SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

plants to attract beneficial predatory bugs

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

Hi, I live in brevard county, and I'm wondering what plants people would recommend to attract predators that eat the pests that are eating my plants, and if I'm really lucky, maybe you guys could also recommend places to buy these predators to jump start the process.

I'm mainly seeing whiteflies on my hot pepper plants, especially the super hots (bhut joloka and 7 pot). I'm also seeing caterpillars, and tiny little dark colored flies (but they sorta look like mini wasps, so they might be my allies in this).

I imagine this is a common topic of discussion, but this forum's search engine leaves some to be desired.

the plants still look extremely healthy, but I've been told not to be fooled by that, as the whiteflies will quickly take over and destroy everything if I let them get well established.

the problem is, my plants are in the flowering/early fruit bearing stage, so I'm hesitant to spray pesticide on stuff I intend to eat in the near future.

I was told that there are plants that attract bugs that eat the pests on plants, but trying to search for info leads me to realize that these helper bugs vary a lot by region, so I imagine that the plants that are the most effective to buy vary by region as well.

what works well here in florida? if there's already a good source for this info that I missed, please direct me to it, and forgive me for making a frivolous post.

also, in case it's not abundantly clear, this is my first year as a gardener, so much of this is still very new to me. I apologize for being such a noob.

and just for kicks here's a picture of my pepper garden:

Comments (10)