SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Is bigger always better? ;-}

Ok, you are in a nursery (ahhâ¦sweet winter fantasy, lol!) . There is a plant you have been looking for sitting over there on the shelf. They have two sized pots of this plant, big and little (the smaller costs less). Which do you go for in most cases? Does it depend on WHAT the plant is?

Is your way of thinking that buying the bigger one means you can divide it and get several plants from it? Or that you won't have to wait years for it to mature since it is already big?

Or are you the sort that would rather pay less and get a smaller plant, since it will get big eventually anyway?

I got to thinking about this the other day when someone I did a seed trade with said they hadn't bought such and such a plant because the nurseries always sold huge pots of it for a lot more than they are willing to pay.

Have to say I am the same way. Most times I would rather buy the small pot for less (which essentially means I can buy more of other things ;-). Plus I like doing this because if it is something I have never grown before and dies out, I won't feel quite as bad as I would have killing a large and more $$ plant! LOL.

Only times I prefer to buy the bigger pot is if it is a evergreen/slow growing shrub or the bigger plant looks healthier than the small guy.

How about you?

CMK

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living