SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee53011

what shined and what sucked this year?

lee53011
17 years ago

I would say that I was most dissapointed in my datura purple this year. It was my first time growing it and it is very large and impressive, but the flowers look kind of muddy. And it wilts in a heartbeat. Also some of the canna bulbs I planted didn't come up so left a big hole. Also my caladiums I planted under a limbed up pine are first sprouting now!

Of the vines I planted, the purple hyacinth bean would be the best. The black eyed susan vine and the cardinal vine are just too wispy for what I intended.

On the good side I found some new favorites. Melampodium is awesome! Continuous flowers, withstands blazing sun with no water and never wilts. Also zinnia profusion orange is a constant blooming, self cleaning, easy to grow plant. And purple majesty millet paired with the yellow melampodium just couldn't be beat. Also working great would be agastache, butterfly bush, nicotiana, calendula, and white datura. All these were grown from seed very easily.

So what did you think did great or sucked? Looking for new ideas for next year. With the thousands of different plants out there I'm sure someone else has found some new favorites for me to try!

Lee

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!