SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billbrandi

Carambola/Star Fruit Growers?

billbrandi
11 years ago

I planted two of these; one two years ago and another last year, thinking I would be enjoying the fruit by now. But, oh no, neither has fruited, in fact neither has even set a flower to pollinate. Both are 4-6 feet tall, foliage is not thick but growing, but no evidence of flowers to produce fruit.

Any other growers out there have fruiting trees? How long did you have to wait for fruit/flowers to appear?

Thanks

Bill

Comments (13)

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Wondering the same thing. We just bought a carambola tree a few months ago and I'd like to know when we'll be able to enjoy our tree.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Bill and Nessz

I have a very successful star fruit in a big pot and gives a lot of fruit around winter. It started fruiting the first year planted and when we had the freezes I protected. I had a better variety from Excalibur called Bell but it was not protected from the freeze and did not make it.
    My neighbor planted one in the ground and same year he had fruits but of course we had a mild winter.

Bill, what variety do you have? do you fertilize it? because mine is in a pot, requires daily watering unless it rains. Here it is today.

Silvia

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure of the variety, it was a big box special, but here are a few pictures.

• billbrandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...and my daughter and I just returned from our annual "pilgrimage" to see the Cubs at Wrigley Field. For you former Chicagoans you'll recognize the train station and the Addison Ave. sign in the background.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Bill, the leaves on your star fruit look somewhat different than mine but I can only tell the difference after looking at the fruit and sampling. The bell is one of the biggest fruit, taste is very good, the sweeter the better. Some varieties are too sour and used for rootstock.

I am glad that you had fun with your pretty daughter! And I recognize the place, I lived in Chicago for 5 years...

Silvia

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

I didn't think to put mine in a pot. It's in the ground. I'll just have to protect it the best I can in the winter. I'm in zone 10a and we can get the occasional freeze, along with the usual few nights of frost per year.

When is the next time it might bloom if it were to bloom in the first year?

• whgille
    11 years ago

If you are in zone 10a, you have a good chance not to have deep freezes like where I am.
    My carambola is the variety Sri Kembanqan and it started fruiting around July last year and fruited all winter, had a long season. Christmas I made dried candy.

Last July

Christmas

Silvia

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Beautiful! And no, we very rarely get a deep freeze. Once in a long, long while. Thanks :)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I planted one in 01 which i can't remember the cultivar name . Oriental name Noc Duc?? Don't remember when the first fruit but now produces twice a year.It's in flower right now . Huge golden yellow fruit up to 6 inches long,almost seedless almost too sweet ,bug free and can hang on the tree for weeks Only things I've found wrong with it is the "dwarf " is about 25 feet both ways and the crown has been removed twice. it fruits so heavily it breaks the limbs . Most trouble free fuit tree I've found birds don't even bother it . have had no weather problems but I'm in 10 but it didn't even defoliate during the hurricanes. If interested I'll try to find the cultivar name ?? gary

• gnappi
    11 years ago

I have three in the ground and waited for what seemed like an eternity for fruit. Two grew to fairly large size before they finally woke up. Right now I'm in my second season with them, and two had very minor flower cycles and only one fruit set Grrr.... :-) Hopefully they will get going soon for the winter crop.

Carambola are one of my fave fruits that are made better by the fact that they're on the tree when most other fruit trees are asleep.

• wiigodess
    11 years ago

Silvia,
    I don't post much but really want a Carambola/Star fruit tree and do not know where Excalibur is or how to find it. I googled it no luck. Thanks so much, sorry I missed the get-together this year, enjoyed last years.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Wiigodess!

Long time no see you.:) I remember you asking me about the carambola last time that you came to the house.
    Excalibur is in South Florida and they don't ship, they have the Bell variety that I like. But the variety that I have Sri Kembanqan is also good. I got it from a vendor in the Leu Gardens sale. I am sure that you can find it locally where you live. My neighbor bought a variety that he likes and he found it on Craiglist for cheap and they even planted for him. I think that Deland has a farmers market that carry fruit trees, we have one on Saturday in Winter Garden but it will be far for you.
    If you want to do mail order Pine Island ship their trees, now is a good time to buy one before we get the cold weather.
    Let me know what happens and if you find your tree.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: starfruit

• wiigodess
    11 years ago

Thanks Silvia I will keep my eyes open.