SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tclynx

Storing the Harvest

15 years ago

I'm making progress in being able to can and store more of the harvest from the garden.

In the past few months we have...

Started setting up an outdoor kitchen space (even unfinished, it is getting plenty of use)

Gotten a medium/large chest freezer (wow that filled up fast)

Gotten some canning equipment. Presto 22 Qt pressure canner and some other jars and implements useful to canning. I have already tried my had at some kumquat marmalade. (used the presto as a BWB pot for that.) Now I have the weight set so can try some chilli or something soon.

We have built some more shelves in the kitchen/dining room so we have some space to store the home canned stuff inside.

Being Florida, we can't really keep stuff as cool as the suggested storage of 50-70 F but at least indoors it won't be subjected to the 80-90 F we get in the garage or shed. I just have to hope that our canned food will be comfortable enough at the same temps we live at. (Keeping the house below 70 F would be far too costly in AC over the warmer months. 75-78 F will have to do for the summer.

We have an old fashion screen drawer dehydrator as well as one of the round plastic plug in dehydrators. We have dried some stuff that way (again being in Humid Florida, we usually run that next to the dehumidifier.) Solar dehydrating doesn't really work so well here and stuff definitely can't be left outside overnight while drying.

Curing things like sweet potatoes is rather easier here than in much of the rest of the country since it is often warm and humid and sweet potatoes need not get much extra attention for curing. After digging and letting the sweet potatoes dry off a bit and dusting the dirt off of them they should be stored for a week at around 80-85% humidity and 80-85 F. This is supposed to help seal up the skin to assist in longer storage. Sweet potatoes generally like to be stored at slightly warmer temps than many other root crops. Good thing since a root cellar isn't really an option here. Currently sweet potatoes are using the spare room, all snugged down in paper sacks or cardboard boxes.

How do you store your Harvest?

Comments (3)