SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Suggestions for new FL homeowners

loves2read
10 years ago

We bought home in Nokomis last May and have been coming and going for the past year w/o really doing anything for the landscaping
Now that my husband has retired we will be spending more time here and are just about done with replacing the original (70's ranch) driveway with pavers and putting them on the lanai deck...

Over time we will probably be changing out the larger, original shrubs in the back yard -- no privacy fences allowed--only 4 ft tall ones--that form a hit or miss privacy screen...
we have a magnolia that is maybe 18 ft tall in middle of small horizontal backyard and some palms in the front but most of the long-term growth lacks color and is overgrown...mature growth too large for the original beds...

I bought 3 gardening books with FL orientation the other day--
Tough Plants for FL Gardens, Month-by-Month Gardening in FL , and Southern Coastal Home Landscaping...
just to get some ideas since I think this area south of Sarasota has very different growing seasons than where we live now--DFW TX area
The growing zones are 7-7b I think but not sure how many plants I am familiar with will still be good for FL...
plus our HOA has landscape guidelines--the major one being "no invasive plants"...

Right now I would like to find something to put around the base of our mailbox that gets full sun...and just to replace the tired geraniums in a barrel container in front yard...--again full sun and probably not much water...

if you have any other books or sites to suggest please do...and if you have plants that are low growing and do well in full sun then give them...
I was going to get some moss roses and verbena--would those work?
and maybe a dwarf lavender--
would like to use pink, white, maybe red accents...

Comments (11)