SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Mandatory Tree Trimming - County Code

solstice98
14 years ago

We had the dreaded note on the door earlier this week telling us that Orange County was going to be trimming trees along our street. My neighborhood lost almost 80% of our street trees during the 2004 hurricane season so we are kind of protective of our trees. I have my tipuana tipu on the street and I know some parts of it hang over but I trim it up to 10'. Unfortunately, it turns out the county code is 14' over the street and 10' over the sidewalk. Fourteen feet would have taken almost all of the branches on one side of the tree because they are kind of drapey and hang down a bit. The whole tree is only 20 feet tall.

So this morning I took the day off from work, trimmed the tree as much as I could stand to trim it and waited as they slowly made their way from tree to tree up the street. I even called the number on the side of their truck to be sure I knew exactly what their crew had been instructed to do. I saw them taking huge 5" diameter branches off trees and trimming them all the way around, not just on the street side!

Finally they got to my sweet tipu tree. Their supervisor came over with a big smile on his face - I'm sure he had seen me standing there waiting and was expecting a crazy garden lady. OK, maybe I am a crazy garden lady, but I'm also a business person and know that (almost) anything is open to negotiation. So I started out with a reasonable request and calmly stating my case... then quickly moved to begging and pleading! (So much for the mature business person tactic. LOL)

The crew supervisor turned out to be very understanding and helpful. He took the branches up to 14' but only from the curb out; leaving all the branches intact that didn't cross that line. He wielded the saw himself and was very careful. He even had his crew pick up the branches I had cut earlier and toss them in their shredder! He did it all with a smile and took the time to tell me my garden was beautiful.

A few minutes after they were finished, a company (USA Services) rep showed up at my door - I guess in response to my earlier phone call. Wow, that was a surprise and pretty amazing customer service. I told him that the crew supervisor had listened to me, worked with me and responded well to my concerns. I'll be sending an email to the company to tell them the same thing!

Woo hoo! Happy ending!

Kate

Comments (9)