SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Your top cheapos! Please share!

njmomma
14 years ago

Pics are welcome!

Anything under $10 that you just LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Here are mine:

BARBARA MITCHELL

BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS

TANGERINE HORSES

PALLADIAN PINK

RED VOLUNTEER

LADY LIZ

MAGIC CARPET RIDE

SEMINOLE WIND

FERENGI GOLD

There are others, but these are the ones that come out perfect every time and just look amazing to me.

~Natanya

Comments (55)

• random_harvest
    14 years ago

I agree with many already listed, but here's 10 more of my cheap favorites:

Mountain Almond
    Shady Lady
    Gordon Biggs
    Lullaby Baby
    Dallas Star
    Bama Music
    Double Cutie
    Gentle Shepherd
    Chorus Line
    Olive Bailey Langdon

• justmetoo
    14 years ago

So many in my garden that were cheapos that I certainly can not list them all but each brings just what I wanted in just the place I wanted it that cheapos are considered a very worthy plant around my garden.

Elizabeth Salter
    Barbara Mitchell
    Tall Angel
    Ben Adams
    Peach Jubilee
    George Caleb Bingham
    Jim's Pick
    Peach Cobbler
    Country Melody
    Frances Joiner
    Ruby Throat
    Ed Murray
    Sir Modred
    Black Cat
    Lavender Blush (beautiful this morning)
    Alabama Jubilee
    Ruffled Apricot
    Starling
    Boagie

and on and on it goes. True favorites this year which were new to the garden last season are a couple of Fred Smith's from Hornbakers. I got a large clump of Coal Town Ohio and Off The Ritcher Scale of his and am totally delighted with the addition.

In fact several of my favorites are not registered daylilies. A little workhorse I like as a border front in my of my section is bitty little 'Razzmatazz' which is about 20 inches high and 2 and 1/2 blooms--it just goes and goes--and extra cheapo. I think I picked them up on clearance one year at Lowes for like $2.50 a gallon pot. Same with Siloam Baby Talk and both yes are wonderful this year with all the rain.

I think just about every daylily in the garden this season has outdone itself. Alot taller than usual and buds galore. Overall the cheapos have cost me quit a bit over the last four/five years as a whole, but worth very cent and given me the ability to bring bunches and bunches of them in instead of a handfull of pricey ones. Okay, so I have a few of those around too, but I figure I can't be cheap all the time, sometimes one just has to 'reward' herself for saving on everything else.

Love all the photos the gardeners put up here on GW, both newer and older selections and both cheap and expensive, ya all are total enablers!

• Related Discussions

Please share your favorite way to serve grapes

Q

Comments (17)
    Here's recipe I used ------------------------------------- Grape Salad 1 1/2 lb each red and green seedless grapes, washed and patted completely dry Mix 8 oz each fat free sour cream(room temp), ff cream cheese until well blended. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar/ or splenda and 1 tsp vanilla. Fold in grapes until completely covered. Spread into a large glass container. Slightly brown 4 oz chopped pecans or walnuts, when cool stir into 3/4 cup brown sugar. Sprinkle mixture completely over top of grapes and give it a gentle pat. Cover overnight, with seran wrap and ENJOY!
    ...See More

LOOKING for: greek foods--please share yours!

Q

Comments (25)
    Grilled Chicken/Veggie Kabobs W/Yogurt Sauce Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- Yogur Sauce 16 oz. Plain whole-milk yogurt (if skim or low-fat yogurt is used -- strain in coffee filter overnight before using, to remove excess liquid) 1 Cucumber - peeled and seeded - grated 4 T. Olive oil 3 Garlic cloves - minced (pressed through a garlic press) 1 T. White vinegar Salt/pepper to taste Kabobs 6 Boneless chicken cutlets 2 Packet Good Seasons salad dressing mix - prepared according to packet instructions 3 Zucchini - sliced into 2" rounds 2 Large onions - quartered 2 Green peppers (can use any color pepper) - trimmed an cut into 2" squares 2 Cans small -- whole potatoes Skewers Pita bread (optional) Olive oil (optional) For Yogurt Sauce, mix all ingredients and refrigerate overnight. Kabobs Cut chicken breasts into 2" pieces Marinate in 2 of the prepared Good Seasons dressing for at least 1 hour.(The other 2 will be used for basting) Remove chicken from marinade - discard marinade. Alternately thread chicken, zucchini, onions, and green peppers on skewer (can cook veggies separately from chicken if desired) Thread potatoes onto separate skewers. Preheat grill til hot. Baste potatoes with dressing and place on grill, turning and basting occasionally - cook until browned. Grill chicken until cooked, basting occasionally. Brush both sides of pita with olive oil and grill for 3 minutes each side. Serve with yogurt sauce.
    ...See More

Please share your favorite meatloaf recipe.

Q

Comments (45)
    Finally found my recipe - but I really do not measure everything that precisely: Meatloaf 2 - 2 1/2# ground beef or turkey 2 - 3 eggs 1 clove garlic, minced finely 2-3 Tbs. fresh parsley, minced 1 Tbs fresh marjoram, minced 1 - 2 Tbs. minced green onion 3/4 tsp. black pepper 1 tsp. salt 2 Tbs. smoked paprika 1/8 heaping tsp. nutmeg 1 cup stuffing mix crushed fine - I use Arrowhead Mills ketchup Oven 350F Pack well into oiled loaf pan, and bake 50 minutes . Cover top w/ ketchup and bake for 8-10 minutes more. Let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting. 8 - 10 servings And my mom used to make meatloaf surrounded with rice in 1 big pan. It was 1 of our faves as kids - the rice would get all crispy on top and soft underneath and soak up the the juices (and grease) from the meatloaf - sooo yummy! I've done it that way myself, but my rice always seemed to come out much harder to chew than my mom's version. Maybe it's just that my teeth aren't as hardy as they used to be, or maybe she used instant rice...?.
    ...See More

Please share your experience with folding glass doors

Q

Comments (10)
    May I ask how long you have had the Panoramic Doors? Also, is there a roof that covers the doors on the outside? I live in Pennsylvania and am currently researching options for bifold or sliding doors to open up a 15ft space onto a deck. I like the flexibility of the Panoramic Doors system, individual panels that provide more flexibility; however, I’ve also been in touch with Nanawall and hope to visit a showroom in Philadelphia. I’m hoping that seeing the doors will help me to determine which way I would like to go….even though I can’t see Panoramic in person. Being in PA, I need to consider cold temps and snow as well. I would be so curious to hear your final decision of Panoramic over Nanawall, even though now you are experiencing some condensation?
    ...See More
  • carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

Got most of them last year, between $5 and $7...

These are wonderful performers here, and some of them are as pretty as recent intros (the eye of the beholder).

Moonlit Masquerade
    Beautiful Edgings
    Laura Harwood
    Elegant Candy
    Mystical Rainbow
    Joan Senior
    Buttered Popcorn
    Bela Lugosi

and

Denali,
    big 8" double/single, (relatively, a splurge at $8)
    late afternoon photo

Denali, single (morning photo)

Bj

• shive
    14 years ago

I'm glad to see Persian Market, Moon Witch and Shady Lady on other people's lists, since I forgot to put them on my own. Another great one I left off was Cherry Cheeks. The color on that one is just superb, and I would never be without it.

Here are some small and miniatures that are top performers:
    Witch's Thimble (6 weeks of bloom this time.)

Colorado Moon Fire (good rebloomer for me)

Dixie Boy (great bud count and nice rebloomer)

Pardon Me, another good rebloomer

Siloam Double Classic

Also:

Siloam June Bug (great rebloomer!)
    Siloam Merle Kent
    Siloam Fairy Tale
    Pastilline

Debra

• uroboros5
    14 years ago

BILL NORRIS
    RED VOLUNTEER
    STRAWBERRY CANDY
    EL DESPERADO
    LITTLE GRAPETTE

• random_harvest
    14 years ago

Oh, dear, I have to add another one. I was just in the yard and found a rebloom scape on MISS OZIE (W.H. Smith, 1961). She's a lovely little pastel that started with the Stellas, bloomed for a month, and now she's doing it again. I spent $2 on her a couple of years ago at a Gilbert Wild sale.

MISS OZIE

• rarejem
    14 years ago

I forgot a couple myself, and seeing OLIVE BAILY LANGDON listed reminded me that I should have included that and

WAYSIDE KING ROYAL

Julie

• njmomma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also,
    ARCADIA PLANTATION
    PRARIE BLUE EYES
    ALABAMA JUBILEE
    ELEGANT CANDY
    OUTRAGEOUS
    LADY LIZ
    AGAMEMNON
    AUTUMN WOOD
    PERSIAN MARKET
    ROCKET CITY
    PANDORA'S BOX
    MAGIC CARPET RIDE
    JEN MELON
    BLUE HAPPINESS
    SPLENDID TOUCH

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I would say-

ANTIQUE ROSE
    CHINA BRIDE
    SUSAN WEBER

I love these three and would not consider giving them up. Some of the other choices people listed for $10.00 cost me more than that so I didn't list them. An example would be BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS but I would never get rid of it either as I love it!

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Mildred Mitchell
    {{gwi:258972}}
    Jambalaya

Wild Horses

Ruby Spider
    {{gwi:903098}}
    Henna Copper

Bad but Beautiful

Forsyth Flaming Snow
    These are just a few - I am a cheapo and only have a few that are over $10.00. This year my favorite daylily farm is having a 30% off sale, so the $5.00 are only $3.50!!!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

What a great thread. I'm glad to read that many of my new acquisitions are mentioned.

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

Ahhh, Daylily Dreamer, are you really a cheapo!!?? You are just spoiled by that daylily farm out there. You forgot to mention that they often give way more than 2 fans for that price too. !!!! Especially if you are there a day that Martha, or Dorothy are digging. :o)
    Alas, I am a cheapo too, but have gone searching for "deals" on specific ones I want.
    My fav cheapos are
    Always Afternoon
    Dragons Eye
    Emperors Dragon
    Grand Palais
    Joan Senior
    Mokan Butterfly
    Outrageous
    Priscillas Rainbow
    Pumpkin Kid, love Pumpkin Kid
    Raining Violets
    Respighi
    Strutters Ball
    Spiritual Corridor

So here's a pic of that great daylily farm from last year, had to 'sneak' this pic. No one was gonna 'pose for a pic'

• nanny56
    14 years ago

Gee most of my favotites are the cheapies!!

CRIMSON PIRATE
    BARBARA MTCHELL
    BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS
    CHICAGO APACHE
    JAMES MARSH
    SIR MODRED...it was cheap when I bought it!
    MIRACLE MAID
    EL DESPERADO
    SMOKY MOUNTAIN AUTUMN
    LIGHTHOUSE PEACH JEWEL

• justmetoo
    14 years ago

Techny Peach Lace
    Parian China
    Ben Aruthur Davis
    Bertie Ferris
    Best Of Friends
    Tahitian Dancer
    Hush Little Baby
    Fairy Tale Pink
    American Revolution
    Prairie Moonlight
    Country Lace
    Chicago Blackout (several Chicago series looking great now)
    Catherine Woodbury
    Shepherd's Light
    Lullaby Baby
    Mary Todd
    Omomuki
    Tetrina's Daughter (so simple, and a true favorite)
    Northbrook Star
    Best Kept Secret
    Broadway Smile
    Evening Gown
    Darked Eyed Magic
    Miss Quinns World

More just keep becoming favorite each time I step out the doors. Everything is mixed into my very mixed borders and beds and cottage style gardening , I'm so enjoying each mornings new surprise as I turn each and every corner/bend and section. I take a large bucket around with me each morning to pinch off yesterday's blooms early each morning and it's my absolute favorite time of day--just me and my garden.

• jercatz
    14 years ago

Here's 10 that have almost always looked good, every single bloom. I doubt I paid more than $10 for each, I think I've only paid more than $10 for a daylily once or twice.

All Fired Up
    Collier
    Forsyth Hot Lips
    Hot Town
    Jason Salter
    Mask of Time
    One Last Kiss
    Red Volunteer
    Siloam Joan Senior
    Tom Wise

• jkayd_il5
    14 years ago

This is a great thread. Here is my list. Some may be slightly over $10.00 ?? but all are very inexpensive.

Caledonia
    Coburg Fright Wig
    Corinthian Pink
    Diamond Shadows
    Druid's Chant
    Elizabeth Elaine
    Femme de Joie
    Finger Lakes
    Indian Giver
    Kimmswick
    Matt
    One Last Dance
    Pug Yarborough
    Prairie Moonlight

• dayliliesrus
    14 years ago

Thing is that at one time each of these WERE high dollar daylilies. Those that are $100 to 200 this year could be very well $5 to $10 in just 3-5 years.

My favorite cheapies are Magic Carpet Ride, Louisiana Belle, Doug Lycett, Prague Spring, Aquamarine, Medieval Spirit, Ferengi Gold, Nile Crane, Tooth, Chancellor's Gold and Time Lord.

• kimkats
    14 years ago

My best cheapo's this year are in no particular order:
    (I'll leave out any previously mentioned, but I have a bunch of those too.)
    Evening Enchantment
    Frans Hals
    Lake Norman Spider
    Siloam Toy Time
    Siloam Tee Tiny
    Little Wart
    Jedi's Return
    Vacation Cruise
    Fooled Me
    Dark Star
    Black Ruffles an oldie but a goody if you can find it
    Ruby Stella
    Siloam Red Ruby
    Knick Knack
    Black Eyed Stella
    Daring dilemma

I just got White Tuxedo and it just blooms it's head off.

I almost never pay more than $15.00 for a daylily. Most of the time I'm super cheap and I get really great deals on the LA.
    Last fall I got French Twist for only $3.00!!!! I made up for that deal though by buying a 4 fan blooming clump of Sergeant Major for $60.00(the most I ever spent on 1 daylily).That was my last big indulgence.

This was a blast reading everybody's lists. I even added a few to my "wishlist".

Kim

• Nancy
    14 years ago

El Desperado
    Custard Candy
    Daring Deception
    Always Afternoon
    Blueberry Candy
    Bonanza
    Buttered Popcorn
    Firestorm
    Longstocking
    Catalina
    Crimson Pirate
    Tuscawilla Blackout
    Bela Lugosi
    Little Audrey
    Evening Enchantment
    Franz Hals
    Gentle Shepherd
    Savannah Debutante
    Inwood
    King Lamoni
    My Melinda
    I don't think I've spent more than $10 on a daylily. These are the ones I bought, I probably have lots more than could be added to the list, but I trade a lot & don't really know the value.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Ooh- don't leave one out if it has already been mentioned.
    This is a priceless list for those of us just getting into daylilies. The ones that are mentioned most are most likely great "starter" daylilies.
    Renee

Carry on please!

• dayliliesrus
    14 years ago

Bella Lugosi is the daylily that started my madness. It was $150 at the time which I thought was horrible. But that picture was all I could think of!! I finally leaped when I got it for $50. It is a glorious purple that if you search on Tinkers you will find it a parent to alot of other daylilies. http://db.tinkersgardens.com/

Tom Wise and Killer are also daylilies that are strong and provide a great garden presence. Those 2 are in my front yard and is the first ones you see upon arrival.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

I've been thinking seriously about El Desparado but need a couple of questions answered if someone could. Is its base color a bright yellow or is it a light yellow or cream. If bright yellow does it fade to cream by late PM? As to my top performers, well I can't imagine being without:

*Pandora's Box
    *Joan Senior
    *Smoky Mountain Autumn
    *Eenie Weenie (great little pot plant)
    *Yesterday Memories (a prolific older pink bloomer)
    And one I've not heard mentioned which was recommended to me by a daylily enthusiast years ago and which I love:
    **Coral Corduroy
    {{gwi:903106}}

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

EL DESPERADO isn't blooming here yet so I am going by memory but I am sure it does not fade. No way is it cream, its yellow. Just trying to remember exactly what shade of yellow. Its not a neon zap it in your face yellow though.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Come See
    Cranberry Baby
    Gillian
    Mildred Mitchell
    Palladian Pink - my best value for $5 of all time
    Pink Rocks - my best value for $6
    Soft Summer Night
    West Coast Blues - unbelievable to me @ $12, should be $112
    Surf
    Missouri Memories
    Very Berry Ice
    Sea Siren
    Create Your Dream - another screamin' deal for a WONDERFUL daylily ($15)
    Chinese Watercolor

• nanny56
    14 years ago

El Desperado is used to be refeered to as a yellow mustard color...not light or cream at all. Does not fade. Mine is in the strong afternno sun and looks good all day! It is a permanet resident here!

• suel41452
    14 years ago

Can't believe I forgot Peach Magnolia at $6. It is my favorite of all my cheapos! Don't have a pic, but here's a link to a good pic:
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/99477/

• granalene56
    14 years ago

Great topic!!
    My top ten in south Alabama are:

Becky Lynn
    Crimson Pirate
    Dublin Elaine
    Golden Scroll
    My Belle
    Rainbow Candy
    Riseman's Flame
    Robin Elmore
    Savannah Debutante
    Tuscawilla Tigress

They must like my dirt because they have not failed to bloom in 10 years.

Arlene

• happyjacq_bris
    14 years ago

CHEAP YELLOW FAVOURITES
    1. Panther eyes
    2. First Knight
    3. Eighteen Karat
    CHEAP PURPLE FAVOURITES
    1. Spacecoast Suprise Purple
    2. Mort's Magic
    3. Mort Morss
    CHEAP WHITE/CREAM
    1. Mal
    2. Jack May
    3. Joan Senior
    CHEAP REDS
    1. Maria Callas
    2. Crimson Icon
    3. Drowning in Desire
    CHEAP PINKS
    1. Bangkok Belle
    2. Elizabeth Salter
    3. Jamaican Music
    Overall Cheapest Bargain and best Performing daylily in my garden would be Spacecoast Starburst

• shive
    14 years ago

El Desperado is sometimes a light yellow in my garden, but never cream. Sometimes when you photograph it in the sun, the light blows it out and makes the yellow look lighter than it is in person. It holds up very well in the heat and fades very little.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Thanks Nanny, Rita and Debra for the info on El Desperado. I'm not much for eyed daylilies but most of the pictures I've seen of it were so nice (and I'm a big yellows fan anyway), that it goes on my list since it's does not fade and is not a pale yellow........I meant to say too that someone last year posted a pic of Carribean Double Lemon and it made me drool. Don't know if that was you Suel or not. I never could find one to buy but it sure is a beauty.

• suel41452
    14 years ago

Maryl - it probably was me. I got mine at Critter Creek Farm -web site is www.GardenEureka.com/CRITT
    Here's all the info on their CDL:
    Caribbean Double Lemon Talbott 1994 28 MRe 6 Lemon Yellow Self Evr Dip Dbl Fra Ext DL $5.00

• suel41452
    14 years ago

re above post info - I thought "DL" meant double but it means double fan, limited stock.

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

I love this thread. MARYL, To answer your question, my EL DESPERADO is what I would call a Lemon yellow,and it does not fade,Mine is out in the hot sun all day,and lloks the same in the evening as it does early in the morning.If I remember right,the eye is dark purple..
    My cheapo daylilies was way under $ 10. Most of t he ones I got a few years ago was not over 3.50 each on a sale.
    1 Little Wart
    2 Pardon Me
    3Barbary Corsair
    4 Bunny Puff
    5 Black Eyed Susan
    6 Brave Heart
    7 Frankly Scarlet
    8 Chorus Line
    9 Paper Butterfly
    10 Custard Candy
    11 Strawberry Candy
    12 Strutter's Ball

Most all of them was 3.50 to $ 5.00

Jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Thanks Jean about El Desperado. We know about the heat don't we. 104 before the rain came yesterday and if yours can take it so could mine. I see you have Strutters Ball on your list. I've always wondered what the difference was between it and Bela Lugosi (since both have about the same color in photos)....Thanks for the info Suel on Caribbean Double Lemon. I would have had it this year if I'd been able to locate it last winter when ordering fever was upon me. That was a great photo you posted.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Suel41452, I have a picture of Peach Magnolia to share. And like you, it is one of my favorites.

PEACH MAGNOLIA
    {{gwi:687173}}

Other favorites of mine:

WHOOPEREE

APPLE TART-just got it last year and it's quickly a favorite of mine. Nice branching and increasing.

BUTTERED POPCORN-the name says it all.

Really got a mix of picture sizes there, didn't I?

Vickie

• sharons2
    13 years ago

I think just about every daylily I own is a cheapo. I spent $10 each on Party Pinafore and Shores of Time, but I think I got lucky with those. :-) I also like:

Absolute Treasure
    Chance Encounter
    China Lake
    Classic Delight
    Coming Up Roses
    Court Magician
    Jolyene Nichole
    Rosy Rhinestone
    Sue Rothbauer

• kathy910
    13 years ago

Mildred Mitchell
    Dallas Star

• baileycat
    13 years ago

I think I have just about every daylily listed; and if I didn't love them they would be gone. In that event I will just list five that i consider must have
    El Desperado
    Siloam Double Classic
    Strawberry Candy
    Paper Butterfly
    South Seas

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I bought this one about 7 years ago for $5. It always does a great job of flowering and the color seems to change a bit each year.

Persian Shrine

This is one I bought about the same time for the same price. They have an open house each year and offer one of their varieties for $5 each time. They couldn't tell me anything about it but I figured for that price I'd buy it-glad I did! Here it is.

{{gwi:903112}}

Marg

• kathy910
    13 years ago

Here's a link that someone posted here for older cultivars. I was surprised that some of mine are from the 1940's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valley of the Daylilies

• farmerbell
    13 years ago

Wispy Rays would be my #1 cheapo - HUGE red blooms that are very showy
    Optical Art
    Brooklyn Twist
    Autumn Wood
    Dragon's Eye
    Emperor's Dragon
    Moonlit Masquerade
    Halloween Trick can sometimes be bought on the Auction for less than $10

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, this is a great thread. I've been stunned by some of the daylily prices I've seen and inexpensive recommendations are just what I needed - esp. now that I've taken up with the Daylily Auction. Still, when I copied these names into an Excel sheet to save for future shopping, I found there are well over 200 daylilies I might want to choose. Yikes!!
    I'd better narrow my list down just a bit, don't you think? ;-) Sounds like a great winter project...

• bluenosens
    13 years ago

Pure and Simple, always perfect, Bordello Queen, Hermitage Newton, Elegant Candy, King George, El Desparado, Salieri, Flowershop , Dominic, Right of Passage[just finished blooming], Ming Porcelain, Advance Party, Russian Easter, Adjure, Mount Fuji and Smuggler's Gold. There are others but these jump to mind. cheers, and a great thread, lloyd

• ozzysboy
    13 years ago

I love cheap! My favorites:

Autumn Wood
    Wispy Rays
    Rainbow Radiance
    Betty Warren Woods
    Condilla
    Elegant Candy
    Elegance Supreme
    Super Purple
    Razmatazz
    Priscilla's Rainbow
    Baby Blue Eyes
    Persian Pixie

I'm sure I have more, but can't recall if I paid more than $10 for them.

LOVE/HATE relationship w: Stella d'oro. Hey--it blooms, right?

• phaltyme21
    13 years ago

Cheapo huh! I had several DLs that I had bought and I loved them. My daughter had gotten into DLs and wanted to
    be very generous with me---and she wouldn't let me pay for
    them. Most of these I will list came from her. Hope you
    can sort out the right names, I'm tired and it's getting
    late.

Emperor's Choice Tetrina's Daughter
    Bittersweet Holiday Stoplight
    Grand Opera August Orange
    Velvet Shadows Moonlight Orchid
    Firestorm Lake Norman Spider
    Asiatic Pheasant Mephestophiles
    Starman's Quest Dark Star
    Yellow Mammoth Avant Garde
    Cedar Waxwing Dreamy Cream
    Zip Boom Bah Seminole Wind

These are just a sample, a few listed are ones I did buy
    myself. I LIKE this thread.

Kay/phal
    Marked by Lydia
    Duke of Durham

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

I have seen it listed several times in this thread, but I thought I would re-emphasize. CRIMSON PIRATE. I have five clumps of this oldie and it bloomed for 4 straight months, no lie. Its usually one of the bagged runts you can get at home depot for 5 bucks with 5 fans in it. Get one and in one season you will have clumps and an unforgettable show.

• aunt_lou
    13 years ago

I am so enjoying this post! My favorite cheapos are:

Strutter's Ball [always get comments on this one]
    Custard Candy
    Cherry Cheeks [my daughter's favorite]
    Frans Hals
    South Seas
    Big Smile
    Chicago Arnie's Choice
    Hyperion
    Indian Sky
    Tuscawilla Tigress [outstanding orange!]
    Mary's Gold [outstanding and looks great near T. Tigress!]
    Moonlight Masquerade
    Final Touch

and a dark red spider with deep gold throat and stripe in center of petal that was left behind by the previous owners that we all love. It may be Crimson Pirate or one called Aabachee? Gorgeous!

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

I have elegant candy that just won't stop blooming

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

I think these are some great ones.

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Bump!

I just placed an order! I thought this would be a good thread to keep running.

Coming my way are:
    Apple Crisp
    Cameo Painting
    Canadian Border Patrol
    Curly Twirly Shirley
    Egyptian Ibis
    New Perspective
    Nile Plum
    Pandora's Box
    Picasso
    Pick of the Litter ($8)
    Radiation Biohazard
    Russian Rhapsody
    Splendor
    Sky Kissed ($8)
    Trahlyta
    Wild Wookie (this was $15)

All except the marked ones were $6.00! Now I need to prepare the space! I ordered these from Valley of the Daylilies. I read some good comments about them, especially for Northern growers.

Along with listing your favorite cheapo daylilies, could you also say where you ordered them?