SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

My new kids.

13 years ago

Very long story, bear with me.

Those who knew me from when I posted ages ago (been going through a rough spell that has kept me from posting as much as I use to), also knew that I had a standard poodle, Monet, that was my best friend, constant companion and love of my life. A friend put it best when she called Monet my doggy soulmate.

I lose him, another victem of the recall of pet food thanks to the shoddy practices of the Chinese based companies that make up too much of the cheap things in our stores. Yes I am bitter, I also lose my lhassa and might lose my job because stores I won't name also get these products, sell cheap and undermine the American economy.

Anyhow, I found I could not live without a standard poodle in my life. I knew I could never repace Monet, there will never be another dog I loved as much, still I needed a standard poodle.

I decided this time to go with a rescue. I started to believe that rescues go out of their way to not place their dogs. One turned me down because my remaining dog was of what they considered a questionable breed. Pops was a chow cross, I had had her 15 years, since she was 6 weeks old, she was here before and after Monet, I didn't think she was much of a threat considering she and Monet loved each other. Another turned me down because I didn't currently have a standard poodle, like duh, I'm looking because I lose my standard poodle.

Anyhow, after months of heartbreak, I decided to torture myself again one sleepless night and found a new listing on Petfinder. All it said was young male standard poodle and was at a pound over 2 hours from me. By the time I was able to call them to see if he was still there and get there, it was late afternoon. What I found was not only one very sick and abused, 7 month old puppy, but horors of horors, the worse possible mismark to a poodle snob like me. I actually almost made it to the door before I turned back, lol.

So after a very agonizing ride home and even worse first night, got home too late to get to vet and was sure he was going to die on my that night, I finally got him his much needed vet care and then spent the next year in just getting him over his past abuse.

So this is my new kid. Sure not what I wanted but I guess I'm what he needed. And the final kicker is that I outright swore I would never have one like him, I'm a first class poodle snob and only go for proper poodles, which he is not. His type go for about $2,000, so someone paid good money for him just to abuse and neclect him and then dump him at a pound where I paid a whopping $40 to adopt, $300 to heal and countless hours and tears to bring him back to the dog he always should have been.

Here's Chewie.

6 months after getting Chewie, I finally lose my old chow cross, Miss Pops. She was over 15 years old, displastic, epilipic and it just came the time I knew she needed to be put out of her misery. So it got to where I knew Chewie needed a new little brother or sister so I took him to the local pound to pick one out himself. Personally I would have never chosen Tosh, but Chewie was very instistant on her. And they are like any other brother and sister, when they are not trying to kill each other, they are the best of friends. And as much as I want to kill her most of the time, Tosh has become my girl.

Comments (7)