SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How to store lifted Canna in May?

I have a messy area down by the lake where the Canna live. It was meant to be cleaned up this past winter while the canna were dormant, but time got away from me. I am embarrassed to even post these photos. The weeds are so bad that what I want to do is lift all of the canna and remove them from the bed. Then I plan to apply Roundup to the entire area. I want to give the area two Roundup treatments (at least), probably a week apart. Then I will replant the canna and apply a good layer of mulch.

So here's where I need the help. These canna have been in the ground since 2005. I have never lifted canna in my life. What is the best way to store them for a short time? I would like to rinse them completely to remove any weed seed and then set them aside for about two weeks. Can I just lay them in a shady area on top of the ground? Do they have to be replanted in soil for the intermediate time? Do I have to keep them from drying out (which would almost definitely happen, even in shade, if they are laying on top of the ground)? Can I store them in an uncovered box in sphagnum peat? Dry sphagnum peat or moist peat? I have to do this project without hand-pulling all of the weeds. I need your help!

Here's the photos - yes, the canna are playing hide and seek in there if you look closely! What a mess! (Oh and that is not a tire - that is the fountain which broke loose from the center of the pond and is scheduled for repair.)

Carol in Jacksonville

{{gwi:862407}}

{{gwi:862409}}

Comments (3)