SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floota

ML Blooms in VA ( long)

floota
14 years ago

Bloom season is about 3 weeks after peak. I've tried to add a lot of ML-L-VL bloomers over the past few years, so there is still quite a bit of bloom. Here are a few blooming today.Although when I started with daylilies years ago, I used to like only bagels, I've come to appreciate the movement and beauty of spiders and UFs and have quite a few of those. Spideries/ UFs first:

Dan Bachman's SHOO--FLY PIE has big cascade blooms, usually 3 or 4 each day:

{{gwi:904780}}

Here's one that may have to "grow" on you. I generally don't like brownish daylilies, but this one is different. This is Jim Murphy's SIMMERING ELEPHANTS:

{{gwi:904782}}

Judy Davisson's MEAN GREEN is developing into a real garden star. These are huge ( I think 9.5" w/o looking) blooms that are quite imposing:

Margo Reed's cute TOODLELOO KANGAROO is a good mid-late season bloomer with lots of buds.

{{gwi:904786}}

Jim Murphy's LUCKY STREAK is a rich purple with a contrasting white mid-rib:

{{gwi:904788}}

Clayton Burkey's LOLA BRANHAM has been a garden mainstay for some years. I still love it. This is one that should not be lifted or divided often as it resents moving and will sulk. Beautiful twisting cascade blooms - I can't stop taking pictures of it when it blooms.

This is one of Margo's that should be a fall introduction this year. I'm not 100% sure that this name has been accepted for registration, but it was sent in as WHITE CHOCOLATE. It is a huge ruffled white spider - gorgeous!

Ned Robert's CRICKET CALL is a fairly new plant. It finally had a decent bloom today:

{{gwi:904792}}

I have sent pics of ROSE F. KENNEDY before. It is still blooming today. This is what I saw first thing this AM:

{{gwi:904794}}

Doubles have been fantastic this year. Here's an oldie, ROSE CORSAGE. I gave all of this but 2 fans to our club bed about three years ago. It has come back and made a clump again.

{{gwi:904795}}

David Kirchhoff's TRUFFLICIOUS looked super this morning too:

{{gwi:904796}}

And one of my favorite doubles is the wonderful DOROTHY AND TOTO. This is one that grows well almost everywhere. What's not to love?

And finally a few large bagels - Ted Petit's LEAVING ME BREATHLESS is a good mid-late-late bloomer here. Everey bloom pretty consistently looks like this.

{{gwi:904797}}

Jack Carpenter's SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL has huge 6.5" blooms that are flat and eye catching. Not the greatest shot, regretfully:

This is one of Linda Agin's beauties. I have tried and tried to get a good picture. Still have a few chances, as it threw a rebloom scape. It has potential.

{{gwi:904798}}

This is a California daylily by Kelly Mitchell. It has always done well here and gets lot of visitor comments. Ths is GINNY MITCHELL.

{{gwi:904799}}

I thought this was Kitty Wells, but upon re-checking the tags tonight ( they grow near each other and look similiar) this is LINDA'S MAGIC:

Last one is Karol Emmerich's TIM KORDNER, a nice saturated color.

{{gwi:904800}}

Thanks for looking! I don't get to post often, and when I do, it's long. Sorry!

Comments (19)