SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
running_free

Kwanso? and Other Freebies

running_free
15 years ago

Had an interesting day a month or so ago. I was working in the morning and managed to talk my client into a flat of annuals for one of her front beds and headed off to the nursery. Seems I can never hit a nursery and not buy for myself (LOL) and came away with 3 Ruby Stellas, some Candy Lilies and Toad Lilies and a couple Best Bet irises. So much for profit margin! Anyway, taking the scenic route back I passed a sign that said "Free Daylilies-You Dig". Couldn't pass that up! After briefly speaking with the homeowner to insure they weren't all ditchlilies, I commenced digging. With little time I planted a row in front of a row of ditchlilies and all over my parent's yard just to get them in the ground. None were labeled so it was a potluck adventure. I gave at least a half dozen clumps away and all I've seen differ from what's shown up here. The Kwanso was a welcome addition and they only one I've ID'd.

After reading through some old posts I see alot of mention of it being invasive but I've read the same of Fulva in general and I've never had any problems...I have two huge clumps of ditchlilies on the end of the garage at my house and was thinking of putting this unique one in the center? I have plenty of spots where I could isolate it if they're as prolofic as I've read so far.

Anyway, here's a few pics with about 50% of the freebies blooming. Thoughts/comments welcome! (The last picture is from an old bed that's been slowly being transplanted. The maroon and yellow with maroon were once spectacular together but the mixed didn't bloom at all last year so I started removal and transplanting. Sure would love some ideas as to what it might be!)

Wes

{{gwi:873071}}

{{gwi:792687}}

Comments (11)