SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tess_2008

Disappointment in naturalized bed - did I cause it?

tess_2008
15 years ago

I have two large 30x100 areas of naturalized daylilies. I know they are the ditch lily type, but still they are old and a lovely backdrop. Here is the deal:

They usually have a zillion scapes and buds. This year the area on the flat had probably 40% less or more, but the hillside was beautiful and full.

Last year I read that some daylily grower often mows theirs when they start to look a little sad, and then they green up until fall, etc.

Well, I did this to the flat area. Note that I said the flat had the problem, but the hillside (never mowed) was fantastic.

Do you think I caused this with the mowing? I suspect I did. It is such a HUGE disappointment. Do you think it will recover on its own for next year? or do I need to do something?

Oh! The only other thing that I did do this year was early in the season I used some broadleaf killer to try to control some rampant weed/vine in the flat ara. Seemed to have no damaging effect on the daylilies there, though. Actuallly didn't do much for this type of weed/vine, either. That will be another topic for another post.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH