SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Some seedlings from Friday

shive
12 years ago

This is Chance Encounter X Never Been Kissed #3, a 3-year-old seedling. Despite being grown in part-shade, this seedling had 4-way branching and 14 buds this year. There were several bracts on the scapes. And I think, if grown in full sun next year, it might have 5 to 6-way branching.

It has a 5.5 inch bloom.

EVENING ENCHANTMENT X GILDED KNIGHT - This is a 4-year-old seeding with a 5.5 inch bloom on 28-inch scapes. I was disappointed the bud count and branching were down this year from last. Then I realized it's getting almost two hours of sun less each day because of the spread of my neighbor's walnut tree. Last year it had 4-way branching with 22-23 buds per scape. This year 3-way branching with 16-18 buds per scape. I have 12 fans of this one now, and will be dividing the clump in August and planting some divisions in full sun. At some point in the future I will register this one. It is extra early and sunfast in very high temps. The clump has bloomed for more than a month now on a single set of scapes.

Garden named "Poop Eye." This came from an alleged cross of Mystic Mariner and George Jetson. I hated the brown color, so I dug it out of bed this spring and threw it on my compost pile. It went on to develop 4-way branching and 22 buds with its roots exposed and getting watered only by rain. Now it's putting up rebloom scapes. Because of that performance, I'm having second thoughts. Do you think anyone would actually buy this daylily?

Debra

Comments (17)