SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briandorry55

Starting Okra Seeds - First time gardener

BrianDorry55
10 years ago

Hello everybody!

I am a first time gardener...after dabbling with a handful of tomato plants that were given to me a few months ago, I have been aggressively researching gardening information and I am anxious to start an expansive vegetable garden this fall. Naturally, I was too anxious to wait that long, so I ordered some okra seeds (red and green), figuring that if anything is suited to start in the 90 degree daily temperatures that we're having here in West Central Florida, it would be okra.

I have seen that it is highly recommended to direct sow okra seeds. I want to grow these in pots, because the area that I've reserved for my gardens aren't ready yet, and I'm not equipped to bring in the amount of soil (or non-soil? Since I intend on going with Mel's Mix)...so I have just a few questions for you experts.

1) Have you had success growing okra in containers? Would it be much more productive to find a way to get them directly in the ground?

2) What size pot would I need to support a full-grown okra plant if I plan to sow directly into, and leave it in the same pot?

3) Would it be wise to sow directly into a pot and set up the pots in normal growing preferences? i.e., the scorching direct sunlight of our "wonderful" Florida summers.

Any help, tips, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to sharing experiences with you all!

- Brian

Comments (10)