SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweatin_in_ga

Heat Sensitivity

15 years ago

Every daylily in my garden except yellows and soft pinks suffer from our high daytime temperatures and high humidity. Yesterday it was 97, today 99, and Tuesday is suppose to be back down to 97. But that's just summer in the South.

I've seen a number of people lately saying that they do not like blooms that are destroyed by heat half way through the day. Well neither do I, but what options do I have other than planting under trees (our house is only 3 years old - - we planted a lot of trees, but it is going to take a few more years for them to provide enough shade) or putting up shade cloth (which I think my Neighborhood Association would have a probem with) to enjoy red, purple, deep orange, etc., daylilies for more than a few morning hours? By the way, we are also on water restriction here and can only water three days a week between midnight and 10 AM. If you are found cheating or have too much run-off, you get a warning. The second warning is a $100 fine!

While on this subject, I am doing some hybridizing. Is there any way I can determine "heat tolernace" of a seedling bloom other than sending out samples of that plant to growers who have milder growing conditions, and if so, what growing condition are suitable for making that sort of judgement?

Thanks,

Larry

Comment