SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Mico mini sinningia terrarium

larry_b
19 years ago

Hello all,

I am replanting my 6 x 6 x 11 inch terrarium. Or I should say my micro mini sinningia flowerbed. As many of you remember I have had a terrible time with mold in this thing. I also had an asparagus fern in the too. Well, I have taken the asparagus fern out as several of you had recommended. I baked some potting medium in the oven to sterilize it and I am ready to go. At the moment I have a sinningia "Bright Eyes", a "White Sprite" and a clump of " Wood Nymph".

I plan on putting a layer of charcoal on the bottom and then a layer of potting medium. Now the question is how to keep the mold that is on the micro minis from spreading back into the terrarium. Should I use Tinactin and spray each plant roots and all? Would a quick spray of Tinactin over the entire surface of the potting medium be a good preventative? I also have some Physan. Would it be good to spray each clump of plants with that instead?

I have everything in plastic bags right now so I have time to wait for an answer. Even though I have had the previous set up for about a year and a half I still can't say that I am real comfortable with terrarium environments. My biggest concern is that dog gone mold. I just don't want to have to fight with it anymore. A fan is out of the question. There is not enough room in there to have a fan. If it were external I would have to water twice a day because of evaporation. Are there any other suggestions you would have to make this terrarium a success?

Anyway, I hope to hear from some of you soon and really appreciate any help you can give me.

Larry

Comments (7)