SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Late Season and Rebloom?

newyorkrita
16 years ago

I there really any point in trying to find late season bloomers that rebloom? I am thinking that it would wind up too late in the year for rebloom but maybe I am wrong.

Currently I have absolutely nothing late season.

I am thinking to order El Desperado and Susan Weber both late season bloomers with no rebloom. I am also thinking about Paradise City, which is listed as a late season rebloomer which I noticed from Debra's pictures of late bloomers.

I don't know if I should look for rebloom in lates or not. Everything I have been buying new this year for early and midseason, I have made sure I picked rebloomers.

Comments (27)

• joann95118
    16 years ago

That is a great question. I only have several plants that are supposed to be ML and of those only MAKE BELIEVE MAGIC actually appears to start blooming later that my others. It is a rebloomer but since it is a new plant there is no telling how late the rebloom will actually be. I can say that when the EE and E were almost finished blooming MBM was putting out scapes even though none of the flowers were opening yet. I think it also depends on how the plant reblooms. Some start their rebloom while the first set of scapes are still blooming and others bloom long after the first bloom is finished. I am not sure that there is any way to know in advance which way the plant reblooms. I have always been sorry that so many of mine were EE because some of them can't seem to open during the cool weather.

I would be inclined to try a couple of L's and a couple of L's that were rebloomers and see how they work in your yard. Good luck.

JoAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Believe Magic

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I figgure I would bump this up as I don't think too many people have seen it.

• Related Discussions

the raised bed project

Q

Comments (17)
    Bear and Sable are sweeties.. but being DANGEROUS ROTWEILLERS - most people just assume they will bite and don't even approach. Not a bad thing with all the alone time I have here. Nancy and Connie got the full treatment when they were here -- Bear thinks he is the size of a dashound and mauls you to death. 140 pounds standing on your foot doesn't always feel good..lol We don't have alot of problems with deer as there is plenty to eat without dining on my daylilies. Right now though - a @#%^&&* armadillo is in and out of my back 200 foot bed. We are going to try to trap him if I notice any new damamge in the next few weeks-- if that doesn't work - well DH will have to just go hunting! Carlamarie - you have now entered the world of the truly addicted. My pot ghetto got so out of hand because I ALWAYS buy more than I should -- but does that mean I stop.. no..lol.. lucky for me we have almost 9 acres. Just accept your addiction - don't fight it.. Shelly
    ...See More

More lates and rebloomers

Q

Comments (16)
    EDGE OF YOUR SEAT shows up at: http://www.ogdenstationdaylilies.com/pb/wp_33369204/wp_33369204.html http://www.dayliliesbythepond.com/index.php/daylilies/registered/e-g/edge-of-your-seat.html -- She's in Ohio, same state as the hybridizer of EDGE OF YOUR SEAT. http://www.daylilylane.com/DaylilyCatalog.pdf --- Is this an old catalog? Not sure. http://www.blueridgedaylilies.com/website/pricelist/ http://amityabloom.com/catalog/PDFs/2013-PriceList.pdf ---These people are in Ohio. http://www.pplantpeddler.com/Images/Daylilies/Daylily%20%20Prices%20and%20Description%20PDF%202014.pdf --- do not know whether they do mail order
    ...See More

Late season tomatoes ripped BEFORE early season tomatoes

Q

Comments (14)
    Daniel, I have experienced very similar results this year in northern MN. All seeds were started at the same time, planted out at the same time, and treated the same. 2 of my early varieties (Glacier & Bloody Butcher) did beat Cherokee Purple, but only by 8 or 9 days. About 10 days after the 1st early small tomatoes, I picked a Giant Belgium that weighted 1# 8oz. At about 2 weeks after the earliest fruit, several 1# plus C.P. were being picked. The 1st fruit from my "Early Pick" variety were just starting about this same time. However, other large varieties, are very late. Mortgage Lifter, Black Krim, Super Steak, Super Beef Steak, are all very Sloooow. All plants are growing in the same conditions. This is the Giant Belgium that was only about 10 days behind to early little tomatoes: A very strange year.
    ...See More

An ffo, some rebloomers and late bloomers

Q

Comments (15)
    Like the Skater and Royal Jester pics. You seem to have a lot of rebloom this year. After thinking my season would never end last year due to rebloom, it has been rare to see rebloom scapes this year. Certainly not due to lack of rain as it has been plentiful (sorry for all of you that have not) and lilies seem to be putting energy into multiplying as they certainly are doing that!! Lots of nice photos in this post. Kate
    ...See More
  • newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping up again to see if there is any interest in this discussion.

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Hi Rita, I would be interested in this myself. I don't think late bloomers would rebloom here. Unless maybe we had an unusually warm fall.

• jardineratx
    16 years ago

I am very interested in hearing opinions on late re-bloomers.

• shive
    16 years ago

Rita - You definitely need some late bloomers. I don't think it's important that they be rebloomers since you probably wouldn't get any rebloom being that far north. Frankly, I seldom get rebloom on those lates that are supposed to rebloom simply because I'm so busy with my job in the fall that I don't do regular watering. They only rebloom if we have lots of rain in August and September - and we hardly ever do.

Debra

• vela75
    16 years ago

Would there be a benefit of saving the pollen of a late rebloomer to pollinate an earlier rebloomer? Maybe the only benefit would be for crossing reasons?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We usually do not get that much rain in August either.

I planted my front yard daylily bed in between two rose beds and roses need lots of water. I planned this as I figgured I would just water the daylilies when I water the roses and that is what I have been doing. Most of my new daylilies that I got from Maryotts are in that bed. I did however leave room for a small row run of something to be added kind of middle of the whole thing and that is were the El Desperados that I just ordered are going to go.

Between my Bettys Gardens and Cottage Gardens orders I have three lates coming. El Desperado for the front yard and Susan Webber and Sweet Sugar Candy going in the new backyard daylily bed. I have Paradise City on my to order list but I have so many daylilies coming in the next two weeks that I will not order again until all coming are planted. That will allow me to see how they look when the beds are laid out too.

The way I have it planned, I am doing a grouping in each front corner of the rectangular backyard daylily bed were I have gotten multiples so that I can have a rounded grouping. Left side gets China Bride, right side gets Antique Rose. In back of the China Bride grouping I will plant multiples of Susan Weber and on the other side in back of Antique Rose I will do the same with Sweet Sugar Candy. They should be in a semi-circle in back of the front groupings if I am making the layout clear. I figgue this should work well with the late bloomers not being noticable foliage wise until they kick in blooming.

But after that I don't know what to do. The rest of the bed is going to be laid out in four rows running accross and stuff from Maryotts is coming for this bed this week. All regular season bloomers. I am wanting the mass dazzling effect of a daylily bed in full bloom so there are only daylilies going here with bulb lilies to be planted in back of everything. I will also plant spring flowering bulbs in the Fall between the daylilies so I have tulips and daffodils blooming early.

I don't have enough ordered to fill the bed but will have the front row and parts of the second and back (4th) row.

So what is the best way to add late bloomers? Do people just usually mix them in with the regular daylily beds? Or put them in a separate spot to kick in after the main show? I have ordered ALL rebloomers for this back bed except for the two lates that will be in there. I intend to water it as much as possible and was planning on haveing lots of rebloom in the future.

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

Hi,

I think you will LOVE El Desperado. It gets huge, nice big flowers, not one bad leaf and the colors are really pretty together. Mine is just about to open for the first time this year, this is the 2nd year for mine.

Jen

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know that I picked El Desperado because it got such glowing reviews here on the forum. Everyone who has it seems to love it! I have seen pictures, which I really like. Thanks, Jen, I am sure I will love mine.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

You know I've asked a couple of times over the years about what it means when they say "re-bloom". I've never really gotten a firm answer so I suppose it's a "depends" response. I have several daylilies that say Re-bloom, but they never have. I thought maybe the big growers further south might be able to say what it means. Are they talking about a repeat of the spring bloom (lots of scapes and buds), or just one scape with one or two buds on it? That doesn't excite me that much. And if it depends on the variety then what is the variety that outperforms the rest? You know they have reblooming Iris too, but from what I understand the amount of bloom is significantly inferior to the one in the spring (if it reblooms at all). So this is a good question, and I'd be interested if anyone responds with an answer.

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

I'm one of those little growers down in the south and I do understand rebloom. I only grow rebloomers. Rebloom occurs differently in different cultivars. Some will send up new scapes when the first flush of bloom is nearly complete. Others will wait a week, a month, whatever, and then will send up scapes. In my garden, initial bloom plus four reblooms creates a long, long season that stresses the plant. So proper watering and fertilizing is critical. At least in my garden it is--beach sand isn't very fertile.

Rebloom scapes usually have as high a budcount as the initial bloom. If cultiars have teeth, the teeth will be more obvious on rebloom because of heat and ruffles will be more intense. It isn't unusual for some of my daylilies to have 5 initial scapes and 4-5 scapes on each rebloom. It all depends on the size of the clump. This is the reason that my normal peak season lasts for about 4 weeks. Not this year, you understand, but it usually does. I expect blooms starting in March and ending in August. This year I actually had a 2006 introduction (Ethel Buccola from D. Trimmer) that stayed in bloom for nearly 8 weeks--I got dizzy trying to count rebloom cycles. I just went out to check. She's producing two more rebloom scapes right now after a three week pause. Also Ricter is in rebloom--taller and bigger than she was earlier in the year.

Daylily rebloom rocks!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

maryl- I kinda wondered that myself about how rebloom is rebloom. I had heard that the reblooming iris aren't that great but have no personal experience with them.

beachlily- Thank you so much for taking the time to post and give a good understandable explination of rebloom. It really helps for someone like me who is newly addicted to the newer fancier daylilies. We can rarely get anything locally sold at the nurseries in pots that reblooms so of course have to order everything mail order.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually the only late season rebloomer I have managed to find is Paradise City so the whole discussion might be unnecessary. But I am thinking that there just must be others just that I don't know about them.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So if I plan a new bed or a new section and go for early season and then late season does the timing work to get the early show and then have everything blooming at once for the late season bloom time?

• shive
    16 years ago

Rita,
    These are some I have that are lates registered as reblooming.

TECHNY PEACE (has rebloomed once in the last four years)
    PARADISE CITY (has not rebloomed in the three years I've had it)
    AUTUMN JEWELS (had immediate rebloom this year!)
    TAHLEQUAH FLAME (has not rebloomed yet)
    ANTIQUE NOUVEAU (first year for this plant)
    LAST SNOWFLAKE (first year for this plant)

Debra

• robiniaquest
    16 years ago

Rita,
    This is a great thread. I am also a rose person, just getting into daylilies. My first non-ditch daylilies went in this summer. The addiction begins...

I am wondering about this also - how to keep the bloom going. It almost seems there isn't a lot of time difference between early, mid, and late. Maybe it just seems that way because I was planting all along, and had some messed up bloom times. I'm noticing Stellas everywhere still going strong though.

Right now there are some other good things in bloom. I'm not much for "dry" flowers like crape myrtles and coneflowers. But the Naked Lilies are popping up everywhere, and I have some orientals and Easter Lilies starting bloom. Again, I don't know if those last ones are typical, or because of late planting. When can rebloom be expected on daylilies? Will there likely be an early fall bloom on some of these? I'm just not seeing any daylilies blooming anywhere right now, except for the little Stellas. I'm just watching to see what happens next.

• shive
    16 years ago

Robinia,
    It's past late season here and my Stellas are reblooming, along with Little Wine Cup, Happy Returns, Autumn Jewels and Green Illussion. Final Touch, a late that is blooming very late, is still in flower. In past years, I've had some rebloom in August, September, October and into early November. I rarely have more than one scape in a clump reblooming. One of my Stella clumps has three scapes reblooming today.

Debra

• linlily
    16 years ago

Here are the plants that I've seen rebloom on this year:

Siloam Rainbow Magic (M) put up another scape as the first one was finishing up. There are only two fans.

Blue Sheen (M) started Early and is continuing to send up new scapes. My plant is now 3 years old and this is the first year it has done this.

Bonnie Barbara Allen (M) is blooming on one scape and sending up a rebloom scape.

Victoria's Secret (MLRe) has just finished blooming and a rebloom scape is coming up on the same fan. Only two fans to this plant bought last year.

Jersey Spider (MLRe) will have bloomed three times this year. It put up a very early scape, followed by a large number of scapes blooming at a similar time (still blooming right now) and now more are starting to come up. This plant started out as a single fan last spring, sent by a friend. It is now a multi-clump plant.

Open Hearth (M) sent up a rebloom scape while the other scapes were blooming.

Japanese Butterfly (ML) sent up a rebloom scape just as the first one was finishing up. There are two fans to this plant bought last year.

Prairie Blossoms (ERe) started very early and sent up some rebloom scapes, so that I had constant bloom since early June. It has just finished blooming.

Like Debra, I have had rebloom on Techny Peace at least once or twice in 6 years. It's a gorgeous plant and has had buds killed by frost in years it was still blooming in October.

Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just ordered Paradise City. I am sure that it will probably not rebloom for me but its a good looking late which I needed more lates, plus I guess there is always the chance that it will rebloom.

Thanks for the lists. I know I am going to do more about late bloomers for the garden but I still haven't decided on what or exactly how.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I read somewhere that Paradise City blooms late to very late which would be good for my garden. Want to extend bloom time.

Ordered 3 of the 3-fers from Maryotts. Of course, what was I thinking? Planning for double fans and I got nothing less than 3 huge fans, most four fans and one five fan. So I have it not only planted in the spot I ordered it for but also by my kitchen patio in back of some Thanks a Bunch daylilies I bought earlier this spring from Marietta Gardens. I believe the Thanks a Bunch are early bloomers so this should work out well.

• lefox
    16 years ago

greetings NYR ----sunny intervolt by Goldner--it's on da soon--late still has blooms in aug-intresting look too---the garden picture of the plant looks nice and what super colors to bring in fall--- shoot I love them all, co

• shive
    16 years ago

Rita - Don't be surprised if PARADISE CITY blooms midseason the first few years. Now in its third season here, it finally bloomed late.

Debra

• SirMatthew
    16 years ago

What IS considered late season for Zone 4? Is there such a thing as a map of estimated blooming seasons? My late bloomers are all done here. El Desperado put on quite a show, but it's been done for several weeks, maybe a month.

The ones I have that are supposed to be late:

El Desperado
    Ruffles Elegante
    Catherine Woodbury
    Green Flutter
    Sweet Sugar Candy

They all did well, good bud count, lush foliage, gorgeous flowers.

• dirtdigger_2006
    16 years ago

I have Lady Lucille that is currently getting ready to rebloom. I live close to the Chesapeake Bay. Nothing else reblooms for me but Happy Returns - that blooms constantly. Pardon Me is supposed to be a rebloomer but I have seen nothing yet. I am very surprised about the Lady Lucilles - it is their first season - I just purchased them and planted them the beginning of July. I have Autumn Fire currently blooming now - pretty long bloom too. I just ordered more of them.

• marlman
    16 years ago

Bloomingfields Farm has definitions of their seasons and dates in Connecticut (zone5). You can also sort their catalog by season. Their website is at www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com. I have not bought from them yet.
    Olallie Daylily Gardens in Vermont sells many late and very late bloomers. Their website is at www.daylilygarden.com. I have bought from them without any problems. Unfortunately, I have not been able to access their website the last couple of weeks.
    Tranquil Lake Nursery in Massachusetts also sorts their offerings by season. They are at www.tranquil-lake.com.

Andy

• bloomincrazy
    16 years ago

This year I've been impressed with Orchid Corsage. It's been my latest starter. It's supposed to be a rebloomer but I don't think that would happen in my zone. It didn't start to bloom until Early August..but it still has lots of buds and they are beautiful!!

Also Dragons eye has been reblooming it's head off, as well as Foolish fling- A new scape just starting on it.

Is El Desperado a rebloomer? I've not found it to be all that late here. It's been done for a while. I'm on the border of zone 4/5. Sure is a beauty though.

Siloam Rainbow Majic is still putting on a show as well as Siloam David Kirchhoff.

My absolute best performer as far as longevity has been bitsy. It's just a teeny yellow flower (cute but nothing special) but it has bloomed since may(before Stella) and I don't think it has missed a day....still putting up more scapes! I wish they would all do that.