SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_in_bristol

Sinningia Basics??

jane_in_bristol
21 years ago

Hi, well, I posted on the houseplant forum, and was SURPRISED to see... Gesneriad forum! Who knew? Cool!

Anyhow, I have my first Sinningias, which I found out by accident had tubers! Neat! But now, I don't know if they need a period of dormancy, and whether, (or how) I should "force" them into dormancy. In the heat and my own neglect at the end of the summer, they had a period of dormancy where they at first languished, and then looked dead, but got watered on occasion only because they were in the same long tray as an AV, and I was too lazy to "clean them up". Then, they completely surprised me by growing again once the weather turned cooler. I've repotted them into little clay pots, moved the AV elsewhere because there wasn't room, and converted their shared tray into a "pebble tray" for humidity.

I have S. 'Apricot Dream' , S. 'Silhouette' and S. 'April Star' x self, all of which I got last spring at a combined plant sales from the local AGGS chapter.

Jon has been nice enough to comment over on the HP forum, and discussed the exposure of the tuber in the larger species, but now I'm feeling daunted by the question of dormancy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jane

Comments (24)