SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmm_3

Non-tropical pool plants

MMM_3
10 years ago

I'm in Central Florida, and looking for non-tropical style plants for a pool enclosure. I have spent hours looking here and on plant sites, but I'm so overwhelmed. Our home was sorely neglected when we bought it, meaning vacant for two years. We have the pool up and running, and have pulled out all the dead palms. The house has a cottage/Cape Cod feel, and I don't want to use the tropical plants (cannas, sea grape, hibiscus, crotons, etc.), that we had at our last house- just want something different.

I believe that it's NE facing, and gets a decent amount of shade. Our property is heavily wooded and has lots of pink azaleas and magenta crepe myrtles. I was thinking to compliment that color family. We have this long odd space against the house that gets rain runoff from the screen enclosure. I'm thinking a low ground cover here- any thoughts for that?

And around the pool? Should I dig all the dirt out, and start fresh? No telling what's living in there. It's full of all sorts of ferns and weeds that came back after the initial cleanup, and I'm afraid will pop back up, again. Low maintenance and minimal leaf drop are the husband's main concerns. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)