SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smittee_gw

cold weather vs a papaya tree

smittee
13 years ago

I read a post in texas gardening a papaya surviving a cold winter. I had to touch on the subject.

HERES MY INPUT ON THAT SUBJECT. Four years ago I bought a little papaya tree.YEAR ONE... it froze to the ground

got mushy and dissapeared.

YEAR TWO...it came back from nothing and grew to 3'had 15 flowers, one fruit that didnt get any bigger then a dill pickle

YEAR THREE..it froze to the ground got mushy and dissapeared. in came back from nothing and produced 45 wonderfruit non that were less then 10" long .(if you type in papaya in the search bar it will bring up picture of last years crop.)

YEAR FOUR..2010 it froze, got mushy, fell apart and dissapeared.. May 1, 2 leaves appeared at ground level. June 1, the 2 leaves are now a cluster 3 feet wide and about 18" tall. This is the tree I sent seeds from to several people. I did not plant the seeds I saved. I have had surgery followed by a stroke and week later a seizure and now i have blood clots on my lungs so my gardening this year is confined to my own adaptation of bucket gardening that is doing fairly well concidering, it was unattended for 3 different periods while i was hospitalized.

Comments (10)