SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Leaving My Garden This Year

organic_kitten
12 years ago

Several plants have run out of time to impress me this year, and so are going.

One of them has had a few pretty blooms, but it is going anyway.

Wise Woman:

Also, Ice Carnival, Old King Cole, and Cajun Rhythm are leaving.

What is leaving your garden this year?

kay

Comments (42)

• phaltyme21
    12 years ago

Lusty Little Lulu, Sombrero Way, Evening Gown and I am
    considering several more.

Kay

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I am impressed that you even have a picture to go with your shovel prune list. I say get rid of 'em if they are poor performers. So many other daylilies to choose from.

As you all know I do want to make room to be able to add at least afew new additions. I already ordered three. So something has to get the axe around here. So in my garden I have tied orange surveyers tape around the scapes of ones to go and not cut those scapes. I choose ones too much look alikes, ones I just never did really like the flowers, too ordinary and poor or stingy bloomers. Just don't have a list right now and never counted them up so don't know how many it will turn out to be.

• Related Discussions

2nd Year Newbie Questions about planning my garden this year.

Q

Comments (3)
    Welcome back to the wonderful world of gardening! :) (I'm in a happy mood because all of my crocus are blooming!) Without going into too much detail, rotating is used mainly for two reasons: to help prevent the build-up of disease and to help avoid depletion of the soil of certain substances. Any basic gardening (vegetable) book will usually go into detail. But essentailly it boils down to moving plants so that you don't grow the same types of plant in a spot year after year. I started listing what shouldn't go where, but really it is easier if you look in a book. Or online. But corn next to lettuce isn't a problem, whereas peppers where your tomatoes were last year might be. Cheers!
    ...See More

Fall leaves in my garden, can I leave them there like a mulch?

Q

Comments (5)
    The leaves that fall from the trees growing in my yard get mulch mowed back into the soil they came from to feed the soil the trees are growing in. I pick up leaves on excursions to town to shred for mulching my planting beds and to make compost. As justaguy indicated whole leaves tend to matt together and make a somewhat impervious barrier to plant growth and if possible you should shred those leaves some way. A rotary mower is a fairly good machine to use for that if some simple precautions are taken first. You do need a fairly solid stand for the mower, blocks ot keep the mower from moving without interfering with raking the leaves under the mower deck. A means of catching the leaves as the mower mulches them, a cage of some kind, or a bag on the mower so you can pick them up as you mow so you need not rake them.
    ...See More

leaving my garden of 7 years

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm coming up on the first anniversary of building my fourth garden in New York City in more than 25 years. Each has presented its own challenges and opportunities for growth (mine and the garden's). In the East Village: shade gardening behind a townhouse. In Park Slope: container gardening on a concrete slab, and weed control and rehabilitation of a neglected backyard. And now in Flatbush: All of the above challenges, and growing opportunities, and more new ones (new garden, new weeds). I don't want to say this is my "last" garden, but it will certainly keep me busy for a couple decades. It's the first that I (with my partner) own. It's about five times the area I've ever dealt with. I even have a small lawn! It's been difficult to leave behind each garden. Several things help. I take some of the "old" plants to the "new" garden. I look forward to what the next garden will teach me. I take pride that I've left each space better than I found it. And I dream about what I will leave behind for the gardener to come.
    ...See More

6 year old soil--can it support my container garden this year?

Q

Comments (6)
    It is not a valid comparison to equate what farmers do with inground soil conditions and gardening in containers. Container potting soil will continue to breakdown and compact, impeding good drainage and eliminating aeration and porosity. That doesn't happen when gardening in the ground. It has nothing at all to do with nutrient content as potting soil offers little to none - it ALL must be supplied by the grower. And while the grower can provide nutrients as needed, the only way the grower can ensure fast drainage and proper aeration is by replacing the soil annually.
    ...See More
  • organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay and Rita,
    Good for you. Change is necessary. I forgot Tribute to Mike, and Mexican Magic. I will be carefully considering to see if anything else is going. I already made some room by moving five to the front bed.

• maximus7116
    12 years ago

My list is too long to post here, but I'm planning to get rid of about 50-75 daylilies this year. I think I went a little crazy when I first discovered daylilies and wasn't thinking straight. :o) I'm much pickier now.

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I got rid of a couple earlier this season & thinned down a couple others. I may get rid of Frankly Scarlet, it just never seems to open up well. I don't think it had a single nice looking bloom on it. I have a few others that, if I didn't have so much space available, I might get rid of, & can certainly see them leaving at some point. They will definitely be moving to less prime real estate in my garden.
    Kay, what do you not like about Mexican Magic? That is on my list to purchase from Maryott's, just haven't sent my order in yet.

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

I will be getting rid of Ida's Magic, Siloan Merle Kent(look like too many other things), Baltimore Oriole, Eenie Allegro, Daring Deception, Hyperian Elite,Malaysian Spice. Probably Pandora's Box, Jessica Lillian, True Grit, Smuggler's Gold, Pixie Piper. Debating a few others. I have a love hate relationship with Startle-when it's pretty-it's pretty, but sometimes it's just OK. I need to get rid of more (or store for a while) because I need to rework the back bed somehow. Too much clay and the daylilies don't do as well there as they do in the rest of the yard. They have struggled this summer in the heat/no rain. Iris don't mind that area, nor do lilies and coneflowers, but daylilies struggle.
    I like Mexican Magic-it's done well here!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ngraham,
    Mexican Magic has done okay, it just is not different enough form several others.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

No list yet, just waiting till next month to do a finally evaluation. The 3 year test is what I try to stick to.

I also have several which I have 2 clumps of so one has to go if I can't find additional room in the backyard beds.

Julia

• jkayd_il5
    12 years ago

I am like Chris, we got to big to quick and I am more picky now also. I find these are the ones I don't look at. I am getting rid of the following:

Alexa Kathryn
    China Veil
    Daring Deception
    Elizabeth Salter
    Emperor Butterfly
    Exotic Treasure
    Eye on America
    Gentle Shepherd
    Happy Apache
    Ice Carnival
    Inherited Wealth
    Matt
    Old King Cole
    Pink Cotton Candy
    Purple Pinwheel
    Seductress
    Strutters Ball
    Well of Souls
    Willowware
    Moonlit Masquerade

Some wouldn't open right, others are in the foliage or blotchy blooms and the others I just don't like. Judy

• floota
    12 years ago

My list is over 50 that are outta here this fall!! Each year I'm cutting back with the goal of getting the # of registered cultivars under 500 w/i a few years. Have made progress as the garden is now under 700 - down from 1000 about 4 years ago. The problem is, it is still difficult not to add a few each year. Basically,anything that I don't absolutely love or anything that isn't an A+ performer here is on the chopping block. Am hoping to have totals under 650 by the time of next summer's Regional tour.
    But it is funny that so many that the previous two posts listed cultivars that used to grow here too and are now long gone. We get pickier as we grow daylilies over a period of time, and the first thing we usually learn is that sometimes a pretty picture in a catalog doesn't perform the way we expect! (What a rude awakening it is on the day that we see a $200 plant blooming in the foliage with a bud count of 8 or less, probably bearing little resemblance to the catalog picture!!)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Obviously I don't have nearly as many as all of you :) I'm seeing a lot on your lists that I have, they do well in my garden, & I plan to keep them :) I see others that are on my wish list, now I'm rethinking those a bit.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really don't want to go beyond the space I have. I will move things around...put some in other beds, but that means something else won't be there.

My goal is to have a garden full of cultivars that delight me with the color and performance performance from beginning to end of season. If I don't really like the way it looks, I won't buy it, and if I don't like the way it performs, I won't keep it.

kay

• Nancy Barginear
    12 years ago

Sadly, a lot of mine are on their way out, but not because I wanted it. I've lost so many from crown rot this year.

Nancy

• nat4b
    12 years ago

Posted by phaltyme21 5-6
    Lusty Little Lulu, Sombrero Way, Evening Gown and I am
    considering several more.
    Kay, can you please post a picture of Evening Gown? What's wrong with it?

I have several I need to divide and some that I'd like to dig out, but I'd hate to just throw them away, and nobody seems to be interested in taking them (I offered to all the people I know). One lady is going to take a few but she picked the ones I was not going to get rid of or divide ;)

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

ngraham-Most of what is leaving my house isn't because I have had problems with the flower per se. When I got my first daylilies they were 'hand me downs' from my Aunt and Dad. Then I started buying some things just because I didn't have it yet (I think we all go through that stage), then I started finding what I liked personally and realizing that I had several flowers that looked almost identical. I've also gotten several bonus plants from various places that weren't something they I would have purchased (for some reason I seem to get a lot of spiders as bonus or large dark purple UF's that look similar) I don't really like spiders that well. Matt and Smuggler's Gold are very similar-but Matt holds it's color a little better. Siloam Merle Kent looks alot like Mardi Gras Parade-but I like the eye just a little bit better on Mardi Gras. Malaysian Spice looks alot like English Toffee and a couple others I have. I have limited space and when I find things I like better, something has to go! Would be happy to send my outgoings to anyone who would like to pay postage-I HATE killing plants and usually just overwinter them at my Dad's house and dig up for spring plant sale.

• flowergirl70ks
    12 years ago

I got rid of thirteen, but not because I wanted to. The yard guy sprayed them with weed killer. I'm still mad.

• dementieva
    12 years ago

I moved MANGO NECTAR to my dad's garden in Arkansas, along with some extra divisions of other things. It put up one scape that completely aborted, and then it kept looking crispier and crispier while other ones nearby seemed fine. The roots looked good though, so I think it just didn't like the heat and it will come back.

Nate

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

flowergirl! That is awful, I am sorry. Nate, the heat can be a problem, but if it isn;'t too dry, it should be fine. I have planted several this summer, and all are okay so far. I am closely watching Channel Cat Vernon, but it has put up a new fan, so I think it will be fine.

kay

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Siloam Merle Kent, mauve for me and Always Afternoon is much bigger and prettier

Wineberry Candy and Inwood, both flesh toned, not orchid and cream

Catherine Neal, red not purple, poor bloomer

Marked By Lydia, just don't like it

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I have such a hard time letting things go because I'm the queen of second chances and making excuses for why things might not be doing well, so "Ill wait till next year"

I traded out Siloam Merle Kent even though it's a great bloomer, because I don't love mauve or muted colors.
    I traded out Burst of Eternity because I had other colors like it.
    I might trade out Dublin Elaine and a pale double yellow for the same reason- I have similar that I like just a tad better.
    I have some beautiful pastels, too that are so similar and I don't even remember ordering them, but I should just pick one and trade out the other.

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Reading all the responses here from much more experienced DL gardeners gives me the courage to let go. So much time, hopes and money go into filling the garden with DLs. DLs have been spread through out my Cottage garden over the last 4 years. Full to capacity now at 96. If a new one is to come an oldie has to go. I see now too that some will have to go simply to make room for good clumping of those that prove to be favorites. I am sure that is a common novice mistake of not allowing enough room per DL. Friends with sparse gardens are willing recipients of the cast offs. There are 2 that have proven even too ugly for me to even consider giving to another garden here. Darla Anita and Jerry Nettles have been nothing but muddy dead color for me. The yellow chicken fat edges are not for me, oh no. Being exposed to, educated on and enabled to only the most exquisite DLs on this forum I know there will be alot of coming and going.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I'm digging a bunch of STRUTTER'S BALL and, if I can to go the plant, a bunch of MORRI for our club's sale. I actually really like SB, but I have an enormous clump, and I just don't need that much of it.

I'm this close to doing the same with VERA BIAGLOW. Love the color, but this daylily refuses to open fully for me. I've gone from mildly irked to stunningly annoyed every time I walk by it!

I've decided, since I have the room, to give PRECIOUS CANDY a little more time. I plan to move it to an even warmer and more protected spot. If it shapes up, that's fine. If it doesn't, it's outta here.

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

Well this year I don't have any that are leaving my garden. I haven't bought any new ones in the past couple years so i'm enjoying what i have. But a few years ago when i was buying lots i got rid of a bunch either gave away or traded or shared with family - they were:

Siloam Merle Kent
    Wineberry candy
    Strawberry Candy
    Pandoras box
    Imperial Inca
    and about 50 more i forgot the names of.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I had forgotten but I had dug and tossed one earlier this year. It was one of those extra early Olallie ones I got years ago trying to extend the season. It didn't even have a name. Just the VT prefix and a number. A small bloomed nothing looking bland yellow very plain daylily. Long gone in the trash.

• northerndaylily
    12 years ago

TICKLE ME ELMO ... gets my vote for a 'must leave'. A greenhouse day lily that grows very poorly and has NO resemblance to it's internet representation. Third yr here now.. I laugh.. one of those spur of the moment buys. All of the other flowers from that source have been junk.. I figured they ALL couldn't be. Was wrong.. :)

Tickle Me Elmo is good bad.. I wouldn't want to stick someone with it. It sits as a reminder.... almost all greenhouse breeders send JUNK.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

"TICKLE ME ELMO ... gets my vote for a 'must leave'. A greenhouse day lily that grows very poorly and has NO resemblance to it's internet representation "

Oh dear. It's been on my list for a while now.

• njmomma
    12 years ago

Although ICE CARNIVAL didn't do well for me this year, it's done very well in the past 2 years and I love the natural looking form of it so I'm giving it another year or 2 to prove itself again to me.
    I've gotten rid of the following this year, or will get rid of:
    STRAWBERRY CANDY
    SPIDER MAN
    TOM WISE
    STATELY SIR
    BLUE HAPPINESS
    ANNABELLE'S BLUSH
    GOLDEN ANGEL
    LITTLE RED DRAGON
    MISS JESSIE
    HAPPY RETURNS
    ABSOLUTE TREASURE
    BLACKBERRY CANDY
    RACHEL'S TEA PARTY
    BAYOU BRIDE
    BRIGHT AND SHOWY
    DRIVING ME WILD
    ELIZABETH SALTER
    HERITAGE CHINA
    JOCK RANDALL
    LEONARD BERNSTEIN
    LORD OF RICHES
    PARDON ME
    MAGIC CARPET RIDE
    MATT
    PERSIAN MARKET
    RED VOLUNTEER
    ROCKET CITY
    SILOAM BABY TALK
    SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC
    SILOAM JUNE BUG
    SO EXCITED
    SOMEDAY MAYBE
    SONG WRITER
    SPLENDID TOUCH
    SWIRLING WATER
    SWEET SUGAR CANDY
    WEB OF INTRIGUE
    WAITING FOR PEACE
    WHITE CRINOLINE
    WOODSIDE FIREDANCE
    WOODSIDE ROMANCE

• celeste/NH
    12 years ago

Since I am new to the daylily addiction, almost all my daylilies, with the exception of a few NO IDS are newly acquired this year or last fall so I can't assess performance, budcount, etc. yet.

I know that with roses, of which I have hundreds, for years I couldn't bring myself to 'shovel-prune' any of the 'dogs'
    but that has changed and I have eliminated many poor performers or virused roses. So I understand it would be
    the same way with daylilies.

If any of you decides they would be willing to ship some of
    your unwanted daylilies for postage, I would be glad to take them. I mostly interested in the ones that you find do well
    performance-wise but you've simply grown tired of them.
    I have a garden in the side yard which needs some more color and I would give them a good home. Debra sent me some and I was pleased to get them, and they are doing well.
    Because I'm new to daylilies, they all look pretty to me and I just don't know which ones will be the 'stars' until I grow them....and I'd rather not spend loads of $$$ only to
    toss them.

Celeste

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

NJ Momma:

Would you care to comment on a few cultivars that you discarded or will discard? It can be helpful in making decisions. Annabelle's Blush, Song Writer, Woodside Romance. I realize that sometimes one just gets tired of a particular cultivar. Thanks.

• gonegardening
    12 years ago

Well, as I say every year, many must go. Everyone has their preferences and ultimately, you should only grow what delights you and your space allows. Now, if I could just hold to that...lol.

Rita has a great perspective on it, I think. I'm working toward that...it's easy to get rid of the ones that don't wow you...but, hard to get rid of ones that have a beautiful bloom (and you paid a lot for) and subpar performance. However, like others said, we gotta do it.

I am constantly out of room and keep buying, so my bad. Plus, with all the crowding, I'm sure I have let and will let some go that would be great performers...if they had more room, more sun, more whatever. It can be tough here.

What is, is. Ultimately, we'd all like to walk out and only see wonderfulness all the time...it's a work in progress.

P.S. You do know that the daylilies hear you and sometimes when threatened with departure, they put on a stunning performance that has you shaking your head...

P.P.S...Having had the great pleasure of visiting floota's garden a few years ago, I must say that I thought it was wonderfulness everywhere...lol...well grown daylilies...wow...so, I'd listen if she gets rid of one for lack of performance...

P.P.P.S. (and I'll be quiet...for now..) I saw mention of Precious Candy. I got a single fan a couple years ago...and that single fan has increased and it blooms beautifully here...It's hard to be a single fan here, so I give it a lot of credit. Its earns its spot here.

• njmomma
    12 years ago

mantis - Annabelle's Blush, Song Writer, Woodside Romance - they just aren't to my taste. Most of the ones on my list are very good performers but I have limited space so I can only keep ones that I "ooh" and "aaah" over or if I really like 2 but they are too similar I'll just keep one of them.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I think that some dayliles do better in certain zones. My best bloomers are Annabelle's Blush and Pirate King. I can't imagine getting rid of Annabelle's blush, I am zone 9 coastal. It would be wise to trade non preforming dayliles with someone from a diffrent zone for their non preforming dayliles. I get my dayliles from Maryott's. Before I send in my order, I check with Bill to see how that daylily does for him, since we have similar climates. He always steers me the right way. The only daylily that doesn't do well for me is Secret Friend, a gift. It probably needs to be in zone 5 to reach its full potential. This is a pictures of Annabell's Blush in June, I am about 1000 ft from a Texas bay.
    {{gwi:501592}}

• mizellie
    12 years ago

Well, I don't have a list but as they bloomed, I marked them to go. Actually, some are gone already. I'm down to about 600 now not counting seedlings. Woe is me!! I turned right around and ordered some from Bill Maryott. I still am downsizing though...Hehehe!! Ellie

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

The following are going so far:
    Stella de Oro - I have so many clumps of it around the garden that I don't need so many. I've placed Stella on the Trade forum as a freebie for postage. I just can't toss them. No heart.

BANNED IN BOSTON- doesn't like it hear. It is a large clump but for some reason doesn't do good here.
    FILLED TO OVERFLOWING - poor performer here so it has to go and the fans are tiny so why take up space.
    OPEN DOOR - another poor performer here. Low bud count compared to other ones I have of Karol's.
    MESOZOIC MUNCH,CANYON COLORS,CAVE CREEK CANYON - this year the growth was pitiful but the blooms are great. Each year it does this to me but this year, I'm sticking to getting rid of them.
    AUTUMN WOOD - beautiful bloom but low bud count here and this year it needs to go.
    DAVID KIRCHHOFF - each year it looks like it will do good and the following year it is back to looking bad. Time to go.
    I'm on the fence with DARLA ANITA. I love the blooms when she behaves but this year...yuck. The other one is STARTLE. I'm not into teeth on daylilies (no offense to anyone who hybridizes for that particular form)
    The following are clumps were I have 2 of the same so one of them will go.
    WISEST OF WIZARDS
    EGGPLANT ECSTASY
    FRANS HAL
    SHADY LADY

I'm still evaluating but these are at the top of the list.

Julia

• floota
    12 years ago

It is very interesting reading all of your lists. Much of this has to be climate driven, and we also just get tired of things after a while. FILLED TO OVERFLOWING does wonderfuly here, but I got rid of BANNED IN BOSTONE, WISEST OF WIZARDS and AUTUMN WOOD years ago. SPIDER MAN is a wonderful imposing clump and I also have a huge clump of DARLA ANITA. ICE CARNIVAL, LORD OF RICHES, BLACKBERRY CANDY, ABSOLUTE TREASURE and a complete Siloam bed as well as a candy bed are long gone, but I still grow ORNAMENTAL FOCUS as it is a great performer here! Go figure - to each his own!

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

Julia-I know I have felt the same way about Startle as you do David Kirchoff. I tried to get rid of it last year, but at the last minute saved a couple fans to give it another chance.
    As far as Banned in Boston, I found that it does not like to be disturbed in my yard (zone 5). If I just leave it alone, it does fine after a couple years of not being bothered. If I move it, it will struggle for awhile. I also have ChooChoo Fantasy which is similar in color and not as sensitive.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Very interesting discussion ... and I see many on people's lists that I have had and gotten rid of, or will be getting rid of. My goal is to make more room for seedlings without making new beds ... so things need to go.

So far I have gotten rid of this year, or will be getting rid of this year:

Ben Adams
    Canadian Border Patrol
    Chevron SPider
    Classic Caper
    Cotton Jenny
    Delightful Treasurs
    El Bandito
    Fancy Face
    Forgotten Dreams
    Goldmist Red
    2 species daylilies
    Ice Carnival
    Kiss Me
    Leonard Sauter
    Lunar Max
    Master Stroke
    Mynelle's Starfish
    Nile Plum
    Pandora's Box
    Pink Super SPider
    Sincere Prayer
    Spacecoast Freaky Tikki
    Special Moment
    Spiritual Corridor
    Texas Toffee

ANd whatever else I need to move out to have a bed ready for seeds this Fall.

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

I cheat and plant my seedlings at my dad's house (he has 5 acre I don't)until I decide if I want to evaluate further, then I bring them to my house. But I need to clear an area about 4 X 10" so I can do something to the soil there. It used to be a dog run and had been filled with fill dirt at some point in time before we bought the house. It has a lot of clay and a lot of stones. So I want to try to fix one strip this year, one strip next year, etc.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Lisa, I posted an easy fix solution suggestion for your dog run area on your thread.

• nat4b
    12 years ago

Those of you with a long (or not so long) list of daylilies to go, what do you do with the plants? I don't have any friends with farms or acreages, and I don't want to throw stuff away. Any suggestions?

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Post daylilies free for postage on the forum here. You will have lots of takers!

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

nat4b: you can also post on the Plant Exchange. I just did it to get rid of extra Stella's and they are all spoken for already. Same with the bearded iris. You can't sell on the exchange but you can trade and also give away for free for postage.
    One thing, have a good idea what the postage will cost BEFORE you dig anything up.
    I think it pays to reach out to the entire GW community so you get more exposure and who knows, you may just enable someone else.
    For the ones I think are worth a few bucks and the money will go toward "Julia needs a new daylily fund " ;-), is sell them on the Lily Auction or on the AHS Email Robin Bulletin Board.
    Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: PLANT EXCHANGE