OF LOVE is a VL; AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT, a late; JOHANNA LEE AHRENS, VL; PALACE OF LIGHTS, a late; SUN TEMPLE SPIRIT, VL; THE LEVITATING ANANUKI, a late. He has many, many mid-lates as well.

And that's just from one catalog. If we start a new discussion on lates & very lates, there will be so much to choose from!

• MaxBaerHems
    14 years ago

Lynxe,

I just want to state that your knowledge and input, especially as of late (Seems that you are posting more) is very helpful and informative. I wish you would add your insight, more often! Nice to have things put in perspective.....Thanks!

Rick

• lynxe
    14 years ago

Ack! Someone thinks I'm an expert! No no NO LOLOL. I consider myself a newish newbie still, and I am a TOTAL sucker for a pretty face! Seriously though, thank you for the very kind words, but I really don't consider myself to be all that knowledgeable yet. But what I do is get lots of catalogs and spend WAY TOO MUCH time looking at hybridizers' and sellers' web sites....I belong to several lists....I enjoy visiting gardens, love being able to see tour gardens during conventions, regional meetings, etc.....I've gone to the same AHS display garden several million times at this point, and I always see something new or learn something new about the plants, or I see old, familiar faces in a new light....I've taken a garden judges and exhibition judges clinic....I belong to AHS and to two local clubs, and I entered my very first daylily show this summer (what a blast that was!)....I have catalogs, price lists and newsletters from the latest going back years....I have a near-complete set of AHS journals....I have TONS AND TONS of images saved, with text files of the posters' accompanying comments on the daylilies, on daylily culture and etc etc etc....the hybridizers with whom I'm not at least semi-familiar? Probably just a handful of local ones here or there throughout the country.

IOW, there are SO MANY ways for everyone to learn and pick up useful info. So you can pick and choose what seems right for you at the time. (IMO everyone should at least consider joining AHS and at least one local club....I think the cost is trivial relative to what you can conceivably get out of it.)

But despite all that, IMHO the REAL experts and knowledgeable people here are floota, shive, and others like them, who are long-time daylily growers who have or have had substantial daylily collections (compared to my really rather smallish one) and who know so much more than I do....

still, I do feel pleased that you enjoy some of my comments. :)))

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lynxe- As far as not to buy because they are not registered that was not a concern to me. Its not like they were some first year or unbloomed seedlings or plants that didn't make the cut to be registered. They just mostly don't register their daylilies and just use the VT designation.

I am glad of the pictures and discussion going on here of the Curt Hanson daylilies. But as you say, he has alot of lates, how is one to know? He makes it impossible to buy from him with no website. Not all of us have old catalogs lying around. I never had any of his catalogs and had sometimes looked on line. But now that Hanson daylilies have been brought more to my attention, I will be thinking about them for the future.

As far as the Olallie's they are only a part of my plan for late bloomers. I have the Dale Thomas intros and the Hibbard intros and the Olallies. Then I just have been finding true lates were I can. I can tell you that while the Olallies are plain janes by my standards I am still extremly pleased with them. They bloom at the correct time for me and look ok to me. I think that once they get clumped up they will look very nice. I would never have ordered more if I wasn't happy with what I bought last year.

• gonegardening
    14 years ago

Good for you, Rita. I think you've done a fine job and have enlightened quite a few folks to the possibilities of lates...that they might not have been aware of.

We're always learning, if we weren't, we'd just be standing still and how boring would that be. I think it's wonderful that you come here and share what you learn/find.

I'm sure one of these days you're going to go to the Northern Mecca or at the very least the 2012 AHS National (hehe) and then you'll find even more...

By the way, I went to a club event last August and Olallie Keith was blooming gangbusters. I had bought some...actually from the host...off the LA a few years before...and have never had it bloom any for me. This year, it's a couple of pitiful fans that I'll move to my new "Last Chance" bed (ha). Actually, though, I've found that sometimes you just gotta try one again...for whatever reason...which I'll probably do...buy it from another source...because it clearly is a late bloomer...(just not here...yet!).

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I will find out next season just how late OLALLIE KEITH will bloom here. Its one of the ones they list as stating late August, which, if things go as they have been, means that it should start late July here.

And for anyone interested, there is a picture of the first flowers of VT TYPE ALPHA on my picture thread today. I actually thought it was very pretty when I saw it blooming there but then again, the awesome stuff I have that stops you in your tracks when it blooms is mostly done.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That bed were I have the Olallie Daylilies is in bloom now when just about everything around it is not. I don't think they are plain anymore, I just think they are wonderful for blooming in August. I know these late bloomers I added late last year are really paying off now and saving me from going crazy at the end of bloom season. Now compaired to most of the daylily beds at peak bloom, this is not a lot of bloom. But its still a heck of a lot more than I had last year.

• shive
    14 years ago

Late bloomers are wonderful! My season used to be over by the first or second week of July. Now I have blooms throughout July and into August. I wonder if your Olallie cultivars will take you into September?

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would guess yes, considering that some have not yet had a FFO. Then theres one thats been blooming thats a bud builder so I think that one just keeps going.

Next year should be better as I bought even more of them.

Plus the Hibbard intros have been blooming away and the late bloomer bed in back of the garage is blooming away. Then adding those VL intros from Jim and Margo, I just keep on working on adding the late bloomers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was just checking the Olallie website today and they have many of the late and very late bloomers back in stock for sale that were no longer available late last summer and early fall. Including lots of my favorites like VT BUTTERSOTCH HARVEST, VT TYPE ALPHA and THE LAST MELLON.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting