SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Design around a Magnolia 'Butterfly'

marcindy
15 years ago

Friends - it is deep winter here, with new snow on its way. What better way to pass the time with dreaming and planning (and ordering new plants from those VERY tempting catalogs). In any case, I posted a question on the tree forum about yellow magnolia trees I had seen two years ago at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Through the answers I received I think I changed my preference from magnolia 'Elizabeth' to 'Butterfly' as a potential tree for a new planting project. And I already have a spot in my front yard in mind that would be perfect... lol. There is way too much uninterrupted lawn as it is anyway... :-) So... since this is the front of the house, very visible (of course) in my suburban neighborhood, I want the bed around the magnolia to look good, spectacular if possible throughout the year. And it should have perennials that don't need much, if any, divisions over the years, since magnolias really hate to have their roots disturbed. I would like to play on the yellow theme of the early flowers with possibly golden Hakone grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' or 'beni Kazi') highlighted by bluish hostas such as 'Bressingham' or 'Hadspen'. The grasses and hostas would cover dying foliage of early bloomers such as primuals, Siberan quill, and others to complement to early yellow blossoms of the tree. I wonder though if the Hakone grass and the hostas won't get fried during the first years because the magnolia isn't creating much shade yet. What would you plant? What comes to mind that looks good for a long time without the need of digging and dividing? I hope you'll enjoy the daydreaming experiment with me.

Comments (9)