SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roflol

Baffled on choc mint and lavender deaths indoors

roflol
17 years ago

Hello! Hoping the herbal-experienced can help me with some questions as I am learning to keep things alive in my house, please. :-) Two different scenarios but same outcome: dead plants.

Chocolate mint plants were dug up mid summer from my mom's bed of the stuff and planted in crockpot-type kitchenware (rocks in the bottom for drainage, clean potting soil); seemed to do fairly well outdoors on east wall.

Lavender cuttings (unknown type) from a neighbor, about 12 inches long and dipped in honey (no rooting compound available and had read somewhere that honey was an acceptable substitute) and put in potting soil.

The lavender cuttings were never outdoors. All 12 cuttings were stuck in a large pot mid October in the "plant room" - east facing, 1 window, no window shade. They seemed to do well for a while, stayed nice looking, perhaps even had some new leaves on them, then suddenly they stopped looking so great and the leaves dried up and the stems turned brown, and I was left with a pot of vertical potpourri.

The chocolate mint plants were outdoors for at least a month, maybe two, and boy did they smell good. I brought them in before frost, and it went downhill from there. The leaves would get limp and shrivel. Once in a while it would look like there was sprouting from buried root or runner, but nothing ever came of it. During one of the warmer days a couple of weeks ago, I gave up and planted the whole pot back outside as a last ditch effort.

I am learning the hard way about root rot from my failed corkscrew vine cuttings, and I wonder if the lavender died from this as well. If so, how on earth do I avoid this in the future?

I have no idea what I did wrong with the choc mint, unless that was another watering problem... or if gnats wreak havok on them, as I do have issues with that critter as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Terri

Comments (2)