SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesky7_gw

Globe Artichokes

bluesky7
13 years ago

Several years ago I was able to get an artichoke plant to produce one artichoke, variety, 'Imperial Star.' The newspaper gardening expert printed my picture with the plant and artichoke. He had told me, because I'd written him earlier, that it would be very doubtful if I ever got one to grow and produce here in S. Florida. When I sent him the photo and short write-up, he printed, 'it just goes to show you never say never.'

Well, I truthfully haven't had great success with any future plants producing. Oh yes, the plants were beautiful, but when the buds appeared, they'd shrivel up and drop off while very small. I know our climate is not conducive to growing globe artichokes, although, it did happen for me that one time. I grew them as annuals, not perennials, and tried the 'vernalization' method with the seeds. I'm thinking that last winter would have been great for growing them due to it being unusually cold for so long.

Has anyone in zone 10 or even 9 had success with any one particular variety? Sure wish they'd develop a globe artichoke that would do well in South Florida. They are so delicious and healthful, and quite expensive in the supermarkets.

Thanks,

Sheri

Comments (12)