SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freeda_gw

Opinions/votes please - Cut down the maple??

freeda
17 years ago

Hi gang ... I posted this earlier this week in "Trees" so now I'm here asking my hosta friends what you think. "Trees" did answer my question about the roots, so now I'm just asking for your take on this from the hosta-lover/grower's point of view. Taking this tree down seems to be a pretty dramatic move to most I mention it to ... but I don't know if I can bear to watch my huge, beautiful hostas disappear. Note: Please don't suggest I just move my hostas ... these are HUGE and I have absolutely no place else to put them. Are there any other solutions out there other than pulling out the chainsaw? I've tried extra watering, but my babies still shrinking, slowly but surely. Thanks!!

--------------- here's my post:

I don't know if I will actually go through with this, but I'm considering removing a relatively young maple (6-8" dia trunk?) and have a question about roots.

Several yrs ago I lost an old apple that sheltered a beautiful hosta bed ... I'm talking some huge 6 ft diameters, as well as some costly and lovely rarer varieties. I needed a tree that would grow quickly and was advised by my garden center to get a maple. They knew I was trying to protect my hostas. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I had absolutely no idea that some trees' roots would smother my plants ... which is exactly what is happening. Although I am considering relocating some of my hosta, this was my primary shade area and don't have many places to go.

Since I was naive about trees and their roots to begin with, I'll go ahead and ask this now ... if I remove the maple, how long til the roots die? Or, bottom line, can I expect my beloved hostas to recover within a reasonable amount of time (1 season? 2?)or ever in this same spot??

Good news would be appreciated ;) Thanks!!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County