SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_bc

Planting an Herb Garden

holly_bc
13 years ago

I searched on this topic but, surprisingly, got zero search results! I guess you guys know all about it. :-)

I'm weary of paying multi $$'s for little plastic packages of fresh herbs which often disintegrate before I have my next use for them. :-(

I have an area which is basically a semi-circle, about 10' L x 10' Deep. This area receives pretty good sun - I'd say 10AM or so until 3PM approximately.

I'd like to have largely inground plantings but if you feel some things are best in a pot (such as perhaps mint) I can do that, either with clay pots or thru large black planting pots that I place inground.

I have a rosemary bush (if it survived the cold this year) in a pot. I also have oregano, sage and perhaps thyme but frankly I've no idea now which is which so I have no problem starting again with those. I'd also like to have cilantro, parsley both Italian & Curly, basil and chives. If there is another herb I've overlooked, please feel free to suggest same.

I've lots of chives which, even though they were in little cell packs over the winter-- EEK -- are popping up green and growing just fine; I have parsley as well but I understand one is better to replace parsley plants every couple of years so guess I will buy them again.

I'm thinking - in terms of attractiveness of the plantings - the chives could go at the front edge of the bed, with both parsleys behind that and the rosemary at the rear. Rosemary can get to be a fairly large plant. How large can oregano, thyme . . . get and where should they go in this planting scheme? What about the Cilantro - should I alternate that with the two parsleys?

I could go on and on with questions. What kind of soil do these herbs grow best in?

I'm going to leave this here and see what you experts have to say. Then I can ask questions from there.

Thanks so much for your help with my 'herb project'. :-)

Holly

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida