SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Pics of my small collection here in Va. Beach, Va...

Hello Everyone...

I first of all want to say thank you for the kind welcome from you all..This forum seems to have a very fun, kind and very helpful following. The good energy is felt by even the people that just come over to check you out from time to time!!! You make it very easy to post and ask questions without the fear of feeling like it's a silly question...

I wanted to share with you all some of the C & S that I have as well as some of my Plumerias and Palms...My small collection consist of Aloes, Agaves DR's and Christmas cactus...

The first pictures will be of the DR's this summer..then onto what they look like now...they look so bare and "Naked" compared to having leaves this summer!! LOL...

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

{{gwi:13143}}

{{gwi:720565}}

This DR has a seed pod...my first!!! : )

{{gwi:720566}}

{{gwi:345494}}

My backyard with my palmtrees...this was taken today.

{{gwi:720568}}

This is the daddy of all of my Agaves...still outside 11.16.10

{{gwi:6494}}

{{gwi:6496}}

{{gwi:720570}}

{{gwi:720572}}

This is the last picture of my Plumerias before I had to prepare them for the winter...Pepper is a "sundog" he loves to layout on the deck (any chance he gets!!)

{{gwi:13152}}

Here my plumies are ready for the winter...Ready for dormancy...sad time to say goodbye...

Finally the last picture is a very special DR...it was given to me from a fellow Virginian, grown from seed...thanks Dave!!

{{gwi:720574}}

Thanks for looking...

Have a great night everyone!!!

Laura in VB

Comments (45)

• dpolson37
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Laura, your collection is something I can dream of. Had to laugh at seeing all the plumerias in the house. I'm feeling good about my desert roses after seeing yours have no leaves too. In past years I've tried keeping them awake over the winter, but this year I'm letting them all rest except for one that seems to want to keep growing. Glad the one I gave you is doing good. It must be the type that doesn't grow much because some I have look about the same size, but others are about a foot tall and all the seeds were planted at the same time.
    Enjoyed the photos!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Dave,

Nice to see you over on this side!!!

It is very funny to see all of the plumies in the house...they look so pitiful stripped from their leaves...my problem is trying to arrange all of my plants for Thanksgiving...LOL...I have 16 people planning to have dinner here!!! I guess they will have to hold a tree in their laps for dinner...LOL...no, really I moved them to the back room so I have a little room for guest!!!

I took a new picture of the DR that you gave me..the other picture didn't really show all of the new branches that are growing on the tree. I counted 12 new little branches!!!
    It's really happy and healthy. I have it still on a heating mat in a sunny window. I also wanted to tell you that the 2nd picture of the DR taken on the top deck still has a lot of leaves...compared to my other DR's. This one has a seed pod growing, so I keep it under the new T-5 lights that I just set up in another room. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the seedpod will continue to grow properly. How long do they usually take to fully mature? Did you put a knee hi stocking over the pod to collect the seed like we do for the plumeria seed pods? I am glad you got a good chuckle on my "naked DR's" they look so sad...but I know once springtime they will be beautiful again!!

Nice to hear from you...Did your little one have a great Halloween?

Take care Dave and thanks for the nice comments!!!

I love my little DR..Thanks again!

Laura in VB

{{gwi:6490}}

• Related Discussions

Fig exploring in VA beach, VA area.

Q

Comments (1)
    Sandsquid, how did your trip to Dam Neck VA go? Any good fig intel? Vinnie
    ...See More

First Blooms of the Summer....In Va. Beach, Va.

Q

Comments (4)
    Hello Everyone, Thanks for the comments on my first blooms of the season!!! Dpolson...Thanks again for the DR. Did you see it in the last picture? I need to send you more of the cannas & EE's (the ginger is also sprouting) I know what you mean as far as space is concerned. My house is empty during the school season, but this week my daughter is home from Fort Bragg (Her hubby is over in Agft.) My son is home from VT. So the house is alive again with everyone around!!! Love the photo of your littleone!!! TZ7....My Noid has been a great Plumeria! This is the second year it has bloomed for me and I am very pleased with it as well!! My little dog loves all of the scents that are in my backyard..she is enjoying the gardenias more than anything. The first thing in the morning she has to go and smell the flowers. (Never seen anything like her!!!) My Plumerias have been really growing quite fast in the last 2 weeks. I repotted some of the little ones and used that new potting mix with guano (Hydroponics store) and mixed with cactus mix, perlite and lava stones. They have really responed to the change in soil!!! Good Luck with your plants...please keep your great pictures coming!!! (can't wait for your Divine to bloom!!) Dave...How are you doing up North? How are your trees? I doubled up on the large pots on my deck...and I will look for larger pots to set them in (with the mulch around them) that sounds like a great idea!! Thank you for that!! I love that pink plumeria and yes it is a keeper!! I think that I have enough trees now (Yea right!! LOL !!) The toilet paper rolls are a new trend in the Plumeria world!! Tree decorations!!! LOL !! They look great don't they? LOL!!! My kids thought I was losing it when I started collecting them along with paper towel rolls...I use them for the stem burn. The sun gets so hot in the back deck area and around the pool that it was burning some of the new stem cuttings. It helps protect the stems that need it until the leaves can grow to protect on it's own. They really work well!!! (Thanks to Bill for the suggestion!!!) Hope all is well with you and your family!!! I would be more than willing to help out if you need a place to help with your Pindo!! : ) Take care everyone!! Laura in VB
    ...See More

Plumeria trees in Virginia Beach, Va.

Q

Comments (31)
    Hi Jeanne!! I do try and pot up the smaller trees each year and i will go up to the larger size being 12-15 max. My largest tree is a handful to move into my great room and I can't go any larger. Once it grows to large for that container, I will root prune and place it back into the same container. Most of my new trees go into a one gallon ( when I root cuttings) and I will move those up the following year to three and then five gallon. The number of trees I have are greater then the normal collector. Lol. Did I just say that? Nooooo.. I'm a " normal" collector.. ;-). I just have over a hundred or so to move inside each year and it takes a few days to prepare them for the " March Of The Plumeria". But I love it.. My trees are starting to have yellow leaves ( bottom.. Older leaves). And like K mentioned, that is normal. It's their way of shedding and getting ready due to the limited light now and the cooler evenings. They know when it's getting time to relax.. Mother Nature knows best.. im also seeing some orange rust, so don't be alarmed if you see this. It's getting to be that time of the season. Thank you K for your kind comment. I do appreciate your vote of confidence.. I'm still learning, but I also love to share what I do know. Please let me know if you need any help. I'd be more than happy to help you in any way... Have a great night !! Laura
    ...See More

Papaya Update from Va Beach

Q

Comments (14)
    Hey Everyone, Justin...I have been working way to much!!! LOL... thats why I haven't posted in a while...thanks though!! I have some really large old pots that I'm not using...you can have them if you want to transplant your papaya.... just let me know...they're yours if you want them!!! Brad...some of the other palm posters have said that when they have to bring in there palms that are to large..they just lay them sideways...proped up just a little...maybe that would help instead of lopping off the top....Ouch!!! (Just a thought!!!) I had to give away one of my potted Christmas palms because it was to tall for my house during the winter...I did think about securing it sideways for abit..but my family would think I had lost my mind!!! So I decided to give it up...I still am in mourning...but i'll get over it!! My best friend has a large cathedral ceiling in her home in Pungo...so I can still visit!!! LOL Laura in VB
    ...See More
  • puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Laura! What a nice collection you have and look at all that Plumeria! Must be one of your faves...looks like my Hoya collection which I'm totally addicted to,lol... I love your Desert Roses as well. A sweet friend on the forum shared a seedpod with me and another friend is sowing a few of them for me(I don't do well with seeds :o(...I can't wait to get them next month, I love your little seedling DR, SO cute! Congrats on your seedpod as well. How exciting!!

Again, welcome to the forum, hope to see you here more often! Thanks for the wonderful pictures!

BTW, I just love that cute little frog hanging from one of your pots...its adorable!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hello, Laura!
    Quite a collection you have there! I've never seen so many Plumeria all lined up!

One of my good friends is from the Commonwealth, and I enjoy his stories from back home.
    Thanks for sharing your plants and your awesome yard. I'd like to visit Virginia some day....
    to see the Shenandoah Valley, the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the Peaks of Otter. I'd also like
    to visit Cactus Hill, where the oldest evidence of human occupation in North America has been found.
    Some big claims to fame!

By the way, is that bark I see in your mix? Perlite, bark....what other nice ingredients do you use?

Josh

• nikki702
    13 years ago

Laura your plants are lovely :-)

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Laura:

Love those palms of yours! Do you give them any winter protection at all? Isn't Virginia Beach about the northeastern limit for palms without protection?

If I had room, I would have a Plumeria. Yours must look amazing in bloom.

Christopher

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Laura,
    I am so glad to see you here! Our forum will be a better place with you here!

Your plumeria do look sad but I can only imagine how great they will be once they leaf out and bloom next spring! I need to take another pic of my 'Penang Peach' for you and email it to you. It truly is a site to see, especally this time of year!

That huge adenium is gorgeous! I can only hope mine will look that nice some day! I also got 2 of them from Dave. He is such a great guy and very generous! I sent him a couple 'Nebel's Gold' plumeria cuttings and in exchange, he sent me 2 Adenium seedlings and both are also growing new branches. Do you think i should keep them growing? Maybe I should just start a new thread. i have both under my 600 watt HPS light and I still see good green growth and new branches coming along. Honestly, i don't know a lot about them.

Hi Dave,
    How are ya? Did those plumeria cuttings root for you? I hope so. My Aztec Gold that you sent to me is branching like crazy! i have 5 new branches where I lost the tip. As concerned as I was about it, I think it actually was a benefit since now I will have all those tips.
    Like I told Laura those adeniums are still actively growing. I only water when they are almost dry and they get the light from my light set up. So far they still look good so do you think I should just let them grow? How many years do you think it will take for them to flower?
    Thanks Laura and Dave,and Laura, it is so great to see you here!
    Andrew

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Hello Laura

My name's Xuan (pronounced like s-w-a-n) from Vietnam. I must admit that your adenium collection is awesome given the climate you have. Your plants look all very healthy. You must have given them a lot of TLC.

Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Puglvr1...Thank you for the nice comments!!! Yes, you are correct about the "faves" it started out with Palms...then onto Plumerias...LOL..now I love the DR's and also the jades and other C&S's...it kind of scares me, but I love all of the pictures from the forum members...my collection is so limited...but I am always interested in new additons!!
    My hubby will probably have heart troubles when he sees more "babies" added to the house..maybe I can use the old..."I have had those...you must have missed seeing them"

I do love that little DR...It keeps on trying to keep up with the other "adult" DR's..I take care of it just like the others...I am very excited about the seed pod...it's my first and I need to keep my fingers crossed that it matures properly. This summer, I started some plumeria from seed and they are all doing fine...I'm sure that you will have great success with yours. Mike tells me that you have been a great friend and that you have a great collection!!

Thank you for the warm welcome!!!

The frog has been "hanging" around for quite awhile!! LOL...I love those little guys too!!
    I would love to see pics of your Hoya collection!!!
    Thanks again Puglvr1...

Hi Josh...Thank you as well...The type of mix that I use mostly consist of (For Plumeria) equal parts of Foxfarm potting mix which has bat Guano and worm castings (I love this mix), perlite, Cactus mix and lava rock..I also throw in some hardwood mulch. For the other plants I omit the lava rock. You all have great mixes for your C & S plants...so I have to learn the correct mixes from you all!!

I was born and raised here in Virginia and I love it!! My kids do as well. All of the places that you mentiones are quite beautiful...especially this time of the year. My son goes to college in the Western part of the state (Virginia Tech) He is close to the ski areas as well as being in the mountains..then he can drive home in 5 hours and be at the beach!!! If you ever come around this way, look me up and I can give you a tour of my area!!! You live in Northern CA?
    Must be very beautiful there...I saw some of your post and loved your yard and collection...quite impressine!!!

Nikki702...Thank you...I just visited your beautiful area this past April...I love London!!! We arrived backhome the day before they closed the airspace due to the ash from the Volcano in Iceland...talk about thanking my lucky stars!!LOL...My hubby and I would have been in deep trouble if we had stayed one more day...I work for the airlines and it would have taken me at least 2-3 weeks to be able to get home...Yikes!!! Loved it though!!!

Hello Kaktuskris...I have had these palms planted in my yard for around 16 years...when they were first planted and for the first 2-3 years, I did wrap the hearts with heat tape and tuck them in with burlap when it got down below 25* for at least 4-5 days in a row..I would plug in the heat tape and leave them on for the heard freeze...which is not to often here...My zone is an 8 here in VB...but now that they are well established I don't do anything to them any more..they are pretty easy to take care of except in the spring when I have to get on a ladder and trim the older fronds.."quite a sight"... I'm sure someone is taping me with a video to send it to the funniest home videos!!! LOL... I would say that Va. is close to the limits...but over at the palm forum...The great people over there are always trying to "push the limits" they have palms in NY, Canada, Colorado, Kanas, Iowa..etc..If you want to see something special...go over to the palm forum and see a post from Artictropical on his protection methods!! Quite impressive..you will even see the Rocky Mountains in the backgound!!!

Her is a picture of some of my plumeria in bloom this past winter...you can grow them too! If you want to try..I will always help you...hope you enjoy the pictures!!!
    This is a Daisy Wilcox...one of my favorites!!!
    {{gwi:1586}}
    This one is a Thornton Lemon Drop
    {{gwi:720575}}

Hey Andrew!!! Thanks, it's nice to be here!! Everyone seems so nice...what a great feeling!!!

I can't wait to see your Penang Peach...I bet it's beautiful...My cutting is kind of at a stand still, but its looking green and happy. I still have it on a heat mat, so we shall see!!! As far as your DR seedlings...I would let them do what they want...Like dave said, some are growing and some are at a stand still. Some of mine are doing the same...my little one is dropping leaves, but still looks active. I will take its cue and let it grow as it will. The other DR's that have lost all their leaves, I ill treat them like the Plumies, but keep them in the light.

Great to see you..and look forward to seeing the progress of your trees, and C & S !!!

Take care everyone....

Laura in VB

Hello Mike!!!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Xuan... I'm sorry that I missed your post...

Thank you for the nice compliments!!! I do enjoy growing different plants/trees that are different for my area!!

I have seen your post and I must say that Your collection is unbelievable!!! I could only hope to have a few beauties like yours...very nice...and I am very impressed with your collection...evryone has something great to offer!!! I truly enjoy seeing all of the new plants that we all have around the world!!!

Take care!!

Laura in VB

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Laura:

I forgot to ask you what types of Palms you are growing. I noticed more than one kind in your photos. I have seen on the Palm and other forums how people grow Palms and Bananas in the north with all sorts of elaborate protection methods. What really interests me more is knowing how far north they will grow without any protection at all, and I believe your area is about it, though there is a Windmill Palm growing outside the Smithsonian in Washington, DC without protection.

Your Plumeria flowers are gorgeous, and I'm sure they smell great. If I can ever find a little one, I'll have to give them a try!

Christopher

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Laura,

I wouldn't exactly subscribe to the idea that your collection is small but it is admittedly impressive and beautiful! And, wow, those palms are fantastically unique and rare in your part of the country! I find your pics to be inspirational... Also, thanks for your technique on how to microclimate palms and sharing your pics!

-Bo

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Hi, Laura! Very nice plant collection... with a nice yard in the background! You've got the perfect climate for it all!

I've only got two lanky Plumerias, no palms, and it's getting colder by the day! I'd do anything to move a little more south! :-)

Nice photos... thanks for sharing!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow Laura, those plumeria flowers are just gorgeous! I can totally understand why you love them so much!! TFS!!

I know its off topic but since you asked(lol)...I posted one of my Hoya first time bloomers for me...I just love this one...Hoya imperialis. The biggest flower I've had from any hoyas by far!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Take a day or two off, and holey moley!

Laura..What have you satrted? lol..Someof us not only like cactus and succulents, but for those whom have been hesitant to try plumeria and palams, watch out..Beautiful !Goodness you yard looks so inviting..Wouldn't it be nice if it could stay like that year round?
    I love those little Adenium! Each of your plants all have their own distict differences and personalities...So nice.
    I think I see mine..:-))))The one in the back..Oh, I can only pray it will look like that come spring..
    I am going to closely work with all of you and especially Marie since she kindly said she would to reach it's potential..
    I will keep you posted coem spring for a trimming and it's growth..Thank you so much from the both of us again and it is fantastic to see you here!
    I can not believe that you know Andrew...A fantastic person he is..As so is everyone here that you have met.
    Talk about nice full plants to being bald..lol..That is what mine look like now..The flowers to die for..I only wish mine had looked like that..
    Andrew is trying to help me a lot in that department..
    Welcome...:-)

A big hello to Bo, Tom, Andrew, Pug, Nikki, Jodik, Josh,Xaun, and Andrew!

Wow, this is such a nice thread...

Now I am off to see Pug's plants again..

Thanks a lot Laura,

Mike

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Laura, I can see you addicted to plumeria as I addicted to desert rose. Your collection looks great and now inside to rest before they turn into beautiful again. Don't you hate to wait until the winter is over? I wish that I have magic want to make the winter shorten like 1 week or 2. And the plants continue to grow....
    Marie

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Christopher... I have Windmills, Pindo Palms (aka Jelly palms) and then Sabal Palmettos (aka cabbage palms) they are all considered "cold Hardy" Palms. I feel that the Windmill palm is the most Cold Hardy IMO...That was the very first palm that I purchased. Several friends that live in D.C. have the cold hardy palm..but still protect. Where I live, the ocean keeps the temps alittle bit warmer than other areas in Va. So, seeing a Windmill in D.C. wouldn't surprise me...but when it is first planted the cold temps can easily kill a newly planted palm. Good question though!!! I would think that Va. Maybe palces on the DelMarva (Eastern Shore of Va. and Maryland) could possibly have unprotected palms as well...and as far as growing a Plumeria in Bar Harbor? No problem!!! I love it up there..very beautiful!!!

Hi Bo...Compared to all the C & S that you all have...I feel that my collection is limited...LOL...Now, if you talk about Plumeria collection...ok, yes I have a lot!!!
    I first fell in love with palms 20 years ago...Here in Va. We hardley had any back then. So...I figured that I would try.
    I loved the feel of the tropical look, So I bought and planted...now they are planted everywhere here in Va. Beach. It's always fun to "zone push". You are right about the microclimate that I have...the ocean, High trees contribute to the continued positive growth with the palms and Oleanders in my yard.

Thanks again Christopher...

Yaslan...I know what you mean about wanting to move to a more warmer area!!! The cold has arrived here...and I am already looking forward to the spring!!! I do love all of the seasons though...but I love what the sun and warm temps due to my plants!!! How long have you had your Plumies?
    Stay warm...

Hi Puglvr1,

I love the picture of your Hoya!!! How beautiful...I can see why you love them too!!! Thank you for showing me your gorgious flowers..I love the interesting shape and especially the color!!!

Hi Mike!!! Your DR is the one with the frog "hanging" from the side..At first, I thought it was the one in the back...but it is the one in the middle with the frog!!!
    Everyone is so kind here!!! Thank you again for inviting me "over" LOL... My palm will stay like that all year. They stay green and may have some fronds that need cutting come springtime...Marie has a wonderful collection!! She has guided me before and I know she will help you too!
    Your DR will look the same as my picture or even better this summer!!! I have no doubt with your experience with all of your collection!!! Andrew is a great person!!
    We all have alot in common!!! Great group of people here!!

Have a great night Mike!!! Say hello to to your MOM!!!

Hello Marie!!! Yes, I am addicted to Plumerias...just like you to the DR's!! You have the natural ability to care for these beautiful trees!!! I haven't looked at your post yet, but I'm sure that it will just amaze me!!! I can't wait to see yours!!! If I had a wand...well let's just say everyone would have what they want!! LOL....

Take care everyone..

Laura in VB

• threas
    13 years ago

Hi Laura! What a pretty yard you have along with all those lovely plumies and adeniums!!! Have a nice Thanksgiving!
    Pug, I love your Hoya! Wow!

I can't wait for my DR seedlings to grow up. They have to be the cutest seedlings ever with their fat little caudexes!LOL

Theresa

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Laura,
    Welcome! :)
    That is a beautiful collection! It's amazing how different each DR is. I have 2 very little guys I just got this summer. And one medium sized. I would love to try them from seed someday. The babies are so cute! lol!

My 2 little DR's outside are starting to go dormant, but my bigger one in the plant room is getting new leaves.

Your plumeria's are beautiful! Love the lemon one. Who's the little cutie sunning himself on the deck in the photo? :) They must be awsome when in bloom! I saw them at lowes recently, and was so tempted to get one. Maybe in the spring. ;)

I would definately try and pull the wool over hubby's eyes and just convince him they were already there. lol! Do it to mine all the time. ;)

I have close to 100 C & S now, and he notices a new one! Go figure.?? LOL!

Again, welcome. :)

Have a great day everyone!
    JoJo

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks Laura and Theresa!! I'm very addicted to hoyas and Succulents...I need help,lol...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone...soon enough we'll me munching down on some delicious food!! YUMMY!! One of my most favorite holidays for eating!

Original Author
    13 years ago

,,Hello Everyone!!!

Hi Teresa...Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!!! Are you going crazy trying to move plants around to find room for people to sit for dinner? I am working doublr time cleaning, rearranging plants and then trying to figure out the plan for turkey day...It alwayas comes together, so I guess i'll just try and relsx and enjoy the time with family and friends...but 16...? LOL...

I love pug's Hoyas too! I would like to see more!!!
    And those little DR's are the cutist little guys!!!

Hello JoJo...Thank you for the comments...I do love the Plumeria and the DR's..they really grew pretty fast this summer,,I found that I fertizied them evertime I did the Plumies.,,also used B-1 and superthrive, They really like the mix...I did what Marie said...I kept them in full sun and gave them water quite often (even moist) throughtout the summer,,,

The little one is my Dog named "pepper" he is a 12 year old nini dashund...he is the best dog I also have another red mini dashund as well...love those dogs,,Ill try and post, the other day photobucket was acting weird. So I will try again...About the hubby and "IT was already there!!!" I will try, but he seems to remember everything"
    So I will have to go to plan B!!! LOL...like looking at his fishing pole collection....when did you get that one hunny? LOL...Thank you for the warm welcome!!!! It really means alot!!! TKS!!!if you go the the cont forum under the "what better way to say hellO" you will see my two babies!!! Hope u like then!!! Take care JoJo

Hi Puglvr1...Your Hoyas are beautiful...we all would love to see more!!! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving
    Day...are you going to cook?

I am cooking this year, we trade off with the different families and this year its my thankgiving and my turn for Christmas,,,But you know what....My son in law is home from Aftganistan from a year long deployment and then 6 monts earlier he was in Iraq for a year duty...so needless to say he hasn;t had a "real" thanksgiving for at least 3 years...so this "MOMA" is goin to mske his thsnkgiving a very special one, my brother even invited 3 people from work,,,they are from Hawaii her thru the holidays and didn;t have anyplace to go,,,So, I said bring them over,,,we have room,,,:RIght:: LOL>>> But that is what it all about right? Happy thanksgiving to you all I look forward to hearing how all of the dinners turn out!

Doea anyone Brine their turkey? I do and love it!

Take care everyone and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!

Hello to Mike Pug Theresa,JoJo Bo,Pug,Josh,Christopher Andrew, Nikki, Xuan Artictropical (Kevin) Mike's Mom!!!! Al (HI AL)
    Have a great day everyone,,,remember to give thank to our familes, friends and our little dog friends!!!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Okay, since you asked,lol...few more pics of Hoyas.

I don't brine my Turkey, but I did see a recipe on line and it does sound wonderful.

{{gwi:720582}}

• threas
    13 years ago

Pug, I can see why you are addicted to hoyas!!!!!How beautiful! What care do you give them? I have a couple that are still really small. Can't wait to see blooms.

Laura, I'm having 19 for Turkey Day! Been a cleaning freak all weekend. The dining is the only room with no plants! Good thing! LOL
    I'm not cooking much, my mom, sister and sister-in-law are doing the bulk of it. Thank goodness! I have to work all week at the flower shop making centerpieces. :)

Theresa

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Puglvr1...Those Hoyas are spectacular!!! I can see why you love them so much!!! Those blooms are so unique and the fine detail in each bloom is so unbelievable...I think this is the first time I have ever seen them...they are just beautiful!!! I will be interested in hearing how you take care of them as well!!!

OT...I love to brine my turkey...it's so easy and makes it very moist...good stuff!!! LOL...

Teresa...19 people!!! Goodness, gracious!!! You are going to have a house full!!! I hear you about being a cleaning freak..This is the only time that everything and I mean everything gets the once over...It makes me take care of things that have been put aside...LOL.. Thank you for making the arrangements...I too will be purchasing them for my table...I love fresh flowers for the centerpiece!!!

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

You take really good care of your plants in a challenging climate for them. Nice work! Here it is so much easier and I always admire the skill it takes to grow them in a colder climate.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thank you so much!! I do love Hoyas...mostly because each variety is SO different from one another. You can own 100 hoyas and no two looks the same, its amazing! The blooms are so different as well...it is an addiction indeed.

I have most of them in gritty mix (tweeked) a little. Some are outside, some inside. I grow them similar to houseplants, I fertilize them 'weakly' weekly. They love bright indirect light, most don't tolerate direct sun.

Happy Turkey Day!!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Pug: You have got to be kidding me? Now I am going to start liking these plants...They are so beautiful..Lovely is an understatement....Thank you..How long does it take for you to get many of these to flower, from let us say, the size plants one can buy at HD in hanging baskets?
    Probably overnight in Florida, lol..:-)

Hi Laura..I know you are out of town, but boy do I have a surprise for you:-)
    Talk to you soon..

Teresa...have a great time..Lot's of people coming..I don't know how you will do it..Amazing...Show those plants off!

I love this thread everyone..Have a great week...

Mike

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Mike, the hoya you see at Home Depot are almost always big enough to bloom. They need to be repotted and some TLC but I've had them bloom a couple of months after bringing them home.

Pug, what is the second hoya? I had a cutting of that but it didn't make it through the hurricane.

I was very surprised to see bananas all over Kansas City. I went to a nursery there and the owners told me that is a hardy banana that tolerates their winters, snows, freezes, dies back and every year gets bigger. Non-fruiting.

I'll be at work during Thanksgiving, and the shopping so eat some turkey for me!
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    Tally HO!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike!! It really depends on the hoya... but most of the ones from HD/Lowe's do bloom within a few months since they are for the most part mature enough. I've started this Hoya addiction in Feb. 2008...so it will be 3 yrs next February. I have a lot of hoyas that are till very small, and most of them have yet to bloom...some take a LOT longer than others,lol...

BP,If you're asking about the one with the leaf picture...that's Hoya macrophylla variegated...Still waiting for that one to bloom.

• Lisa
    9 years ago

HA! I think I just tripped over YOUR roots Laura! ;P ... (No really, I'm not stalking you, I literally stumbled on this thread while researching what people put in their Plumeria potting soil.)

Some of your comments on here cracked me up, now that I know you currently have almost 200 Plumeria plants in your house...LOL!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol Lisa!! It is an addiction.. But I love it!!! Lol. This is too funny!! Great thread and it brought back a lot of smiles!!!

Thank you..

Laura

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Hee, hee.... you KNOW I just had to call you out when I found it. ;P ... By the way, I also noticed you had mentioned having mini doxies because I actually breed long haired, true sable, miniature dachshunds. :D ... (Try saying THAT three times fast!)

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Holy mother of ... Is that a DOG??? ... O_O

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Looks like a cross between and lion and a bear!!! Lol...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. Isn't she sweet? Tibetan Mastiff.. ;-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

She loves bones.. Lol!!!

Laura

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, you weren't kidding? That's really your dog? ... Is the guy taking the picture still alive?

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Gorgeous dog though.....from....a distance... o_0 ...lol.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol.. It's for those who want to see... Put it this way, I have never had any trees stolen!!! Unlike my friends in California!! ;-)

I also agree she is gorgeous. I told Wendi on the plume forum that she could use her pic since she has had things stolen from her front yard... People are heartless when they come into your yard and take trees from the ground..

Pepper and kyleigh would just lick them!!! Lol

Laura

• Lisa
    9 years ago

I've never heard of a Tibetan Mastiff. All kidding aside, she really is a gorgeous dog.... Pepper and kyleigh are darned cute too! =)

Original Author
    9 years ago
    1. Tibetan Mastiff

Dog Breed

2. The Tibetan Mastiff is an ancient breed and type of large domestic dog originating with nomadic cultures of Tibet, China, Nepal, and India. The dog is widely used by local tribes of Himachal Pradesh, India, to protect their sheep from leopards. Wikipedia

3. Height: 2.2 ft. (Adult, Male)

4. Mass: 110 – 180 lbs (Adult, In the West)

5. Higher classification: Dog

6. Lifespan: 10 – 14 y

Big boys!!

Lisa... They are beautiful dogs.. I love all breeds too!!

Have a great day!!!

Laura

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Wow.....Laura and Puglvr1....those are beautiful plants.

Laura, do you have enough plumeria? hehehe...same question you would ask me if I have enough DR.

Puglvr1, your hoya are gorgeous.....

Marie

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Marie!!

So nice to see you!! I hope you are doing well and that your collection had rebound from your loss years ago. It was a hard winter again for us this year and I did have damage to a few Palm trees, but they finally made a come back.. Hoping they will again.

You are so funny about my Plumeria collection! I do have it bad and I have been really good about trying to select and thin down, but its not working to well. I do have a few and thanks to LISA! ;-). She has called me out on how many I have since we had a fun contest over there at the Plumeria forum a few days ago. I had to admit how many I had.., It was a blast ! Lisa is a new Plumeria enthusiast and I'm trying to help her along ....

We all remember those who come forward and help instead of lurking and being over helping out. It does mean a lot to them and it certainly makes me feel good.

So Marie.. Are your trees doing well? Have you added to your COT collection too? I haven't been over to the Adenoum forum lately.. I really need to go over and say hi! I did count my collection the others day since we are changing up my backyard deck area. We made some benches to add to the side yard to place some of my trees on. Some of my friends call them bleachers LOL!!!!

I'm really glad to hear from you. I haven't been on the forums to much and I try to get back to say hello to my friends.

Just sent Pug a few trees last year and she just sent a pic of how they are leafing out.. I am so pleased..

Take good care!!!

Laura