SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
townlakecakes

Disappointed in the tile I just received :-/

townlakecakes
7 years ago

I'm in love with encaustic cement tiles, but they were a little past the limit of our budget, then we had unexpected $2000 plumbing expense, so we're trying to recover that where we can. I found a ceramic lookalike on HD online, and after being out of stock for 6 weeks, i finally ordered It and it came today.

Disappointed isn't a strong enough word. The white on my black and white tile more closely resembles putty. Here it is compared to both the cheap HD putty colored shelves that are serving as our temp pantry, and with our cabinet door sample

I've only ever seen cement tile online..never in person. Are any of them bright white or is the nature of the process that all the whites are off and this ceramic is just copying that? For a full 12", it will be right next to Carrara, so off white just won't do. I don't wanna make myself crazy trying to find an affordable cement tile if none of them will truly make me happy anyway. I can spend that energy finding exactly the right subway tile instead.

Finally, here's the rendering of our kitchen, mocked up with the above tile, which won't really tolerate muddy colors. Yes, our floor will be lapis lazuli blue linoleum. It makes me so happy!

Comments (39)

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Keep shopping, you can use the kitchen without the backsplash until you find exactly what you want. Can't wait to see the final photos with that blue linoleum in place!

townlakecakes thanked Stan B
  • Related Discussions

Just received Munstead Wood - Boo Hoo

Q

Comments (20)
    Kate, I don't have a bed for the newer ones yet. I will need another raised bed built. Can't do that myself. My handyman and gardener will do that next month. Thanks all for your good info. I DID notice that the cane and roots looked very large. Guess I should have figured out that it wasn't a 'baby'. Well, I put it in a pot (and did as Kim suggested). And I am sure that it will be great. Haven't looked at it since the first, my boy pup cut his rear leg and thigh yesterday and had to be operated on for 2 hours. He is at home, whimpering and being fed home made chicken soup. God I hate it when my pups get sick or hurt. Well, I better stop and try to take him outside for a potty break. He's only 35 pounds, but for an 'older lady', that's a lot to carry up and down steps. Thanks again all, andrea
    ...See More

New to begonia Rex (just received three for Valentine's)

Q

Comments (7)
    i would think that sacramento would be a great place for begonias in a sheltered outdoor area for at least half of the year. in oregon, i had mine outdoors when the night temperatures were above 55 and kept them out until fall. the ones kept outdoors did fantastic. some rex cutlivars are more tolerant than others, but they all like humidity. the one on the very right in your picture is a pretty easy one. you'll notice the other two will develop spots if and crisped edges if you let the humidity drop too low. i'm not really familiar with your area, so you may experiment with both clay and plastic pots to see which works better, and requires less monitoring for dryness. i use only glazed clay and plastic. you can always propagate some leaves so you'll have backups and then experiment with different growing conditions with your original plants. -ming: i've killed a lot of plants during my "learning process!"
    ...See More

Just received a gift.. fig..help

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you for the reply. She apparently bought it at a garage sale so it was a cutting from someones tree, sadly she can't remember the address.I have moved it to a very large pot and thought I should put it in the greenhouse over the winter then figure out what to do later, should I water it , feed it etc. It is quite tall with a trunk about the thickness of a Sharpie pen, it has five branches that are only about maybe a foot at the most long, with lovely shoots in the axils, then the growing tip is about the same. It is in excellent condition. Is there anyway of figuring out how old it is from this. XX Jeannine
    ...See More

Disappointed in flowers I received

Q

Comments (32)
    OK......it was 1-800 Flowers. Mine came just as justgotabme's.....vase packed separately inside the box, directions, water treatment, etc.. Only about two of the flowers were buds. I remember thinking as I opened them that I hoped DD hadn't spent very much because they looked pretty forlorn. I threw out the few that were left today. Looks like I just got a bad bunch, but still. I'll post again if they answer my email or I get a delivery.
    ...See More
  • oldbat2be
    7 years ago

I second Stan's suggestions. I'll be glad to photoshop backsplash ideas once the major design elements are in place. The blue linoleum will be fun to work with!

townlakecakes thanked oldbat2be
  • townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Oldbat. It's incredible how much time you give to do that!

It feels like were ages from even starting to put things back in. We've been doing framing and plumbing for a month. DH is taking some time for a 5 day weekend this week so we can wrap up the framing get rid of the dumpster on the drive, and have the electrician and drywall guys come in and give us a break.

We lived 7 years with kitchen outlets that were poorly seated and covers that we're always cracked from the tile being too thick, so I was really hoping to have the tile settled before the electrician comes. Oh well. Just one more thing. :-p

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

I saw that tile today in Home Depot. It definitely didn't appear black and white to me - more light and dark gray. It was definitely cute but not if you are expecting bright white.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I really wanted cement tile for our bathroom floor and everyone kept pushing me to the look a likes, but none of them seemed to even come close. Someone here steered me to the "leftovers" or sale section of one online store. Sorry, but I can't remember which store. . I didn't end up ordering b/c I couldn't find anyone in our area to install. I hope it works out for you. I adore cement tile.

ETA: Here is the clearance section cement tile shop clearance If they don't have anything you like right now, keep checking back.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Check overstock.com I have seen it there.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

(Someone might be me lol. I'm crazy about cement tiles..didn't go with them, in the end, but looked high and low. Here's another shop www.villalagoontile.com

I think I ordered my sample from them. It was beautiful. But very very slippery when wet (I considered them for floors..so no((

my favorites are here though..https://www.emeryetcie.com/en/what/tiles/cement/models/

yep, I know. but no VAT)) they have all sorts of wonderfulness there. I just go there sometimes to look and admire.)

Since I'm in Southern CA, there are also a couple of very nice brick and mortar stores where you can see the collections of cement tiles, IRL. Probably will be able to send you samples too. Let me know if you want the links.

And for more or less reasonably priced look alike porcelain look here: http://www.annsacks.com/products/tile-stone-mosaic/los-jardines-field-tile#/los-jardines-field-tile%2Fnegro. but these are 12 by 12..too big for the wall

and this is probably a real deal, and smaller too, but is expensive:

http://www.annsacks.com/collections/eastern-promise

saw both collections in store and whatever looks like white is actually quite white.

take your time, don't rush..if you've already decided to go with such a statement you need to be sure.

I didn't install the backsplash of my dreams; but if I could afford it-I'd never regret it. I still have the sample and look at it from time to time:)

townlakecakes thanked aprilneverends
  • townlakecakes thanked aprilneverends
  • barncatz
    7 years ago

townlakecakes, I love your linoleum! I think you might be right about looking for solid tile, maybe in a trippy tile shape to pick up on the floor vibe. Just my two cents. :))

• pamghatten
    7 years ago

Keep looking until you find the right shade of colors, can't wait to see your blue floor!

• smiling
    7 years ago

trend-alert-bold-colorful-grout-colored-grout-blue-grout-5729603fa45f30b81220d55c-w1000_h1000.jpg

you could consider bringing that wonderful blue up to your grout lines, matched with an interesting shaped white tile

• m_gabriel
    7 years ago

Is that a Marmoleum floor? We just had Marmoleum installed in our kitchen and even though the installer did a terrible job and it may have to be a redo, I *love* the Marmoleum!

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Who knew linoleum (yes, m_gabriel it is Marmoleum!) could be so exciting? I love the lapis lazuli color and they've discontinued it, so I ordered about 20% overage and it's sitting in the garage waiting for me. I clicked together a couple pieces when it first came to get an idea how it would look in our light and it looks GORGEOUS in person.

Im pretty sure I want cement tile. The blue grout is really cool but I think we've pretty much reached the limit on blue with the floor ;-)

Daisy and april, thanks for all the links. I will definitely keep my eye on those clearance sites. I'm sorry neither of you got to use them. I almost cried when DH told me he didn't like them at all and it looked like I wouldn't even have a chance of getting them. He has since done a 180 and was just as disappointed as I was when the HD samples were rubbish.

I also found riadtile.com. They only have a handful of patterns but they're all $9/sqft. And they're in Dallas, so if shipping is exhorbitant, it's a 4 1/2 hr drive and an overnight stay without kids to pick them up. Doesn't sound too horrible. I'll probably order a couple samples next week. 2 days of framing down and 2 to go. Too busy and too tired to deal with anything else. Hoping to have windows tomorrow. We've got nothing but plastic keeping the critters out tonight!

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oldbat, when you get some time, do you mind working your photoshop magic with these 3 tiles? I'm partial to the first 2, but DH doesn't like the geometric of the first and I'm a little worried the second has to much black. The first is a single 8x8 tile (they didn't have a pic of 4 together) but the other 2 are 4 tiles (16x16) Thank you!!!

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Townlakecakes - Here you go! I was astounded at how the first tile turned out - love it! It's mesmerizing and so cheerful.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

I'll be anxious to hear what you think, townlakecakes! I like the last one. Not sure about the first, I keep going back and forth but I think I really like it with the floor vibe the more I look at it.

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you thank you old bat. Your work just ruled out the second. It reads dark, as suspected. No good.

Estrella is still in the running. I was able to find the same tile at Cement Tile Shop and they had a picture with it on the wall behind a hood. DH likes it better now from seeing it someplace besides a floor. He's not a good visualizer!

Barncatz, I was all set to come on here and say that for some reason, I just don't like the fleur, but now I'm not so sure. The mix of the quatrefoil and ,deal lions in a large scale kind of remind me of a large scale Talavera. I may order a sample.

I've found a couple more in stock at CTS that we're going to sample too.

Im still concerned about the brightness of the whites, and wondering if either marble or cement tile has to go, which one is more important to me.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Town, did you start with any inspiration images?

Is your rendering accurate in that you plan to have two different counter materials? Carrara and what else?

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The rendering is accurate for materials...mostly walnut counters, with a Carrara marble "island" that happens to be immediately adjacent to the walnut :-D

Some inspiration

• eam44
    7 years ago

Only one of those images has blue floors, and in that space there is no backsplash.

Blue floors, white cabinets and walnut counters go together, but my concern is that there is no room in that mix for the added complexity of the tiles you love in that scheme. Were it not so expensive I'd recommend that you consider a more modern white sheet glass backsplash - I know that's not what you want.

But blue floor or no blue floor, my concern is that black and white tiles might not really look that great with walnut counters. Do you have any images of those together, because I can't find even one. Would you consider using blue and white encaustic tiles instead?

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Eam - LOVE those blue and white encaustic tiles!

townlakecakes - while I really like the first tile, I'm not sure it's right for your kitchen.

Not the right blue:

Trying to match the floor more:

Isn't this stunning with the wood? I was wondering how a brown would look:

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Eam. Your tile insight is always helpful. I do have a photo with walnut and black and white encaustic, and I find it striking. They *are* thin on the ground.

The thing my inspiration photos have in common is a combination of a bold blue on a large surface (mostly cabinets, but the one floor, because almost nobody seems to have blue Marmoleum in a residential space,) a strong pattern, a mix of wood and metal finishes, and finally, white walls to ground it all.

Im a good cake decorator, good enough even to have my cakes published in print and featured on blogs, and pretty confident In my color sense. My mother is a painter who isn't afraid to tell me when she thinks I'm off track.

However, it seems that this has been an exercise in futility. We reviewed our budget last night after a much larger than expected siding expenditure (who knew we'd have to take the siding off almost the entire first floor in the back?) and our flexibility with the tile has gone. Our cap was $15 all in, with shipping, grout, thin set and everything. Looks like we'll be going for subway after all. Since it's the last thing, we may see if we can squeeze enough to put cement behind the range, but I'm not sure that's the look I want.

If we go with subway, I'll be able to carry it all the way up the wall on the coffee bar, which I couldn't have done with the encaustic cement.

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also, I do love the blue, but I think there's enough in the floor and wouldn't want to repeat it. The brown I don't like at all. X-p

• eam44
    7 years ago

I really want you to have what you want. You could do something temporary (like stainless sheeting) and put your beloved tile in next year perhaps, or the year after. When are you beginning the kitchen work?

Thank you for the image of wood and the black and white tile. If you were to add blue to that would you still like the look? If so, I can try to find something more affordable for you.

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes. Absolutely. Love.

i don't think a temporary solution would work for us. The temporary is very likely to become Permanent. We have a wall we put up to separate 2 bedrooms. Did it 5 years ago right before DD was born. We've never finished it on the master side. :-( Also, we have 2 bathrooms that need to be done in the next couple of years. When we moved in, we inherited painted fiberglass tubs that are flaking and yuck

Ill have to think about whether I want to keep looking. I might rather just get off this roller coaster and throw my energy into accessories like a fun Ikat rug and art for the walls. Going inexpensive subway will definitely take some of the stress off DH, who's beginning to worry (unnecessarily, I think) that we'll run out of money before we're finished. He loves the cement tile now, too. But I see him worry and I think I'd rather take a little off his shoulders.

• isabel98
    7 years ago

I think the wood, blue and black/white tile look great. That is basically my combo however my blue is a bit warmer and more of an accent. here is walnut and with black/white cement floor transition. go for it now cuz doing it later like you said won't happen for a long long long long time. good luck

• eam44
    7 years ago

For what it's worth, I think white subway tiles will look fantastic.

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

townlakecakes - First off - what a FABULOUS cake!

Next...bah! GW will help you find the right tile, at the right pricepoint. If I understood correctly, your max pricepoint (including shipping) was $15 / square foot.

I'd suggest a new post, stating your general area, the tiles you are looking for, and soliciting help finding tile priced to your budget.

I spent a lot of time on the VillaLagoonTile site a while back and often go back.

Checking out their sale section:

$12.68/SF - 8" tile

Tulip C Black and White $11.96 - Rats they only have 36 square feet

Same tile, but with colors reversed. (I think lighter works better in your space).

I apologize in advance for the next two, but visually, they makes the backsplash pop:

Chevrons:

I really, REALLY would hesitate making a final decision based on the rendering you're showing. I find myself wanting to hide the floor (distract the eye with something bold - 'hey, look over here!'), when I know you will want to make it the star. Take EAM's advice, keep working towards a solution, but wait until the elements are in place.

• kelleg69
    7 years ago

Home Depot has tile that looks like cement tile. For $3.97 a square foot. Check it out. Several options. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Twenties-Classic-7-3-4-in-x-7-3-4-in-Ceramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-11-sq-ft-case-FRC8TWCL/206160401

• eam44
    7 years ago

Golly, kelleg, that tile looks familiar... a lot like the original post :-)

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

townlakecakes - I wanted to point out that seeing options you dislike is just as valuable as seeing those you like. Please don't be disheartened - we are in this for the long haul with you!

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much, you guys. It sure means a lot.

And lol Kelleg69.

So...to the options above...no colors. I'm sticking with solid white subway or black and white cement. As you said, Oldbat, the black and white ones with the balance much more toward white are going to be the winners here. The first one you did for me heavy in the black made the whole room feel darker and sad.

The blue floor in direct sun looks just like it does above, but is toned down a bit in normal light. I don't really need it to be the star, in fact I think part of the reason I'm looking for a pattern here is something to draw the eye up.

With that said, another *expensive* option I looked at (specifically when I thought we couldn't do lino and were going to have wood in the kitchen) was glazed brick tiles. A couple of weeks ago I was at floor and decor and found some that were around $9/sqft I think. I wasn't so sure about them, because they didn't have a sample board yet, but I've found same or similar product online and I think they look quite good.

• eam44
    7 years ago

I love Glazed Thin brick. Wait for your cabinets to be installed to be certain the whites will look good together

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My post got cut short. Here's the actual tile. Available in bright or creamy white.

Isabel, that walnut floor is beautiful! Thank you for the encouragement!

oldbat, those last 2 hurt! I like chevrons, but I prefer them in colors that aren't black.. gray, yellow, and pink probably. Or metallics. That would be quite the backsplash!

The checkerboard is just so country. And ouchie :-)

And yes, I will definitely start a new thread when I'm ready to hunt in earnest. We still haven't gotten to drywall :-p

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eam, we have the cabinets in the shed. Oven cabinet was too big to maneuver so it's standing sentry in the corner of the living room. (Craigslist purchase) However, I know that can change with lighting, so I'll wait.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

townlakecakes, I laughed at your 'temporary becoming permanent' post. Isn't that the truth? I had painted the osb underlayment in our bedroom with a porch white paint and it would still be there except we refinanced a while back and the bank kept calling it 'unfinished'. I thought of it as 'innovative', 'daring', and 'we're pooped'. So, I feel ya. Just keep on keeping on. :)

• kelleg69
    7 years ago

Whoops! The HD is the tile you didn't like? Sorry! I got lost in all the other options I forgot where it started. Too bad.

• townlakecakes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Barncatz...it's one of the curses of being a DIYer. Our bedroom will finally get done because drywall is one of the few things we're having done for us. Our bedroom is also *the reason* we are paying to have it done. Isnt painted OSB considered industrial chic?