SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

Ginger massacre!

KaraLynn
15 years ago

I'm getting so frustrated I could cry! For the past several weeks critters have been invading my shade garden in the back yard and shredding all my ginger plants. Out of the nearly three dozen types of gingers that I have and that have started growing for the year only ten of them still have anything left above ground. The rest have all been nawed off at the base and chewed up. Included among the gingers that have been eaten are my ruby queen globba, silver comet globba, dancing crane, the red leaf curcuma, emperor curcuma, both clumps of siam tulip, both clumps of red cone ginger, and the white butterfly ginger. Yesterday they started on my cooking ginger!

So far I've tried live trapping the culprits with limited success. I've caught two racoons and one possom. The larger of the two racoons was pretty docile so it was relocated miles down the road and released in the state forest. The other racoon would have been relocated as well if it hadn't hissed, growled and lunged at me when I approched the cage. Going through one round of rabies shots in my lifetime is enough for me, those things are painful! Dad took care of racoon number two and the possom and lets just say that the local hawks were very happy with him.

I bought some organic spray that's supposed to drive away animals but the only one who was driven away was me! The smell of the stuff made me naseous and the wind spread it troughout the yard so I ended up stuck in the house for the rest of the day. It didn't keep away the critters though since when I managed to get back to the garden again more gingers had been shredded.

Another idea I have for protecting the remaining plants is to chop up some jalopeno peppers and scatter them around the plants while smearing some pureed peppers onto the plants. If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of doing is to fence in my yard and borrow mom's beagle/basset mix dog Cheddar to drive all the wildlife away.

To add insult to injury, now the squirrels are attacking the native bromeliads that I mounted to my trees and shredding them!

Has anyone else had this kind of problem in their gardens? If so how did you handle it?

There's a picture of the one racoon that I was able to relocate. He's awfully cute for such a destructive menace!

Comments (14)