SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eileen_nv

Q For Central FL (and others) Tomato growers

eileen_nv
13 years ago

The question is about BUGS! Not simply insects, but "true bugs" those suckers (not swearing, describing feeding habits). The green and brown stinkbugs, leaf footed bugs, and squash bugs. They will not leave the tomatoes alone (nor the beans, the peppers nor the eggplants)

The sprays that are recommended all have to hit the bug to be effective, and there are always lots of them, and they drop at the least stirring of the leaves. No sprays (that I want to use!) are potent enough to kill them with the amount that they get when they stick their straw into the fruit.

I squish as well as I can. I have never seen an egg cluster, even though I look - they hide them somewhere. They really make a mess of the fruit - where the punctures are they not only get those white spots, but they eventually start to rot (bugs are dirty, I guess - surprise!) For the tomatoes, I bring them inside as soon as they show color, to window-ripen. But they would surely taste better vine ripened.

I'm just so envious of the smooth evenly colored tomatoes you are all posting - you must know something that will help me?

Thanks, and happy gardens, all.

Eileen

Comments (5)