SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

No Rebloom On Long Island

newyorkrita
15 years ago

Most of you must know by now that I have this 6 by 26 foot raised bed in my backyard that I call the plateau. It is planted with evergreen and semi evergreen daylilies that I bought and planted last summer. It has been blooming since the end of June and has been absolutely lovely.

Now, I bought daylilies that had rebloom in their description before I realised that these southern types that say rebloom, it does not mean rebloom everywhere but rebloom down south. When I joined the local Long Island Daylily Society here last Fall, I was told that we do not get rebloom here on Long Island.

So, now that the daylilies on the plateau are winding down and the blooms are much less so I am out there

peering at the daylilies in the plateau to see what looked like it was still going to bloom for me. So looking very carefully at where scapes are coming out of fans what do I see? Scapes, scapes. Scapes coming out of fans that

already have a current blooming fan. Now I am not crazy, I went and looked THREE TIMES to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

I had not been aware that any of these were supposed to be of the "instant rebloom" variety although all are listed as rebloomers. I will start with ELEGANT CANDY which is still blooming and has one new scape to bloom coming out of a fan that had not bloomed and another new scape coming from a currently blooming fan. Plus all of these others have another bloom scape coming out of fans currently blooming also - AZTEC BEAUTY, ROSEY RHINO

(multiple new scapes), PRETTY GAUDY, AESTHETIC BALLET and ELEMENT OF SURPRISE.

Ok, so that is really not that many of all the ones planted up there but considering they are almost all still blooming, I thought it was quite extraordinary.

Comments (18)