SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingfish2

Springtime veggie garden pics

flyingfish2
14 years ago

This being my first year at "gardening", currently experiencing all the horrors of heat and humidity in S Florida :>) If it is isn't stinkbugs eating a hole in the ripening tomato and then the little hardshell black bugs digging in and planting eggs that then make maggots to gnats attacking the wound. Only cherries currently setting any fruit.YUK!!

Just now getting the first post freeze plant's tomatoes. they seem to be much prettier fruit than the plant's fruit that suffered through the Jan freezes. Here is a pict of one from a 2/15/09 planting.(notice the dollar bill underneath) It is from a HD brandywine seed.

{{gwi:21521}}

This guy measures over 5.25 inch across and almost 4 inch tall. Must weigh well over a pound, but did not weigh it.

I am totally sold on SWC's made from surplus 5 gal buckets. Benefits include; saving the landfield from these buckets, no excess run off of nutrients, min water usage, no weeds, almost totally renewable soiless mix for growing medium, less splitting of fruit when the rainy season hit. Sure I forgot something. Here is a pic of the bucket which produced the above tomato.

{{gwi:854634}}

Can't wait til next fall for "our" real veggie growing season.

In addition to tomatoes, have eggplant, onions, okra, cukes, peppers, and some Tom mystery plants. Here is another one for you to ID please Tom ( got to have a better system of keeping up with seed to plant ID)

{{gwi:854635}}

The Vero swap was fun,

bernie

Comments (15)