SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
an_ill_mannered_ache

peter rabbit must die

a pretty good article in today's nyt that many of us here will identify with...
THE homeowner, a city-boy artist and illustrator who had moved to rural Pennsylvania, never wanted to kill the woodchucks. Sure, they were ruining the garden and digging up the foundations of outbuildings, but it was a moral issue: the artist, who is still so uncomfortable about what transpired  and so concerned about how his New York clients would feel about it that he is not willing to be identified  did not want to take a life.

Given the size of the property  a 12-acre former horse farm  fencing was out of the question. He bought a Havahart live animal trap but did not catch a thing. And he worried that releasing woodchucks down the road would only be dumping the problem on a neighbor. So he moved on to that tried-and-true landlordÂs tactic: harassment. He attached a hose to the exhaust pipe of his old pickup truck and stuffed it into a burrow  not to kill the woodchucks, just to encourage them to move on. That didnÂt work, either.

Finally, the artist decided he would have to shoot the animals. First, though, he went to each hole and made an announcement.

"I said: ÂI intend to kill you. You have 24 hours to get out, " he recalls. "I wanted to give them fair warning. I said, ÂIf I were you, I would find another place to live. I also promised them I would not take a shot unless I knew it would be fatal."

much more here...

Here is a link that might be useful: peter rabbit must die

Comments (2)