SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Who am I? My new DL - I couldn't resist! LOOK!

njmomma
15 years ago

OK, I know I shouldn't buy any that aren't labeled, but I couldn't resist! It's so big and full of buds and most of my DLs are done blooming so I just HAD to get it! I'm sure it's nothing unusual because I recognized a few it was with - Straw. Candy, Pardon Me, Happy Returns, etc... - also not labeled.

If my DL could talk it would say:

I've lost my name. I'm a big bloom and about 36 inches high I'm guessing and full of buds! I am golden yellow and if you put your nose deep in me I am fragrant. I'm probably a late bloomer since I only have one stalk gone and the rest are just full of buds and some buds are so tiny still. Please name me!

(I bought it on my way home from work at 8:30pm so I had to take these pics in the dark.)

So, who am I?

Another pic of the side

Comments (42)

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Ohhhh, I don't know who you are Mr. DL, but you're sure a nice one. :) Way to go, I'd have bought it too. Hope someone can ID it for you.
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Its pretty but I don't know what it is.

• Related Discussions

Call me a sucker, I couldn't resist

Q

Comments (6)
    I ordered,too! They really had a nice selection ! I really wanted premier bal, but they only had that in gal. pots, so i ordered it anyway..then i also got anvil sparks hugh dickson comtesse de cassagne barcelona i could've just clicking forever ! congrats on your order..hope you enjoy them..can't wait till mine get here! I looked for your bourbon and couldn't find it, maybe some will have a pic, or you can post pics when it blooms... Donna
    ...See More

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the Super Bowl?

Q

Comments (59)
    Actually, my wife is a bigger fan of watching football than me. We watch when the Packers are playing. The packers did not play in the super bowl this year, ergo, we made no effort to watch - did catch part of Bruce Springsteen's 1/2 time show. I understand that the Steelers made fantastic 100 yd run to their goal following an interception at the opponents goal line - what a save!
    ...See More

I couldn't resist posting this ---

Q

Comments (9)
    There is no way I would ever wear men's underware near my face.... eeek ! but I have met somepeople who probably do!! It's a cute picture/joke... it is a joke isn't it !! tee hee Thanks for the laugh!!! God Bless! susiesunshine
    ...See More

Please help! New, I couldn't resist but no ID from nursery

Q

Comments (10)
    Yes, a possibility Sherry. The vendor suggested that was one of the possibilities. But I have Melting Fire and mine is green on the top of the leaf right now, is not in bloom and has hairy leaf stems. Maybe the two I have were mislabelled? Here are my Melting Fires.See the fuzzier leaf stems in the second pic. My NOID has very smooth leaf stems and the colour on top of the leaf is the same as on the back. I wish there were some books or a web site you could go to for help. I have a book but the descriptions are brief as are the descriptions on most websites. I have been looking for Melting Fire at garden centres to at least see if the leaf stems are truly fuzzy but can't find it in my area.
    ...See More
  • njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, my guesses are:

Second Glance
    By Myself
    Bill Norris
    Jen Melon
    Mary's Gold
    Olympic Gold

Forgot to add that they had these in part shade so the bloom may be supposed to be a lighter shade.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

Whatever it is, it's gorgeous and I would have snapped it up too!

• mizellie
    15 years ago

I have no ideas either but I do agree, I think you were smart to snatch it before someone else did. He is a pretty one...Ellie

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

Nice pic. Can't you ask the nursery where you got it from?

Julia

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I was going to show you my picture of Jen Melon, but I didn't get a good picture. Mine wasn't 36" tall though, I don't think mine was much more that 24" but it is 1st year for it.
    {{gwi:899075}}

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

I don't think it is Mary's Gold. I saw that at a show yesterday and I think the form is wrong here. Plus, it was very clear pumpkin gold w/no midribs showing. Of course I only saw one bloom though.

Sure is a pretty thing though, whatever it is.

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

I don't think it is Bill Norris. BN is supposed to be 29", but mine never got above 26. Your unnamed is a beauty!

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice pic, thanks. I think I'll rule it out because it doesn't even have a trace of a green throat.

I think it's Second Glance but is darker than a normal SG because it's been blooming in mostly shade.
    Anyone have Second Glance?

I did ask the nursery, but they didn't know. None of their DL were labeled but almost everything else was (all their hostas were, etc...). I asked them if they had a list of what they ordered but they said they got a bunch from their other store so they have no idea. They were nice about it anyway.

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just went out to see today's bloom and it has a green throat. It's still gold and not yellow like your Jen Melon but I'm not ruling it out yet.

The search continues....

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So maybe it is a Jen Melon. I just saw a group pic of JM on another site and it looks just like mine. The form is exactly like your JM and the one on the other site I saw. Also, it's a late bloomer like JM.

For now, I'm labeling it a Jen Melon.

Thanks guys!

• Nancy
    15 years ago

You will enjoy it then, I was delighted with the amount of bloom I got from just 2 fans. I love the large size & clear tones of it, every bloom was consistently huge & beautiful.

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

It could be one called Star Struck.

In the sun, the pictures turn it more gold and the green throat is harder to see

{{gwi:899076}}

In the shade it's more yellow and the green throat pops.

{{gwi:899077}}

Hope this helps

Tom

• janepa
    15 years ago

How about Golden Scroll? I deleted my photo from my server's site, but I can upload it again if you would like to see mine.
    Good luck. Jane

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Tom. It does look similar. But, I'm still thinking it's a Jen Melon because:

1 - Where I got it they only had more common ones sold and not much of a variety and I "think" Jen Melon is easier to find at a regular nursery than Star Struck.

2 - The flower is smaller than Star Struck (says 7" for SS and min is about 5" or so).

3 - It was $17 for a huge plant of 10 fans and many scapes. I think Star Struck would be more expensive than that.

BUT, what I want to know is why they had to have 2 DLs look almost identical yet named different. I think a DL should have to look different to be named different, not just have different parentage, etc... It just makes it all too much to keep track of.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

You got to be kidding. There are what 40,000 registered daylilies? There must be a 100 look alikes for any common looking flower.

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know! I'm just saying I don't agree with it.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

There is more than the look of the flower. Is is Evergreen? Dormant? How about if one reblooms and the other does not. Then there are budcounts. You can have one with 10 buds being normal and the look alike flower could have 30 being normal. There is much more to a daylily plant than just the look of a flower.

• carlamarie
    15 years ago

Try putting Diploid pollen on it. If it doesn't set pod, then you could rule out Jan Melon. Just because it measures 5" doesnt mean anything either. You don't know if that soil has been fertlized and or watered frequently. That could affect the size of the bloom also. Your best bet is to plant it and work w/ the plant once it's established. Find out if it's a Dip or Tet...Get the proper scape height/bloom size once it's planted in a good soil and cared for.

• justmetoo
    15 years ago

I agree with Tom on Starstruck, my Starstruck which I dig from a Illinois daylily farm a few years ago, is a dead ringer for your photo. But still does not make it so, many daylilies look alike. Starstruck is registered as 24X 5 1/2 ML, mine just opened a few first blooms this week and it was breed by a PA breeder. Jen Melon is also registered at a near close size , 26X5 and a ML bloomer. This year my daylilies all all thriving and taller than usual, we had a excellent amount of rain early season and cooler temps which likely encouraged them . While you may call your daylily anything you like as it's goal is to make you happy in your garden and it obviously does, I would not try and sell it labeled "Jen Melon' on say the auctions in a few years when it increases. It very likely wil remain a no-id.

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I couldn't find info on Star Struck on Tinkers (it's not in their database). Is it a Dip or a Tet? I know Jen Melon is listed as a Dip.
    I would never sell any fans on the DL auction. I have too many friends and family to give them too when I want to divide them. My neighbor is already eyeing this one and she doesn't care what it's called and neither does anyone else I would give it to.

Here it is today after 2 rain storms

• justmetoo
    15 years ago

On tinker's site enter your search as one name for Starstruck, not as Star Struck. It's there and a tet. It sometimes takes a a bit to get tinker's to cough up what I want to. Sometimes it is a matter of making it one word, sometimes removing the " ' " and sometimes a site I have seen a daylily on and want to look up on tinker's has simply mis-spelled the name and one has to work it.

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! OK, so if it blooms tomorrow I'll try to cross it with a dip and a tet and see which forms a seed pod. I'll let everyone know the results after that.
    Thanks!

• daylily2008
    15 years ago

It might be Simply Pretty.

• dayliliesrus
    15 years ago

Orange Velvet perhaps? It looks alot like a clump I used to have. Gorgeous plant and it could be described as Pumpkin colored.

• idaf
    15 years ago

Your daylily is JEN MELON. It is a late bloomer and I have several blooms open now. I have grown Jen Melon as long as I have daylilies, which is about 20 years. One piece of interesting information is that STAR STRUCK and JEN MELON are one and the same. Both introduced by Oakes Daylilies. STAR STRUCK is a later registration. Why anyone would introduce the same daylily twice under a different name is beyond me, but it is a fact. Hope this helps! You will enjoy JEN MELON if you like 'em bright, bold and beautiful! Ida

• idaf
    15 years ago

STARSTRUCK is one word instead of 2. Sorry... My mistake.
    This is a link to my pic of JEN MELON made last year.
    Ida

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Nancy
    15 years ago

That is very interesting about Starstruck & jen Melon being the same plant. I know I was struck by the similarity when I saw the picture os Starstruck. I know I've heard that hostas are registered under different names, didn't know that about daylilies.

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

But someone here said Starstruck is a Tet and Jen Melon is a Dip so maybe they made it into a Tet and therefore, gave it a new name. I agree though, they shouldn't be allowed to register the same daylily under different names. I like the name Starstruck better but I did cross it today with a tet and a dip so depending on which forms a seed pod is what I will name it. (dip - JM and Tet- SS)
    Thanks for the info! I know when I bought it that it was a common one because it was surrounded by common ones. So far, I'm thrilled with it and happy to have it (almost) named.

• Ed
    15 years ago

Where did you get that information Ida?
    Both Tinker's and AHS databases list 'Jen Melon' as a diploid and 'Starstruck' as a tetraploid registered by Yonski, not Oakes. Shouldn't be hard to tell the difference if they're both fertile.
    Ed

• idaf
    15 years ago

Ed, I had begun to think I was losing my mind! It's still possible, of course. When I googled for info on Jen Melon, all I got was George Africa's blog where the 2 daylilies are briefly mentioned as being the same. So I went to Oakes Daylilies catalog and found that STAR STRUCK is actually spelled as 2 words. It is a Dip. It is listed as an ALL AMERICAN DAYLILY Selection. I retract my statement about 2 registrations, but I do still believe them to be the same daylily. This is what the Oakes catalog says about STAR STRUCK; STARSTRUCK Oakes (No year) "1998 All American Daylily Selection. 26" tall, 7" bloom, ML + rebloom. Diploid. Big gorgeous blooms of golden melon with wide petals and ruffled edges. A very prolific bloomer; Starts late in the season and just keeps on blooming. Very fragrant." Apparantly Star Struck by Oakes is not going to show up on any database except the All American Daylily organization. Very confusing...

• justmetoo
    15 years ago

strange.

Here is a link that might be useful: oakes

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So who do we believe? Tinkers or Oakes? Very strange indeed!

I'll post in a few days when I see a seed pod growing on either the tet or the dip I crossed it with. The suspense is killing me! (not really)

• Ed
    15 years ago

Apparently Oakes needs to explain who Star Struck is. I looked at the All American Winners site and Starstruck is listed as one of the 1998 winners. It doesn't say tetraploid but it does say a 7" flower, which neither flower is listed as. So who knows what the plant at Oakes is or what plant All American evaluated, maybe someone could ask them. They certainly couldn't register the name Star Struck. It's too close to Starstruck.
    How confusing!
    Ed

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Beautiful DL, I would have purchase it seeing how many buds are on it and it's a pretty color and good forum.

Good Job

• southdakotadaylily
    15 years ago

My guesses would be:
    Golden Prize
    Buttered Popcorn
    Orange Velvet

George

• idaf
    15 years ago

I found this pic of STARSTRUCK by Yonski on the Tranquil Lakes site. While the form is very similar, the color and description is way off from my JEN MELON and the pics already posted on this thread. Seems to be a yellow cream with a pink tinge.This could just be a bad picture and a better one is out there somewhere. Don't really think I would depend on Tinkers as they show a wide variety of pics sometimes.Ida

Here is a link that might be useful: STARSTRUCK by Yonski

• juliet11
    15 years ago

On the AHS e-mail robin several people said that the All American Daylily Selection Council renamed Jen Melon as Star Struck because it was a more marketable name. Someone grew Jen Melon and Star Struck side by side and said they looked identical. Renaming daylilies makes things very confusing!

Juliet

• justmetoo
    15 years ago

Very strange but there might be something to a rename thing. Trophytaker series has Jen Melon as Jen Melon. Oakes does not list their own Jen Melon but list Star Struck and is listed as Star Struck in the All American series. Why market one with one name in one series and then rename it in another series makes no sense to me, but it becoming to look like Jen Melon and Star Struck are one and the same. Whatever it is, it's a beauty. I have a feeling the Starstruck in my garden is Jen Melon aka Star Struck. One would think the industry could market a daylily under one name especialy if the reason for the name change is 'more marketable name' but then continue to market it under two names. Tanya, enjoy your daylily as I enjoy mine, it's a beauty and worthy of awards no matter what the industry decides to call it ;)
    Rhonda

• njmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now I have to decide what to call it. Star Struck is a much more appealing name (plus there are some Jen's I know that I wouldn't want to be reminded of) but I don't like just changing a name to market it better so I would feel the need to call it JM - its' original name. Anyway, we'll see once a seed pod grows.

• idaf
    15 years ago

Thank you Juliet! See, I am not losing my mind. Oh, happy is me! Actually, I remember when all this renaming took place, so I knew I was right. But as far as finding concrete eveidence, some of the pieces were missing. I know I love my Jen Melon and hope to always have it. It is the registered version, which to me, gives it more value than Star Struck. Ida