SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodstea23

Need suggestions for backlit grasses

WoodsTea 6a MO
9 years ago

I'd like to plant some ornamental grasses near the back (west) edge of my property. Just beyond this the land drops off about three feet, protected by a stone retaining wall, to the neighbor's yard. My idea is to plant perennials that will sprawl down over the stone wall and give the neighbor something nice to look at, but then on my side of that plant a swath of grass that will get moderately tall and provide some privacy during the fall and winter. I think the backlit effect could be dramatic, especially with a taller grass.

The soil is a silty clay loam, drains reasonably well but is still fairly heavy. It's full sun. Closer to the house I am planning a rain garden. The grasses would be on the (gentle) back slope of the berm.

What grasses would you use? I have a preference for natives (this is an upland site in Kansas City, basically tallgrass prairie/savannah), but might also consider non-natives with superior performance.

I've thought about big bluestem and/or Indiangrass (for instance, Sorghastrum nutans 'Indian Steel'). I'm not sure whether I should be too concerned about reseeding or not. Behind me the neighbor's yard is a typical fescue lawn with a mulched border of low shrubs and perennials along the stone wall. They keep the lawn mowed short.

This post was edited by woodstea on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 12:03

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions