SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovesblooms

Do I have to skip squash next year?

lovesblooms
10 years ago

Last year it was hot and humid and dry, and the squash were the best producers I had in my container garden. I'd never even heard of squash bugs. I got really excited and decided to build a couple cattle panel trellises to hold as many squash, melons, and cucumbers (several varieties, all heirloom except maybe two).

This year was cool and wet and I had squash bugs that I didn't recognize as the threat that they were ("Those are some weird red ant-looking things... but they're just sitting there.") and the inevitable wilt and death of every cucurbit I planted by mid-summer.

I'm ready to go again, after having read about how to deal with them. I read it's best to plant elsewhere the following year to avoid overwintering of the bugs and the disease, but I don't really have much space to plant them elsewhere. I did not use mulch, so no hiding under that. I did plant annuals in the containers with them that I had hoped would deter any pests (I'd read up as I was planning but still didn't recognize or anticipate them because of the year before). But those are easy to pull. I do worry they may hide in the crevices between containers.

And there is still the wilt. After pulling the vines and removing any remaining debris, what can I do to clean up if I really want to use that space for a cucurbit?

I can forego melons, but I want my squash and cucumbers. I am not using pesticides in my garden, love home-made solutions, and although I don't consider myself totally organic I'd like to be.

What can I do?

Comments (10)