SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floota

Great lates ( and VLs) in Virginia

floota
14 years ago

Hi everyone, We're into L-VL season here in VA, right on the edge of zone 6/7. Many of these are bona fide L-VL bloomers, but a few are rebloom scapes, and a couple are just blooming out of whack this season! Some have been pictured before but I couldn't resist showing what an incredibly long bloom season they've had ( for this climate.) There are some full forms, but many are spiders-UFs. If you want to have a long bloom season, consider adding some spideries to your garden!

First, DANCES WITH GIRAFFES is still blooming here. I photographed the first bloom here June 14th. Had even dug the clump right before this year's National! It has a few blooms to go. This one's a great bud builder.

{{gwi:880534}}

And I just have to show how ROSE F. KENNEDY greeted me today. I took the first bloom shot of this on June 12. It still has a bud or two to go. This will make my pop poll list for sure. Not sure if I'll get rebloom every year, but this one did rebloom this year.

Dan Bachman has several great lates. I'll confess that as a former music teacher, I had to get this one for the name. It is a clear red and a welcome sight when not much else is blooming. This is BOOGIE MY WOOGIE BABY. ( Dan likes jazz and has some great names for his daylilies!)

{{gwi:880538}}

SHOO-FLY PIE has been blooming for weeks. This was earlier today, and there are blooms to go. Great plant habits!

{{gwi:880540}}

One of his that just started is CHARON THE FERRYMAN. Great late clump!

{{gwi:880541}}

Judy Davisson's MEAN GREEN is finishing up with a wowser huge bloom today!

And Margo Reed's ONCE UPON A TIME continues to enchant me. Every bloom is perfect. This was new here last fall.

Margo's WHITE CHOCOLATE is also fast becoming a favorite here. The blooms have a glowing quality and the ruffled petals and cascade form are great. This will be introduced this fall I think.

This one has been here for two years and just started blooming. It is a gary Schaben registration. Although he registered it as EM, it just started blooming here, so I don't know what it will do in the future. You can tell that NORTHWIND DANCER is one of its parents. This is WATERDALE WALTZ.

{{gwi:880546}}

Two of Jim Murphy's registered as VL's are blooming. SIMMERING ELEPHANTS was new last fall, so it may bloom later next year. It started blooming in ML this year.

I love the unusual look of this!

{{gwi:880547}}

Jim's RUNNING LATE has just started blooming. One of its parents is LOLA BRANHAM, which is obvious. It went until late Sept. last year.

{{gwi:880548}}

Michael Miller's SMALL WORLD TWISTER has made a nice clump here ( although this pic had some backlighting issues.)

It starts blooming ML here.

{{gwi:880549}}

Jack Carpenter's SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL is probably blooming out of whack. Early scapes blasted when we had lots of rain in early June, so these are later than normal. Big flat bright blooms - love them!

{{gwi:880550}}

TALLADEGA is new here this spring. I was a little disappointed when I saw it in FL. and realized it wasn't going to be fire engine red like the pictures. But it put up a rebloom scape and today had the most beautiful ( also HUGE) bloom I've seen on it.

{{gwi:880551}}

And - last one - ALAN LANE AGIN had the most perfect bloom I've seen on it since it got here two years ago. It has had a hard time getting established here, but maybe now it will take off.

{{gwi:880552}}

That's all - the only clump which hasn't started here is SANDRA ELIZABETH, the VL marker. ( it gets a bit of shade.) It will be blooming w/i the next week.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (15)