SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Foliage?

JohnnieB
18 years ago

Regardless of their flowers, what daylilies have the best FOLIAGE? Go out into your garden right now and tell me which of the daylilies that you're growing would look good even without flowers. Because the ONE thing that keeps me from truly loving daylilies is their foliage (well, maybe the deadheading too). They have such great flowers but so many (I would say the vast majority) have really ugly foliage, especially after blooming but often while in bloom as well.

I was visiting my sister in Buffalo last weekend and most of her daylilies fit this pattern: great flowers, awful foliage. It probably didn't help that her plants were growing in a spot that gets shade most of the day, although that didn't seem to stop them from blooming their heads off. Most had pale green foliage that was flopping all over. But one of her plants--also growing in shade--really impressed me with excellent dark green foliage that was dense and upright in a very neat and handsome clump. It's not a fluke because I remember this particular plant from last summer--even without flowers the foliage was that striking--and this time it was blooming. The flowers were a bright yellow approaching chartreuse, becoming a strong green in the throat--not my cup of tea, or I would have asked for a division. Sorry, no photos and she has no clue what any of her plants are, as they were all planted by a previous owner. But this demonstrates that good foliage is at least possible, even if it appears to have been almost completely neglected by breeders (hint, hint).

Now if only the breeders could work on self-cleaning flowers too...

Comments (19)