SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne_6oh

Hosta Seedlings (long - lots of pictures!)

jeanne
16 years ago

A few years ago I decided I wanted more small hostas, and rather than trading for them crossed the two little hostas I already had, Lemon Lime and and unknown streaked mini. In 2007 those seedlings started to bloom and I spent the summer snapping pictures! To me they're all special and precious, I'm sure to the casual observer they aren't anything to write home about. Would any of these pass the 10 foot rule?

I call this one Starpower because it reminds me of a miniature version of Sunpower.

{{gwi:903022}}
This is a small hosta, leaves 3 1/4 X 1 1/8 and scape 15". It seems to be a rebloomer.

{{gwi:903023}}
Sweet Pickle Pie

{{gwi:903024}}
This one is also small, 4 1/2 x 1 1/4 and 14" scapes. Reblooms.

{{gwi:903025}}
The leaves emerge plain yellow and the color comes later - it seems to be a form of sun scorch, although it always looks neat and doesn't look unhealthy. I'm not sure if this is a desirable trait or not and would like to know the opinions of the forumers here.

{{gwi:903026}}
Wolfspider

{{gwi:903027}}
This one is a mini, leaves 3x1 with a 13 1/2" scape. I named this one Wolfspider because of the way the leaves curled, it reminded me of a wolf spider den.

{{gwi:903028}}
Lime Cooler

{{gwi:903029}}
This one is my personal favorite. Leaves 3 1/2 x 1 1/2, the first scape measured 8 inches but I'm sure next years will be longer. Not only does the flower color contrast nicely with the leaves, the plum seedpods stand out as well. This is also my longest lasting hosta. When the rest are brown and curled at the end of the year, this one still looks fresh as a daisy.

{{gwi:903030}}
Raspberry Wine

{{gwi:903031}}
I won't bore you with a picture of the leaves, they are plain green, 4 x 1 1/4 and can be seen in the bottom left corner. I love this one for the raspberry colored blooms that sit atop 16 inch scapes.

{{gwi:903032}}
Chlora and Chloris

The chlorosis twins. I debated tossing these for awhile, but something told me to hold on to them and they might develop into something. Now I'm glad I did, their coloration is unique in my garden and almost have a bronze cast to them in late summer.

Chloris

{{gwi:903033}}
Chlora

{{gwi:903034}}
Chloris also has has some color to the scape...

{{gwi:903035}}
and nice color in the flowers

{{gwi:903036}}
{{gwi:903037}}
But Chlora has the most unusual two-toned flowers

{{gwi:903038}}
{{gwi:903039}}
These two easily won the prize for most photographed in my garden last year.

{{gwi:903040}}
I hope you've enjoyed these pictures, I certainly enjoyed taking them and going through them during this lastest cold spell. Thanks for looking!

Jeanne

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County