SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Runoff problems

17 years ago

Hi everybody,

I was wondeing if any of you could help me with this runoff problem I have in the garden. The lot is on a hill--not very steep, but steepish for Florida. The soil is the worst sugar sand you can imagine. (Think: Beach dune).

When the sand gets very dry, it repels water. The water actually beads, like rain on a freshly waxed car.

We just had an inch of rain, but most of the garden is dry, except for the few low places where the water really gathered--and the places that were wet to begin with.

That's another thing I've noticed: the drainage improves dramatically once the sand is damp. The earth around the citrus and roses got soaked because it was already damp from irrigation.

I sometimes think the easiest way to solve the runoff problem would be to install a good irrigation system and keep the entire garden damp. It would be a waste of water, but then it seems wasteful that so much water is running off into the street and eventually the city sewer system.

I'm considering terracing, digging drains and ditches, building up berms, designing some mini-retention areas, but I hate to do it because the garden is already planted and is finally getting established.

I've tried mulching. It has not helped. The water runs off of the mulch. The sand below stays dry.

I tried improving the soil with organic ammendments, both with and without peat. The water still runs off--unless it's already damp.

I have grass areas, sand areas, areas thickly planted--all have runoff problems unless they're low or wetted down regularly.

Right now some of the paths are turning into little rivers, complete with rapids.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (16)