SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanne_in_nl

What squash will you grow next year?

susanne_in_nl
15 years ago

OK, I know the season isn't really over, but it's drawing to a close for many folks. So now the big question... what will you grow in your squash garden next year? Have there been any spectactular successes? Any monumental "What the %^*$ was I thinking of" experiences?

Personally, this year was my first try at growing winter squash when I planted seeds from a store-bought acorn squash we ate last fall. It's been a super experience with quite a learning curve. Not only was it a first for squash, we have a small area to use so we went with containers and trellised the plants as much as possible. For the most part it worked great, though I did crowd the plants, I think.

For next year I'm thinking of going with either a buttercup or another acorn squash. I'm looking for a powdery mildew resistant type that stores well and tastes OK. Since only butternut squash, some pumpkins (only in the fall) and the occasional sweet potato are available here in Holland, any other type of winter squash will taste perfect to my deprived American tastebuds... :^)

I'd love to hear about people's experiences and plans and imagine that a lot of others would as well!

Susanne

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio