SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgood4u

Need answers about Stipa and Hakone

mgood4u
18 years ago

Thanks for looking. First, a quick one about Hakone. I got a few 1 gallon plants last summer. They are small still-lol. Should I cut them back now with the rest of my grasses? Is cutting back Hakone advisable (sp?)?

Secondly, This is what I did with my Stipa (ponytails) in late fall:

1) I brought it in and overwintered in a big pot. I watered it VERY occasionally. It is a little bigger than when I brought it in (I think) and it is still blonde in color.

3) I plan to plant it back outside when it warms up-or when ever it can take the weather.?

So, did I kill it? I have never overwintered plants. I was told to cut them back and store them in a cool basement until spring. I didn't cut this one and gave it some water. It has been in our 70ish degree house all winter.

I am afraid that if I cut it back to plant outside it will be dead and not grow. If I leave it be in our house it will look pretty as it is--dead or not. The blades of grass aren't falling out or anything.

Has anyone ever overwintered it? Should I cut it back and plant it out? When should I plant it out in z6? I'm sure it won't survive our winter. Anyone in zone 6 have it as a perennial? WHEW! that was a lot---thanks, any info on this grass is appreciated!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions