SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vvesper

so what do you consider inferior plants?

vvesper
14 years ago

I got a couple of H. x hybridus last year from a friend. They were volunteers from her garden, but I selected them while in bloom, and I think they're lovely. They were still in bloom when I planted them. So I am now seeing lots of little seedlings, which I plan to grow on to bigger plants for myself. I'm not a hybridizer; not planning to sell any plants or seed or anything like that.

Having read a number of the posts here on hybridizing just for information - I note that there is some conversation about how good a seed strain is, how good the resulting plants are, etc. Obviously, garden vigor is one thing. I want plants that are vigorous and grow well.

But - how likely am I as just a casual gardener to be disappointed with the appearance of these when they bloom? I'm not looking for any particular colors or anything. Of the pictures I've seen of hellebores, while I certainly like some better than others, I don't think I've seen any that I'd kick to the curb.

But then maybe the uglier ones aren't photographed! So what are your thoughts? When you refer to less than desirable progeny or unattractive specimens - what qualities are you talking about? Anything a regular gardener as opposed to a "hellebore connoisseur" might notice?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored