SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefly_christina

Help save my episcia, please!

Firefly_Christina
20 years ago

I am in Dallas, TX, and went into my local Home Depot two days ago to find a plant that could withstand my brown thumb. (They offer a one-year guarantee on the plant, you see, and will replace it even if I am the reason it died.) The lady kindly sent me to the ivy display and said I better stick with them. I got a couple english ivy plants and saw this adorable soft, fuzzy one mixed in and picked it up too. It didn't have any care or identification labels, just that the 6.5" pot cost however much, so I got on the Internet to find out what it is. It looks like I am now the proud owner of a Bronze Queen Episcia. I could be wrong on whether it is a Bronze Queen or not. Mine has broad, medium green leaves with a silver undertone through the veins. I just searched through Google's episcia pictures until I came across one on the Af. Violet Society of Canada's homepage that looks the closest to it.

So now I am a little worried about the poor thing and have no clue how to care for it. Everything I've found about care is written with the assumption a gardner is reading it...and I don't understand a thing other than it wants a warm, humid place to live. There are a handful of leaves that were wrinkled and dead that I pulled off. A few leaves are half-dead (brown, shriveled and dried) and half alive (green and thriving). I don't know if the dead brown spots are from poor care in two days time, or from a problem it already had.

Overall, I want to be able to keep the thing as I do like it, but I don't have a clue on how. Could you kindly lay it out for me in beginner's terms? I might have to take up the store on the 1 year guarantee, but I would at least like to try to keep it alive and see it bloom.

Your help is really appreciated!

Christina

{{gwi:831674}}

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County